what does a white poppy mean

124»

Comments

• superbass88superbass88 Posts: 543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JohnQuig wrote: »
    I won't wear a poppy, I find it's just propaganda to get you to support the troops. Sorry, but it's true. If you want to remember them, do it privately, don't force it upon anyone else.

My reasons are slightly more personal, with there being a lot of Irish in my family and the Bloody Sunday massacre personally effecting relatives of mine, I simply can't honour soldiers that murdered innocent people.

I'm the same, the money paid for the poppy will go towards those soldiers who served in Ireland as well and I'm not comfortable with that..
  • PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
    Forum Member
    floozie_21 wrote: »
    Thank you.

Roland Mouse - just because this is what it means to me doesn't mean I'm telling everyone else to stop wearing a red poppy. I said in my previous post, the poppies mean different things to different people.

Roland, when posting indignantly about Remembrance on this thread, said that those who disagreed with him on this should be put against a wall and shot.

Pretty crass, at the very least.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's pleasing to me that more and more people actually think about the poppy nowadays and more people are beginning to challenge the jingoistic glorification of war and soldier worship the media imposes on ordinary people. 10 years ago people just wore the poppy and tugged their forelocks without questioning but I suppose we have had the atrocities of Iraq and Afghanistan since then.

That and the media pushing and pushing to the point where people start to get sick of it.

I truly think the world is beginning to move on and for that I am thankful. The BBC and their "Festival" of "Remembrance" really is awful though.

A strange attitude for someone who has the same name as a famous battle. :rolleyes:
  • patricia50patricia50 Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect that porkchopexpress has achieved the desired reaction with his/her comments. If trolling makes him/ her feel better, how sad.
  • floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    patricia50 wrote: »
    I suspect that porkchopexpress has achieved the desired reaction with his/her comments. If trolling makes him/ her feel better, how sad.

What part was trolling?
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    I don't like the military, and I don't like war. I detest the annual celebration and glorification of war that the Poppy drivel has become.

Remembrance itself has it's place, but when it becomes indulgent, mawkish, jingoistic and agenda driven I don't want to know. And there should come a time when people move on and stop "remembering".

This year's poppy drivel has been more low key in the media than in recent years. A welcome development and hopefully a sign of things to come.

It's not a celebration.
  • gv6lgv6l Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    floozie_21 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was chosen because it went better with the outfit!

Exactly!
    She's wearing a red poppy here :rolleyes:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s103/the-x-factor/news/a530079/the-x-factor-2013-big-band-week-poll-who-sang-best.html
    Forum Member
    garbage456 wrote: »
    It's not a celebration.
    With the "Festival" of Remembrance you could have fooled me.
    Forum Member
    patricia50 wrote: »
    These are my sincerely held views and they are pretty mainstream as demonstrated by the level of support on the thread. Why do you wish to dismiss them as trolling? Is it to make yourself feel better?