Would you buy a less expensive iPhone?

124»

Comments

• Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dontpannic wrote: »
    What I mean is that for example Whatsapp is an additional service. It's an instant messaging tool over and above SMS. Not everyone has Whatsapp but those who do would probably prefer to use it rather than their own SMS allowance.
    With Android, you can select Whatsapp as your default messaging application if appropriate, but you still have to think "What are they likely to use" before launching an app to text them, be it the stock SMS app or Whatsapp.
    iMessage automatically detects if the other user has iMessage enabled within the stock Messaging application. No user interaction or thought is required at all. Contacts without iMessage will send via SMS, contacts with iMessage will automatically send via iMessage (to all their devices - Macs/iPad/iPod/iPhone).

Which I can see as a benefit and a hindrance, less so since new apps are stored to SD card. You can't remove the standard apps and if they do the same job but one is prettier you have to put up with having more than one app with identical functionality.

See above - I don't even have to think about it. I set my recipient, if he/she has iMessage, it sends via iMessage, if he/she doesn't, it sends via regular SMS.

Let's make a list of 'advanced Android features' that actually enhance day to day usage of the device:
    1. 'Widgets / information on lockscreen'
    2. ...
    Please feel free to add some more as I'm struggling.

Made I laugh. :D

Here we go again.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    dontpannic wrote: »
    What I mean is that for example Whatsapp is an additional service. It's an instant messaging tool over and above SMS. Not everyone has Whatsapp but those who do would probably prefer to use it rather than their own SMS allowance.
    With Android, you can select Whatsapp as your default messaging application if appropriate, but you still have to think "What are they likely to use" before launching an app to text them, be it the stock SMS app or Whatsapp.
    iMessage automatically detects if the other user has iMessage enabled within the stock Messaging application. No user interaction or thought is required at all. Contacts without iMessage will send via SMS, contacts with iMessage will automatically send via iMessage (to all their devices - Macs/iPad/iPod/iPhone).

Yeah because thinking about who uses what is so hard isn't it :D

iMessage when i had my iphone 4S was also absolutely useless and would only ever work if i had a 3G signal. Would refuse to work over GPRS so was very limited in an area with a craps signal. Whatsapp works over GPRS.

There's little point in banging on about how good imessage is when it can only be used between iusers! That limits its usability already. Whatsapp is cross platform which makes it much better than imessage.
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Yeah because thinking about who uses what is so hard isn't it :D

iMessage when i had my iphone 4S was also absolutely useless and would only ever work if i had a 3G signal. Would refuse to work over GPRS so was very limited in an area with a craps signal. Whatsapp works over GPRS.

There's little point in banging on about how good imessage is when it can only be used between iusers! That limits its usability already. Whatsapp is cross platform which makes it much better than imessage.

BIB - funny he failed to mention that to me. The way he described it, I thought it was cross-platform compliant.