Forum Member
✭✭
on so little talent?!:confused: >:(

Comments

• Options
    big bang theorybig bang theory Posts: 4,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair the public did drop him in the bottom two multiple times, the judges kept saving him though in some of the most disgraceful deadlock decisions in the shows history.
  • Options
    PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he's on work experience, he just gets thrown the odd oversized tooth for his troubles :cool:
  • Options
    nessie17nessie17 Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have to say I always liked him! When he was on the show i loved his little exchanges with Gary Barlow each week!! Certainly not a talented singer (never was) but bags of personality! I'm not remotely surprised he has gone on to do so well to be honest!
  • Options
    GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ThugAngel wrote: »
    on so little talent?!:confused: >:(

He's quite good on BOTS, but I think he peaked there.
  • Options
    Singy ThingySingy Thingy Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is not a great singer,(though he isn't terrible at it either) but he is talented. He is an excellent, natural entertainer and good at hosting/presenting/interviewing. He is also charismatic.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is not a great singer,(though he isn't terrible at it either) but he is talented. He is an excellent, natural entertainer and good at hosting/presenting/interviewing. He is also charismatic.

He's also got a very good reputation within TV circles as being thoroughly professional, polite, hard working, dedicated and having an excellent work ethic.

He's not the typical z lister with a sense of entitlement. He knows he's in a privileged position and is prepared to work hard at keeping himself there
  • Options
    nessie17nessie17 Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He presented an event i was involved with a few years back and the kindness and generosity with his time he showed to an old hobo type hanging around outside was extraordinary!
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    He's also got a very good reputation within TV circles as being thoroughly professional, polite, hard working, dedicated and having an excellent work ethic.

He's not the typical z lister with a sense of entitlement. He knows he's in a privileged position and is prepared to work hard at keeping himself there

Yes, I agree. Heinously awful singer but a naturally warm and engaging personality and he is brilliant on live TV.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He got so far because he's a natural. He is brilliant at presenting and he knows how to engage. I was amazed at how good he was right from the start. You either have it or you don't and he has it. Plus I guess his looks would also appeal to some. He had found his niche so well done to him.
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    You could say the same about Christopher Mallony.

To be fair, Rylan was a terrible contestant on X Factor but he's gone down the Sam & Mark route. Terrible singers on a singing contest and have ended up doing brilliantly as presenters.

Even I find Rylan funny at times on Xtra Factor.
  • Options
    LieteLiete Posts: 1,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He got the usual help from the producers the joke acts always get. Big productions so they can be called "entertaining" and mask their lack of talent, while everyone else has to stand still on stage. Basically never being on early, the constant judges saves, throwing other contestants under the bus etc We see it every year now.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hitstastic wrote: »
    You could say the same about Christopher Mallony.

To be fair, Rylan was a terrible contestant on X Factor but he's gone down the Sam & Mark route. Terrible singers on a singing contest and have ended up doing brilliantly as presenters.

Even I find Rylan funny at times on Xtra Factor.

Both Sam and Mark were really good singers and gave some decent performances on PI. They didn't stand a chance as they were up against the first sob story/manipulated winner and they were then lumped together as a duet and given a cheesy karaoke single.
  • Options
    topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rylan was a joke act. He just wasn't very funny.

I do like him on extra factor though
  • Options
    Visitor QVisitor Q Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In a sense he's got where he is through luck rather than talent, because he came to our attention as a would-be singer and he really wasn't a good singer.

But it was immediately apparent that he was likeable and witty, and that's enabled him to carve out a career as a presenter. He's never going to present Newsnight or Antiques Roadshow, but fair play to him, in the context of the lightweight popular programmes he does, he's very good at his job.
  • Options
    EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »

I think this probably explains a lot - I've heard he is great to work with as well. Personally I find his presenting style appalling, particularly on This Morning when he covers anything other than showbiz fluff but he clearly has his fans. And, as you say, there doesn't seem to be any sense of entitlement there so I certainly don't begrudge him his success.
  • Options
    shaneomaxshaneomax Posts: 1,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably because in comparison to others what he lacked for in terms of talent he without doubt made up for in personality, he grew on me not because of hs singing but he was amusing to watch.
  • Options
    ThiswillbefunThiswillbefun Posts: 10,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. Find an idiot who'll do anything without asking questions.
    2. Give them a job reading a script to idiots who don't ask questions.
  • Options
    JohnStannardJohnStannard Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    the public like an underdog
  • Options
    All Of MeAll Of Me Posts: 2,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't stand him.
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    the public like an underdog

Such a shame when the underdog gets sent packing at judges houses.
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    he is good on xtra factor to be fair