The Leona Lewis Appreciation Thread (Part 62)

Comments

• Singy ThingySingy Thingy Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ldjs17 wrote: »
    Great singer, but not bigger range than Leona. Hopefully he will so great on the show, one of my favorite so far.

Nate really does have a bigger range than Leona's. She has just a bit over 3 (beautiful!)octaves. I am his coach, and have been for years. He has as rare a voice as Leona, and we bonded over music and having monster range in common. He usually sings within a performance range of about A2 to C6 , but we used to run scales together all the time, and after some years,once he developed his voice , he could nearly matches my 4 octaves . There are some clips on Youtube that show his range. Sadly, the best of his performance was cut in the final edit of the broadcast.

I am glad to hear he is one of your favorites.If you love Leona, you obviously know great singing when you hear it :D

I loved the clip of her performing Memory. As far as chart success, I think she will be charting again . I isn't a question of will she but a question of when. Her vocals are a lot more versatile than she gets credit for. That was what the X Factor kind of kept her from showing, I think. With her, they focused on her 6th octave money notes and agility, but kept her in the ballad/Mariah-esque lane. They did right by her, but still, she was capable of much more, as she has shown. She is one of the few long former X Factor alumni I still follow the career of enough to go out of my way to see what she is up to. It's great that she is showing over time that she is more than just a pretty voice and much more versatile as a performer as well as singer.
  • butlernybutlerny Posts: 1,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no doubt Leona will have chart success again..just as others have said the right songs..plus so many people are rediscovering Leona from all the different things she has been doing and with Cats..be sensible to release a single or one of the collabs:D after Cats for sure..;)
  • EnvoirmentEnvoirment Posts: 9,486
    Forum Member
    Soeplepel wrote: »

Loving Leona's looks recently, she looks so amazing! Hope she keeps the curls for upcoming appearances.
  • Joe_LauJoe_Lau Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    A good throwback to her spirit era look, like in Better in time mv. Can't wait for her new music, hopefully the next album can have some throwback to R&B vibe that people always remember her for.
  • deedee1962deedee1962 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't at you ignoring the best song on the album: the superior, feel good song that is Ladders

I agree :) FUMF and ALS are my least favourites on I Am I love the whole album but my favourites that I love and always lift me up are I Am, Ladders, The Essence Of Me, I Got You, Thunder, Thank You, Power and Thick Skin.
    I can honestly say it is my favourite album that she has done as a whole :) I love Echo but I skip out songs and mostly listen to Can't Breathe, Happy. Brave, Broken, Don't Let Me Down, Naked, Alive and My Hands, I would love more Can't Breathe type songs from Leona I love that song so much.

The Essence Of Me is amazing and had it been on Echo it may have been appreciated more. :(
  • Eliott1301Eliott1301 Posts: 2,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Essence of me and power are the only songs I liked a lot on I Am. Thunder I enjoyed live though. But yeah. The others were forgettable imo :)
  • ariella52ariella52 Posts: 7,519
    Forum Member
    The whole I Am album worked really well live on tour.

Ladders was the surprise for me. It was excellent live. And I Am opened powerfully. I Got You lead into Run really well too.

Listening at home, The Essence of Me amd Thick Skin are my favourites. Apart from Thankyou which I love most😍

I have to say, though, Leona has produced 4 really good albums. And an impressive EP. Twilight is a good first one too. She can be proud, I think. :)
  • Gobstopper13Gobstopper13 Posts: 779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The songs I always come back to are Power and I am. I know I am (the song) doesn't get much love on here, but I think it's one of Leona's best.
  • ariella52ariella52 Posts: 7,519
    Forum Member
    Nate really does have a bigger range than Leona's. She has just a bit over 3 (beautiful!)octaves. I am his coach, and have been for years. He has as rare a voice as Leona, and we bonded over music and having monster range in common. He usually sings within a performance range of about A2 to C6 , but we used to run scales together all the time, and after some years,once he developed his voice , he could nearly matches my 4 octaves . There are some clips on Youtube that show his range. Sadly, the best of his performance was cut in the final edit of the broadcast.

I am glad to hear he is one of your favorites.If you love Leona, you obviously know great singing when you hear it :D

I loved the clip of her performing Memory. As far as chart success, I think she will be charting again . I isn't a question of will she but a question of when. Her vocals are a lot more versatile than she gets credit for. That was what the X Factor kind of kept her from showing, I think. With her, they focused on her 6th octave money notes and agility, but kept her in the ballad/Mariah-esque lane. They did right by her, but still, she was capable of much more, as she has shown. She is one of the few long former X Factor alumni I still follow the career of enough to go out of my way to see what she is up to. It's great that she is showing over time that she is more than just a pretty voice and much more versatile as a performer as well as singer.

An interesting post, Thankyou.

I have to say though that for me it has always been about the tone and delicacy of Leona's vocals, not the range. She does deploy her range as appropriate and sometimes to stunning effect, but the subtlety of phrasing is all. ☺️
  • Gobstopper13Gobstopper13 Posts: 779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ariella52 wrote: »
    An interesting post, Thankyou.

I have to say though that for me it has always been about the tone and delicacy of Leona's vocals, not the range. She does deploy her range as appropriate and sometimes to stunning effect, but the subtlety of phrasing is all. ☺️

Yeah, I agree. There are lot's of singers who can train to broaden their range. And there are definitely singers out there with much bigger ranges than Leona.

To my ears, being able to technically get to high notes, doesn't necessarily mean it sounds good. Leona's strength has always been her tone combined with her technical ability.
  • deedee1962deedee1962 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The songs I always come back to are Power and I am. I know I am (the song) doesn't get much love on here, but I think it's one of Leona's best.

Me too I love it and it has become one of my favourite songs she has done, I always press replay after I listen to.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leona did a Facebook live backstage tour for Rolling Stone.

https://www.facebook.com/RollingStoneVideo/videos/1772677486283538/

Edit: They probably should have prepared some questions rather than that girl having to think them up on the spot. :D
  • Singy ThingySingy Thingy Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I agree. There are lot's of singers who can train to broaden their range. And there are definitely singers out there with much bigger ranges than Leona.

To my ears, being able to technically get to high notes, doesn't necessarily mean it sounds good. Leona's strength has always been her tone combined with her technical ability.

I agree, tone and ability to connect and express and vocal beauty and dynamics are what matter, as well as , after learning the skill/tech, making it second nature and first nature being lost/found in songs.

Having 3 octaves of range that is good and consistent throughout is actually quite rare. Nate is the only other vocalist I have ever met who could run beyond that range beautifully throughout.Training can only do so much.Most pro singers have 2 to 2.5 octaves .Few have 3.Many can "hit" 3 octaves in notes, or jump to a barely controlled head voice, but in a listenable way? um...no :o:D , so Leona is exceptional in range as well as ability and vocal beauty.

One thing that was missing for me in her early years that I have enjoyed hearing develop: I have noticed in her more recent music a richer low register than she had 5 years ago or so.Fire Under My Feet shows this off .There is a new strength,confidence, and maturity in her tone .Her voice sounds more dynamic now (more power when she chooses to use it ) too
  • James124James124 Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave0893 wrote: »

Edit: They probably should have prepared some questions rather than that girl having to think them up on the spot. :D

Yeah they were so unprepared with the questions 😂 I felt so bad for the interviewer, she seemed so nervous
  • soulmusicsoulmusic Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The I Am album really came alive for me on the tour. Power is amazing, and love Thick Skin, it fits so well with the Katwe trailer. I am excited for what is to come once Cats has finished.
  • kokoskokos Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave0893 wrote: »

LOL that's so awkward xD
  • twellstwells Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James124 wrote: »
    Yeah they were so unprepared with the questions 😂 I felt so bad for the interviewer, she seemed so nervous

I thought the interviewer seemed prepared with the standard questions. What would she be expected to ask? Not quite sure why Leona seemed so nervous. She's been answering the same kind of questions for 14 years. Perhaps, that's just her natural personality

The biggest news to come out of this, I thought, was that Leona is certainly open to doing more musical theater. .
  • EnvoirmentEnvoirment Posts: 9,486
    Forum Member
    I'm hoping Leona's next album will be Spirit 2.0, whilst we get dance tunes via collabs (Pitbull/Alesso etc). Kinda need a proper R&B tinged album from Leona once again with massive vocals. :cry: But I need my "Shake You Up"/"Another Love Song"/"Outta My Head"/"Glassheart" numbers too. :D
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    twells wrote: »
    I thought the interviewer seemed prepared with the standard questions. What would she be expected to ask? Not quite sure why Leona seemed so nervous. She's been answering the same kind of questions for 14 years. Perhaps, that's just her natural personality

The biggest news to come out of this, I thought, was that Leona is certainly open to doing more musical theater. .

You could hear the clogs turning in that poor girls head as she desperately tried to think of questions, no one said they were bad questions just that she was left to come up with them on the spot, it would have been better had the prepared some better questions in advance.
  • twellstwells Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Envoirment wrote: »
    I'm hoping Leona's next album will be Spirit 2.0, whilst we get dance tunes via collabs (Pitbull/Alesso etc). Kinda need a proper R&B tinged album from Leona once again with massive vocals. :cry: But I need my "Shake You Up"/"Another Love Song"/"Outta My Head"/"Glassheart" numbers too. :D

Do you remember who the songwriters were, who were credited with those songs? Leona certainly must. All she has to do is to get them to write for her again.
  • SoeplepelSoeplepel Posts: 24,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twells wrote: »
    Do you remember who the songwriters were, who were credited with those songs? Leona certainly must. All she has to do is to get them to write for her again.

Leona cowrote each song except Outta My Head
  • VirtuosoVirtuoso Posts: 1,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona cowrote each song except Outta My Head

To be fair she didn't write My Hands, Love Letter or I Got You on there either. I hope we don't get another Echo. This live instrument thing for me hugely doesn't work. I think go back to what made her big in the first place: singing r'n'b tracks with a great r'n'b voice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Virtuoso wrote: »
    To be fair she didn't write My Hands, Love Letter or I Got You on there either. I hope we don't get another Echo. This live instrument thing for me hugely doesn't work. I think go back to what made her big in the first place: singing r'n'b tracks with a great r'n'b voice.

I was talking about the songs Envoirment listed
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sia is releasing a deluxe edition of her album but no sign of Perfectly You :(