Comments

• Options
    Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best - The opening sequence from Trial of a Time Lord

Worst - Tinfoil Vardans in The Invasion of Time

From the depths!
    Yes, I was about to nominate these two effects myself.

Other favourite effects have been the superb model and landscape work of visual effects designer Ian Scoones, his work on City of Death, Frontier in Space, Seeds of Doom, Pyramids of Mars are superb.
    I've always had a fondness of the Drashigs rising from the swamps too.
    Even the simplest of effects such as a couple of blocks of dry-ice stuck to the bottom of shoes can be spine-chilling as evidence from the black-clad Servitor of Sutekh making his terrifying entrance, scorching the very ground he walks upon.
  • Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best- All the Doctors stood looking to Gallifrey in Day of the Doctor
    Worst- The Abzorbaloff
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    Dodgy effects rarely bother me....but...two that always stick out in one of my favourite episodes.

The Time Beetle in 'Turn Left' always drags me out of the moment.
    There is also a CGI shot of the doomed Titanic mushroom cloud with a bridge/viaduct in the foreground. That shot always makes me grimace.

One I really loved was the trippy entering the Dalek (oo-er) in that Capaldi one where they enter a Dalek (double oo-er)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worst- The Abzorbaloff

That's more of a costume rather than a special effect, unless you're talking about the cgi 'absorbing' effects.
    I agree with you on the Doctors at the end of DotD, it was a beautiful effect.
    Dodgy effects rarely bother me....but...two that always stick out in one of my favourite episodes.

One I really loved was the trippy entering the Dalek (oo-er) in that Capaldi one where they enter a Dalek (double oo-er)

The entering of the Dalek had a very 1970s vibe to it.
  • Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's more of a costume rather than a special effect, unless you're talking about the cgi 'absorbing' effects. .

Yes, it was a mixture of CGI and costume.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So as an effect, the CGI then.

Another one I like, the impressive yet short sequence of the Dalek ship's docking chamber connecting to the prison ship holding Davros in Ressurection. The smoothness of the chamber as it slowly glides, the sudden release of air and hydraulic gasses. The panel weathering on the model is also pretty decent looking too.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I can cope with most faults - but what bugged me most were the sound-effects in the Tardis!
    In Jon and Tom's era - the doors of the Tardis kept varying (if any sound at all) and the scanner-sound was different in Tom's era too compared to Peter's time!.
    The Tardis also got smaller as time went on!
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    One of the worst effects I can think of, to the point where I couldn't take the scenes where it was shown seriously, was prisoner zero in it's natural form in the eleventh hour. It was just so blatantly a computer image rather than anything resembling realistic looking.

Not really sure about best. As new who goes they are all generally pretty good, apart from the odd occasional slip up like the example above.