2»

Comments

• Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    Why all the attacks on BBC3 the last few days?:confused:
    Easy target, outside of the demographic of the complainer more than likely and some people don't want the BBC to cater for 16-34 year olds possibly? Some people say that ITV2 or E4 does it - when either channel shows a documentary on tourettes, young doctors or young soldiers, let me know...

As for Family Guy working on a commercial channel, prior to the BBC's acquisition, it was treated terribly by both Channel 4 and Sky. As for putting it on E4 because they have The Cleveland Show, I wasn't even aware that show was still showing, a tactic used by the commercial sector to kill off a show. Same will happen with FG and American Dad.

And the other BBC channels don't want to provide programmes aimed at (remember, licence fee paying) younger adults. FG was axed by BBC Two! Some popular programmes originally shown on BBC Three which transferred to BBC One and Two would never have been made if it was not for BBC Three. Young adults without BBC Three would become a generation uncatered for by the BBC and PSB, to the vested interest of the anti licence fee/PSB lobbyists and Sky, who'd be the main beneficiary of the loss of BBC Three. Lose BBC Three at the BBC's/PSB's peril!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    As for Family Guy working on a commercial channel, prior to the BBC's acquisition, it was treated terribly by both Channel 4 and Sky. As for putting it on E4 because they have The Cleveland Show, I wasn't even aware that show was still showing, a tactic used by the commercial sector to kill off a show. Same will happen with FG and American Dad.
    No idea what you mean with the whole trying to kill a show off idea, but...

E4 are getting themselves into Fox's favour so they can swoop in and steal it. The BBC were bidding for Cleveland but E4 outbid them, that means they'll almost certainly try for Family Guy and they'll probably go for American Dad! whilst they're at it.

Why else would they buy every Fox animation going (Bob's Burgers, Napoleon Dynamite, Allen Greggory)? They brought Bob's Burgers and then put it on at 1 AM, clearly they didn't buy it because they thought it was good or was going to be popular. They didn't even try, the show wasn't advertised anywhere. Even if they think the show is awful, they'd probably still advertise it and try to get some viewers, unless getting viewers wasn't their first intention when buying the show... (Just made that sound like a conspiracy, but what I mean is that E4 are try to butter Fox up, so they'll sign a deal with them if it reaches a stalemate or a similar situation)

I think if E4 get the rights, they'll go all out with friends style repeats every day of the week and treat them properly. Now, BBC3 have proved that Family Guy works and have built up the audience, all the commerical broadcasters want a slice of the pie and I imagine they'll all try and replicate the two episodes a night formula that worked for BBC3.
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    If E4 gets Family Guy and American Dad, we can have a daily version of Fox's Animation Domination block that they have on Sunday evenings. The Simpsons (not sure why E4 doesn't already show that considering Channel 4 has the rights), Family Guy, American Dad and The Cleveland Show form that block.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It really does , it's turned into such a dire and stale channel over these last few years , it needs to rid of the non-BBC shows and to invest in more of its own content and remove that Reality TV dross that appeals to chavs.

When the channel was BBC Choice the channel was better and even the early days of BBC Three in the mid 2000's were far better when they had shows like Nighty Night , Monkey Dust , Little Britain etc...

I speak as a twenty something year old so i am in this target demographic for their channel , its about time they start researching into what our audience really want instead of turning the channel into a generic clone of ITV2.
    This has cropped up in a number of threads now and many people feel the same way, though the decline in quality is predictable denied by hardcore BBC supporters.

stuff like World Craziest Fools, US movies and US cartoon shows like family guy and American Dad, (even Top Gear USA now) plus outtakes programmes, reality TV, makeover shows etc. etc.

And yes, repeats of Top Gear, Dr Who and Eastenders do prop BBC three up in the ratings, but take those away and where would it be?

Yes, it's basically become a sort of ITV2 and "dross that appeals to chavs" is a fair assessment of much of it's output...

...of which 85% is repeats.

Needs a serious rebrand and a total rethink!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I seem to remember the original purpose of BBC3 and 4 was to promote digital TV and make us aware of DSO. As DSO is now more or less complete, and the nation appears to have passed through the transformation more-or-less without trauma, surely the reason for BBC3 and 4 no longer exists ?

Only if you think removing the overhead of having BBC3 as a separate time sharing channel would make for big savings for the BBC... which I doubt it would.

As said, one reason for keeping it is to introduce new talent / ideas at prime time.

While it's budget and programmes could be pushed on to other BBC channels, it still gives many in it's audience something to watch live, as an additional choice to what's going out at the time on BBC1 / 2... and would it be feasible to keep BBC4 with BBC3 missing?
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's basically become a sort of ITV2 and "dross that appeals to chavs" is a fair assessment of much of it's output...

And where would the celebrity game shows, Essex/Liverpool/Newcastle based "reality" TV shows, Celebrity gossip shows and reality TV offshoot from BBC One appear on BBC Three? Rarely, if ever I think.

Unfortunately from what I encounter, the general idea of a rethink generally involves making the BBC removing content aimed at young adults in the same way they want to do for Gaelic viewers or people who wish to view the democracy in progress or Asian listeners (BBC Alba/Parliament/Asian Network) because "I don't like it so it should be axed".
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    E4 may not want AD as its only the second run rights, the first run rights belong to FX. Not sure why E4 would want FG however, they axed it once, its only now gotten popular because of its appearance on BBC 3.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »
    E4 may not want AD as its only the second run rights, the first run rights belong to FX. Not sure why E4 would want FG however, they axed it once, its only now gotten popular because of its appearance on BBC 3.

They axed friends at one point... (Sky 1 took the rights from Channel 4 only for them to buy them back at a later date).

I think they may want second run rights for American Dad! to complete the Seth MacFarlane line up should they try and bid for Family Guy, most of the hardcore Family Guy fans also watch American Dad! and vice versa. I believe they had second run rights for Scrubs (they share the rights with Comedy Central) so this probably doesn't bother them too much. If they felt like it they could probably buy the first run rights, I'm sure 20th Century Fox wouldn't mind relegating FX to repeats only, as with Family Guy (they own the channel so it's not like it'll cost them that much). But, as you said if they weren't going for Family Guy, it wouldn't make much sense for them to get American Dad!. Family Guy has a proven audience, where as American Dad! hasn't always done that well (on either side of the pond), so if they were likely to go for just one it would almost centrainly be Family Guy.

And E4 will probably try and bid for Seth MacFarlane's version of The Flinstones next year, so why not go the whole nine yards?
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ah, 85% repeats ..... now that reminds me......

Now, maybe this will continue to be ignored, but: it is a valid set of points to raise as long as you keep on raising the issue of repeats on BBC Three:

Some BBC Three repeats are signed for the deaf.

A good chunk of BBC Three repeats are in the hours between midnight and 3:40 am or so.

Repeats cost less than new programming.

So, the questions arise yet again:

Do you want BBC3 to show new programming midnight to around 3:40am?

Do you want budgets increased all round so that more new programming can be made?

Do you want signed output to be reduced?

Any chance of engaging in the debate, or are you simply going to ignore those questions yet again, or apparently obfuscate and bluster?
  • Options
    bobmeadesbobmeades Posts: 1,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would make more sense, if one of the BBC's extra channels - either 3 or 4 was used as a "raid the archives" channel, such as ITV3 & 4 currently do, much of the time - in other words: Older repeats,which I am sure the older Licence payers would enjoy. I know it will be lots of Cop dramas, because that is mainly the archive content, but this must be better than endless house renovation/buying progs + Cooking rubbish, helping the make the obese population fatter still??
    Rob
    PS Morning Mossy, that is one thing we have in common, up early on Sundays! - having a cuppa?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobmeades wrote: »
    PS Morning Mossy, that is one thing we have in common, up early on Sundays! - having a cuppa?

Morning :)

Always get up at 5am to walk dogs, regardless of day of the week (even Christmas morning and New Years Day). Having a bit of a sit-down now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Do you want signed output to be reduced?

Am I right in thinking that ALL digital channels have to provide some signed content as a condition of their broadcast licences.
  • Options
    bobmeadesbobmeades Posts: 1,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Morning :)

Always get up at 5am to walk dogs, regardless of day of the week (even Christmas morning and New Years Day). Having a bit of a sit-down now.

Dogs? what a pack of bloodhounds?:)
    I've no dog myself, though my friend who I will be staying with at Xmas has a Jack russell - she (the dog!) is about 16 Years & hates walks! too many aches & pains I think.
    Rob
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I right in thinking that ALL digital channels have to provide some signed content as a condition of their broadcast licences.
    I believe that could be the case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dogs? what a pack of bloodhounds?:)
    No, Golden Retrievers. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 119
    Forum Member

That or pay a (small) fee to some deafness charity/organization. Not sure if its a specific one.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member

Needs a serious rebrand and a total rethink!!

No it doesn't, it's doing well with its target audience, and that's all that matters.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Easy target, outside of the demographic of the complainer more than likely and some people don't want the BBC to cater for 16-34 year olds possibly? Some people say that ITV2 or E4 does it - when either channel shows a documentary on tourettes, young doctors or young soldiers, let me know...

And the other BBC channels don't want to provide programmes aimed at (remember, licence fee paying) younger adults. FG was axed by BBC Two! Some popular programmes originally shown on BBC Three which transferred to BBC One and Two would never have been made if it was not for BBC Three. Young adults without BBC Three would become a generation uncatered for by the BBC and PSB, to the vested interest of the anti licence fee/PSB lobbyists and Sky, who'd be the main beneficiary of the loss of BBC Three. Lose BBC Three at the BBC's/PSB's peril!

Totally agree.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    It would make more sense, if one of the BBC's extra channels - either 3 or 4 was used as a "raid the archives" channel, such as ITV3 & 4 currently do, much of the time - in other words: Older repeats,which I am sure the older Licence payers would enjoy. I know it will be lots of Cop dramas, because that is mainly the archive content, but this must be better than endless house renovation/buying progs + Cooking rubbish, helping the make the obese population fatter still??
    Rob

BBC Four does "raid the archives" by showing interesting drama and documentaries from yesteryear, however when it comes to comedy etc. the BBC have a 50% stake in UKTV - which does what you ask for commercially. there would be uproar and screams that the BBC was wasting PUBLIC TAXPAYERS money by rebroadcasting old episodes of it's a knockout. but because the Beeb makes money from the advertising on these commercial channels, the public gets its repeats, the Beeb make some money - so they don't cut as much as they need to and the advertisers are happy.