Options

Birds of a Feather returns on January 2nd

Comments

• Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Haha just on the Drama channel now - the episode where Dorien sings "Like a virgin" in the talent show.

Classic :D
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Agent F wrote: »
    One of the reasons I enjoyed it so much more tonight was because we saw so little of Garth. It was mainly about the three 'birds' and it was all the better for it. Very funny episode tonight, best of the series so far for me.

Totally agree - Garth, his Aussie GF and the girl were even more redundant than usual i.e. just brought in for a minute so Tracey could work out if they had put Travis up to getting a tattoo.

I presume we will have the opening of his chavvy Aussie restaurant in Woodford soon - so sadly we won't have seen the last of them.
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Was never a fan of the original series,but I do think that it has come back very well.The theme tune is the same,the characters are the same but the dialogue is about current things.
    Can't really ask for more in 2014
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jioscar wrote: »
    Rubbish first time even more so this time

I don't know about the first time round but I was starting to think that I was alone in my non-enjoyment of the current run! Nothing in it's made me laugh so far.
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I noticed this episode said Travis was 17- so he's clearly gained 2 years from somewhere!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed last nights episode a lot. Loved seeing less Garth and his girlfriend and co. The three birds were on top form and this was one of the best episodes so far. One thing though, Sharon not knowing she had a tattoo all these years was a bit of a stretch, but fiction is fiction I suppose.
  • Options
    lightonmyfeetlightonmyfeet Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with other comments made that last night's episode was enjoyable because it was about the "birds". I like Travis and he mixes into the scenes in a fairly seamless fashion, but I do not care about Garth and his girlfriend, and their scenes seem forced.

Last night and the week before we saw the women in "bird matters"; dating, men' looks, getting older etc. More of this and less of Garth and the "aussie accent" please. Oh and if Tracy could smile a bit more (not too much) instead of grumping, that would be a bonus.:)
  • Options
    SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved it last night.

The only thing that confused me was Dorien being Sharon's manager? I thought she was promoted to something more regional a couple of weeks ago?
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Saturn wrote: »
    Loved it last night.

The only thing that confused me was Dorien being Sharon's manager? I thought she was promoted to something more regional a couple of weeks ago?

Yes - a bit confusing. Perhaps she is the regional and the store manager?

Last week she was spending all her time hanging round the old people's care home with that 90 year old - you wonder how she fits it all in!
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many episodes is this run? Seems like its hitting its stride now, don't want it to end early.
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed last nights episode a lot. Loved seeing less Garth and his girlfriend and co. The three birds were on top form and this was one of the best episodes so far. One thing though, Sharon not knowing she had a tattoo all these years was a bit of a stretch, but fiction is fiction I suppose.

Even if Sharon herself never knew it was there surely her husband or any boyfriends she had over the years would have noticed it and asked her about it. Putting that to one side I agree with those that have said that this episode was the best in this new run after the blip of the last couple of episodes.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yesterday's was my favourite episode so far. Mainly because it was just the three of them (on the whole)

The chemistry they share on screen is so natural. It's lost nothing in that respect IMO.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many episodes is this run? Seems like its hitting its stride now, don't want it to end early.

8 episodes, so 4 left. Plus a potential Xmas special and garunteed second series.
  • Options
    MJsDirtyDianaMJsDirtyDiana Posts: 374,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I liked Birds of a Feather from years back but am not so fussed with the new series. The producers really lowered the tone by bringing in the talentless Amy Childs!

But on the plus side Dorien is as witty as ever and her put downs of Sharon are hilarious.

It took me until the second episode to realise that Garth is played by none other then Matt Willis! I hardly recognized him, he has lost so much weight. I guess the pictures taken of him alongside his pregnant wife Emma shamed him into doing something about his beer belly and moobs! And he looks very handsome now. Emma is one very lucky lady! :D
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    8 episodes, so 4 left. Plus a potential Xmas special and garunteed second series.

Ah not too bad then. And a second series - great news!
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,626
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Haha just on the Drama channel now - the episode where Dorien sings "Like a virgin" in the talent show.

Classic :D
    Yes, my favourite ever episode, it was great to see it again. :D
    Saturn wrote: »
    Loved it last night.

That thought struck me too, I was hoping to see more goings on in the Quid store between Sharon & Dorien, it could be a hoot. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    Brilliant show great fun classic comedy
  • Options
    djleekeedjleekee Posts: 1,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definately agree that this was the best one so far in this series. So many LOl moments. Genuinely funny lines and scenarios! Keep it up.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    They finally acknowledged that Tracey never smiles and never did. And yes that girl has the worst accent ever. Also he got a tattoo after one date?
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jioscar wrote: »
    Rubbish first time even more so this time

So you didn't like the original 9 years yet decided to tune in for more.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    While that may have been true in the past, comedy now is a lot more fast-paced, so the extra 6 minutes would just be used for more gags. Do sitcoms on the BBC have still have these "quiet moments"?

Bluestone 42 on BBC3 has these - best of the recent crop IMHO.

Classic of all time is Delboy and Rodney in the lift discussing Cassandra's miscarriage in the "Time on our hands" episode.

Some newer shows have smaller moments of pathos - Mrs Brown's pieces to camera on being a mother
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know the viewing figures are good but has a new series definitely been confirmed?
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    I know the viewing figures are good but has a new series definitely been confirmed?

No, but its a dead cert. I imagine an announcment will be made after the series finishes. Its probably already being written.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm enjoying the new series, I used to watch the old series with my Mum whrn I was a kid!

I don't get why Garth is with this Australian girl; I thought she was going to rip him off or something but she seems totally surplus so far.

I'd like to see 50 minute episodes with a lot more light and shade; made something more dramatic for Sharon to deal with and the humour in it; especially as Pauline Quirke is a much underratedl actress. Sharon and Dorian make the series for me, thier relationship is the glue.
  • Options
    COTTONHEATCOTTONHEAT Posts: 12,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I look forward to seeing the return of the Original Chris on Thursday