Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »
    30 secs of Bright Eyes?
    Well- if you have £6K for the rights...
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought we were going to get the full Bright Eyes then. Oh well.

At least we get Roxy to play us out.
  • Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aaahh, Mr Ferry's made it all better now. Make the bad Canadian man go away Brian, thank you.
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the last time we'll see those bunny rabbits, so goodbye to them!

And now, a class song by Roxy Music.
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    30 secs of Bright Eyes?

Yeah 30 seconds too many.:cool:
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK - over to ESC>..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Well that brightened my evening up (no pun intended)... seeing a rabbit get killed all introduced by a cheery Peter Powell.

A very mixed bag tonight going the the sublime to the damn right ridiculous (disco Bridge Over Troubled Water!!!!!) Look forward to seeing the late version with XTC and Judas Preist. Brilliant to see The Police and Undertones. Also a brilliant track from Earth, Wind and Fire and the Emotions and of course Blondie. That Abba track is a bit of a guilty pleasure :blush:
  • UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    wuffles wrote: »
    I still struggle to understand what Agnetha saw in Bjorn...

I always thought Bjorn was quite sweet - before the beard! :( Agnetha had left him by this stage!

At least with us seeing Agnetha made up for missing out Debbie Harry! :)
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Impossible to sit still when Boogie Wonderland comes on.
    I've been dancing around my living room :) love it, love Earth Wind and Fire :cool:
  • corriandercorriander Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    Run in: Donna Summer Hot Stuff, Another Donna Summer classic. They all came in the space of a couple of years. In the States, these records all made the top five, and this may have been number one, but this one, unless I am not wrong did not make the UK top ten, yet we all know it.:)

Tubes, Prime Time. The Tubes were from San Francisco and had first hit in the States anyway with a song called White Punks on Dope, which possibly pre-dated our own punk rock (means something different over there). I find this pretty good, and pretty smooth. They were known for their stage shows. Had a long career.:D

EWF and the Emotions, Boogie Wonderland. Say no more. All time classic. same writer as Dusty and the Pet Shops, What Have I Done To Deserve This? a few years later. This is an amazing record. I could not put stop moving.:o

Blondie, Sunday Girl. Say no More. I always loved the French bits in this, which recalled Denis. Great.

Police, Roxanne. OMG. I am one of those who has never been able to stand Sting, but his music and the Police's. Great great singles. This is one of my favourites and this must be their TOTP debut; it had already been a moderate hit in the States.

Peaches and Herb, Reunited. Another US number one. And a great song. Herb had had hits in the sixties with a different Peaches. Sad that this was their last hit, but it is a question of material and this is a great song.:)

Undertones, Jimmy Jimmy. The energy in this band is amazing. One of my favourites from them. Almost as good as teenage Kicks, which deserved all the praise and support it got from the late John Peel.:)

Abba, Does Your Mother Know? I had never seen this version, and it this was an absolute treat. Fave of the night.

Linda Clifford, Bridge Over Troubled Water, Huge dance hit in the States this year, and deservedly so. This is not as famous as Boogie Wonderland but I just kept moving (well I was doing the washing up).

Max Webster Band. Apparently a well-known Canadian band. Record company refused to fund further trips to Europe to promote their career, which explains why many of us have not heard of them.

Closing credits: Dance Away. The start of the revived Roxy.

So many classics tonight. I wonder if there was a similar show for the top thirty of this week in 2014 in 2049 there would be so many songs that everybody knows. Disco and the New wave (whatever that means are well represented, but the show is notable for the lack of British acts. Only the Police, Roxy, and the Undertones could be defined as British.:)
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,478
    Forum Member
    I saw Max Webster around this time, supporting Rush. Never realised they'd actually appeared on TOTP. Their (non-performing) lyricist wrote a couple of songs for Rush.
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    What a superb tune Prime Time by The Tubes...should have been huge. Great show tonight apart from Max webster rubbish!

New Wave/Punk brought a breath of fresh air to the charts. So many styles and genres.
  • darren1090darren1090 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Who the bloody hell is Linda Clifford?

Only one of the best, classiest disco singers of the 1970s. A lady with a lot of style, and still singing now. It's unfortunate that her only Top 40 hit in the UK was a cover that was designed to get her on radio stations, and in that respect it worked. Having said that, I have the 10 minute version of BOTW on 12 inch single, which is great IMO.

She worked a lot with Curtis Mayfield, and her records were released on his Curtom label. She also recorded a couple of duets with him. A great track of hers which truly shows her character is "Don't give it up":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGa0AkDKugA
    "He got him a poodle in the backseat and you know you don't need no dog!"

As an aside, there was a Top 40 rave remake of BOTW in 1991 by Hannah and her Sisters. There are many other uptempo versions that didn't chart.
  • keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    corriander wrote: »
    Blondie, Sunday Girl. Say no More. I always loved the French bits in this.

There were no French bits on the UK 7" release, only on the album version.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant to see Judas Priest on again, I remember buying the album that single came off and I'm pretty sure I still have the 7" release - whole show was good though and shows how diverse the charts were back then compared to now when its nearly all the same old crap.
    Forum Member
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    whole show was good though and shows how diverse the charts were back then compared to now when its nearly all the same old crap.

Exactly!

I think the next few episodes of TOTP are really good and cater for all tastes! :)
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    keicar wrote: »

Although its always the version with the French verse that's played on radio now. It seems to have found its way into station databases.
  • sickparrotsickparrot Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    What a superb tune Prime Time by The Tubes...should have been huge. .

Years ago I came across and bought a Tubes double live album in a second hand record shop, I thought they were hugely hyped ( and controversial) as a live act but I 'd never actually heard any of their music .

There's a reason, it was terrible. A bit like KISS, all show and no substance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TUC wrote: »
    Although its always the version with the French verse that's played on radio now. It seems to have found its way into station databases.

True, it annoys me, not as I remember the single at the time. Its the same with the longer versions of I Dont Like Monday's and Ashes To Ashes that are always played. I'm sure there are others as well.
    Forum Member
    True, it annoys me, not as I remember the single at the time. Its the same with the longer versions of I Dont Like Monday's and Ashes To Ashes that are always played. II'm sure there are others as well.

Yes Pink Floyd - Brick In The Wall. I have the 7" and it doesn't have that annoying strict teacher on at the end! :(
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:confused:

'Sunday Girl' in French - the whole song (except the title, obviously!) - was a bonus track on the 12" single … but the album version is the same as the A-side of the 7" and 12" single.

Has someone spliced the two versions together since? I've never heard that …
  • kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    45 seconds....???

It was a different 45 seconds to previously wasn't it?
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »

'Sunday Girl' in French - the whole song (except the title, obviously!) - was a bonus track on the 12" single … but the album version is the same as the A-side of the 7" and 12" single.

I think the English / French version of Sunday Girl is the one that appears on their 1981 Best Of album. One of the verses is sung in French but the rest of the song is sung in English.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »

If you search 'Sunday Girl' on Spotify, the first version is from The Best Of Blondie, which has the first verse in English, the 2nd in French, the second listing from 'Essential Blondie' the whole song is in English, as indeed were all the radio plays back in 1979.

It would appear that most radio stations incorrectly use the 'Best Of Blondie' version.
This discussion has been closed.