Options

Stv Glasgow

bayviewbayview Posts: 39
Forum Member
On STV they are advertising STV GLASGOW to be on SKY 117. When does this start?.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    STV Glasgow launches on Monday 2nd June 2014 at 6:30pm on Freeview, Sky and Virgin - http://www.a516digital.com/2014/05/stv-glasgow-whats-on-and-how-to-get-it.html
  • Options
    bayviewbayview Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that Graeme89
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    Not that I'm desperate to, but is it possible to view in England?
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the moment Sky 117 in England is occupied by London Live although a test card would be more useful in terms of entertainment.London Live's breakfast show makes GMB look like Panorama.
  • Options
    Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jack1 wrote: »
    Not that I'm desperate to, but is it possible to view in England?

It may be possible for it to be added in the "Add Channels" option, the same way that the current STV regions are, depending on the frequency it uses.
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It may be possible for it to be added in the "Add Channels" option, the same way that the current STV regions are, depending on the frequency it uses.

The following from the link above may suggest it will not be FTA
    The service will not be delivered on Freesat, thought to be due to broadcast rights issues, as a free-to-air signal would overspill into other territories.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    The following from the link above may suggest it will not be FTA

London Live said the same thing, but it can be added (not that anyone would want to) on Sky HD boxes under "Add Channels", so hopefully STV Glasgow will be the same.

Not sure about Freesat boxes though.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    At the moment Sky 117 in England is occupied by London Live although a test card would be more useful in terms of entertainment.London Live's breakfast show makes GMB look like Panorama.

Its not "in England" its London only...
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Yeah, if that's the same as channel 8 on Freeview, then it's probably Estuary TV where I am.
  • Options
    001_ATLANTIS001_ATLANTIS Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    STV Glasgow - Nothing new there then! STV have always been a Glasgow centered channel. But then the same can be said for BBC Glasgow (sorry Scotland!)
  • Options
    cuttysarkcuttysark Posts: 1,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    STV Glasgow - Nothing new there then! STV have always been a Glasgow centered channel. But then the same can be said for BBC Glasgow (sorry Scotland!)

It's part of the local channel plan, STV won the contract for the Glasgow channel. STV Edinburgh is on it's way during the Summer, no need to be getting yer knickers in a twist.
  • Options
    Forum Member

In fairness nearly half of population live in Glasgow so I guess its understandable to some extent.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In fairness nearly half of population live in Glasgow so I guess its understandable to some extent.
    Though some never stop moaning about the BBC being 'Londoncentric' even though the same could be said there because a large proportion of the UK population live in London. You don't see calls for the BBC or STV to move production to Inverness or Wick.
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Really? Half of 5 million is 568,000 then? Interesting arithmetic Jack.
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Yeah, that's barely over 10%!
  • Options
    Robert__lawRobert__law Posts: 1,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It dues not make sense why STV Glasgow should not be FTA when all there other channels are ?
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like London live and I imagine other local TV who have satellite carriage, they can only afford local rights ....
    Now if the BBC was told to give them more than the 25 plus15 million pounds ... They may be able to afford it..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Radiogram wrote: »
    Really? Half of 5 million is 568,000 then? Interesting arithmetic Jack.

I was off with my figures but the Greater Glasgow area is 1,199,629, taking just the city boundaries into account is bad way to gauge the population of an area, but that's for another debate.

Obviously take into account Wikipedia isn't a great source, and that this is just the Urban Area, not the surrounding towns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Glasgow
  • Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read the webpage about this and as expected it will be repeating old STV programmes from the archives. Take the High Road in it's entirety, can't wait! More repeats of Taggart and probably Weir's Way and Nikky Campbell's Wheel of Fortune thrown in for good measure. I expect the live show to be the two couches overlooking the Clyde with lots of waffle and a sprinkling of vox pops from folks in various areas of the city nightly. A low budget version of 'The Hour' which itself was cringe worthy.

I think it'll be 'pure STV' and as such not something to look forward to. Local TV in Glasgow and Edinburgh will be polished and sustainable but I think the audience will miss out on innovation and diversity that a new provider could have offered.
  • Options
    ejhearnejhearn Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    STV Glasgow are testing on SKY.
    12670V, 22000, 5/6
    Label marked 54070.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ejhearn wrote: »
    STV Glasgow are testing on SKY.
    12670V, 22000, 5/6
    Label marked 54070.

Just to confirm that the channel can be added to Sky HD boxes under add channels.
  • Options
    jwire1977jwire1977 Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    I was off with my figures but the Greater Glasgow area is 1,199,629, taking just the city boundaries into account is bad way to gauge the population of an area, but that's for another debate.

Obviously take into account Wikipedia isn't a great source, and that this is just the Urban Area, not the surrounding towns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Glasgow

A fair number of those settlements are only linked to Glasgow through recent (post war) urban sprawl. And some are tenuous in the extreme.

You can travel from Liverpool to Manchester in a certain direction (loosely following the A580) and barely see a field but few would argue they are the same place.

Small town identity is important to people that live near to a big city. Do people in Bromsgrove, Redditch, Wolverhampton and Walsall consider themselves to be part of Birmingham?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jwire1977 wrote: »
    A fair number of those settlements are only linked to Glasgow through recent (post war) urban sprawl. And some are tenuous in the extreme.

You can travel from Liverpool to Manchester in a certain direction (loosely following the A580) and barely see a field but few would argue they are the same place.

Small town identity is important to people that live near to a big city. Do people in Bromsgrove, Redditch, Wolverhampton and Walsall consider themselves to be part of Birmingham?

The Liverpool and Manchester analogy is an over exaduration , I've hardly claimed that Edinburgh should be classed as the Glasgow area.

On the Birmingham analogy, as a resident (or at least future resident) I would describe myself as from Birmingham unless I was to talking to someone outside out of the area. That said Walsall is still legitimately part of the Birmingham area.
  • Options
    Soap DodgerSoap Dodger Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    Why is this new channel not on Freesat?? Also why are some available on Freeview but not Freesat?? Many thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is this new channel not on Freesat?? Also why are some available on Freeview but not Freesat?? Many thanks

Apparently the Freesat platform doesn't allow channels to be limited to certain areas by postcodes (Sky use their subscriber database).

Freeview channels can also have a specific broadcast area by only using specific transmitters, though admittedly not as tight, but not UK wide like freesat.