Options

Back Up for Windows 7

I am a bit of a novice but thought it would be relatively simple to do a back up for windows 7. I have written down the online instructions for this. However, as I started to proceed (i.e. plugged in ext. HD and "set up back up") I came across something that was not mentioned in the instructions.

It says I might want to create a system repair disc ... "a system repair disc might be required to restore a system image"?? I read that a system image is an exact copy of a drive...isn't this what an ext HD is? But it is not a disc, which is confusing me.

When I bought the ext. HD I was told it would be all I need....do I need to buy a disc too?

Also I use 294 GB...so how long would it take, roughly, to back up the HD?

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The back-up image on the external drive is useless without some means to restore it. It is OK as long as the drive in your computer is healthy and you can still boot into Windows to run the software you used to create the back-up.

However when it all goes belly skywards you can't boot Windows and so can't run the back-up software. This is where the repair disk comes in. It is basically a DVD with an operating system on and a copy of the back-up software.

You boot up using the DVD and run the back-up software to restore your computer hard drive from the external drive.
  • Options
    amyawakeamyawake Posts: 7,848
    Forum Member
    A friend made 4 recovery discs for my laptop when I first got it - almost 3 years ago. I guess I can't use these?

Do I then need to buy a blank DVD "with an operating system" on it? What is it called? I guess I need to buy 4? How will I know when to change over to a fresh disc?

So I use a new DVD AND the ext. HD together?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 4 recovery disks will return your machine to the state it was in when you first switched it on. Therefore you would lose all data and programs put onto the computer since then. You would then have to restore all your data from the back-up and reinstall all your programs.

You only need a bog standard DVD recordable disk to make the restore disk. The software that creates it will install the operating system onto it and make it bootable.

So in the event that you can't get into Windows normally on the computer you use the restore disk to boot the computer and restore the disk image. But for normal day to day back-ups you just boot the computer normally and use the back-up software to update the image. The DVD is only needed for emergencies.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edit:: This reply made before previous two posts.

W7 Repair Disk is a collection of utilities used to boot the machine (it is not all of W7)

You need a blank CD or DVD to make one.

You may be offered the option to make one after you have made a System Image.
    Otherwise the option is there anyway in W7 Backup and Restore Center under Create a System Image on the left of the screen.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows7/create-a-system-repair-disc

Note that a Backup is just some files and folders that you choose.
    It does not include Windows.

A Backup is not the same as a Backup Image (System Image) which is everything on the hard drive, including Windows and all your settings.

Based on my old'ish W7 laptop and ext drive...
    If you Image 294GB it will take 294 minutes approx. or about 5 hours.

I'd suggest you do set it going before you go to bed and leave it chugging away overnight.

(newer laptops and ext drives have USB3 ports instead of USB2. They are much faster)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amyawake wrote: »
    A friend made 4 recovery discs for my laptop when I first got it - almost 3 years ago. I guess I can't use these?

Keep in safe place, as you have been doing.

Do I then need to buy a blank DVD "with an operating system" on it? What is it called? I guess I need to buy 4? How will I know when to change over to a fresh disc?

Yes, buy a pack of DVDs. You will only need 1 DVD to make a Repair Disc

So I use a new DVD AND the ext. HD together?

You will only need the the new DVD if your system ever refuses to boot, or you want to restore a System Image from your ext HD.
    You don't need a Repair Disc to create an Image.

After making a Repair Disc, check it works by booting from it, then label it with a permanent marker pen and keep in a safe place.

Annotated as above
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can't see how an external HD fits into these replies. I was told it is better than a disc. It cost me almost £40 - is it not used in this back up procedure? Do you use both ext. HD and the disc?

So the HD creates a system image but doesn't repair the image? I am now officially confused. Is it an extra copy or something i.e. the main deal being the DVD to reboot and the HD somewhat superfluous?

How do I boot from the repair disc (to check it) - is it 'back up and restore'? I am a bit nervous about doing this in case it messes up what I have on pc e.g. will it override existing settings or does it play out separately/safely?
  • Options
    BanziBabyBanziBaby Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    I use Macrium Reflect Free to backup Windows as it is better than the basic backup built into Windows. Just install the free version & then create a bootable DVD or USB stick so you can boot the PC from that & backup the drives you want to backup without Windows even being loaded.

The system repair disc that backup is asking you to create is so you can boot the PC from the disc & then restore the backup from your external drive.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see how an external HD fits into these replies. I was told it is better than a disc. It cost me almost £40 - is it not used in this back up procedure? Do you use both ext. HD and the disc?
    You need the external HDD to back up the image and the 300GB of data.
    The reason for a separate disk is explained in #2
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a bit nervous about doing this in case it messes up what I have on pc e.g. will it override existing settings or does it play out separately/safely?
    I don't understand what you are asking.
    The whole point of the restore is because your pc is in a state where is it isn't useable or you have data issues that require you to go back a few days to a previous version of a file(s).
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How do I boot from the repair disc (to check it) - is it 'back up and restore'? I am a bit nervous about doing this in case it messes up what I have on pc e.g. will it override existing settings or does it play out separately/safely?

If you lost your data on the hard disk in your PC, it's a lot easier to boot from a CD/DVD than it is from an external hard disk. So what would happen is, you boot from the optical disk and it restores your backup from the external hard disk.

For the backup; you create the boot CD/DVD once only. You then do the backup to the external hard disk.

You do worry a lot! Why don't you just trust the advice you are given?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BanziBaby wrote: »
    The system repair disc that backup is asking you to create is so you can boot the PC from the disc & then restore the backup from your external drive.
    Sorry for sounding dumb but can this be spelt out more simply please? I create the disc and THEN rerun the backup system onto the external HD? Not use them both together simultaneously?
  • Options
    BanziBabyBanziBaby Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    Basically you put the system repair disc in the CD\DVD drive then reboot PC, before Windows starts to load you have to press a button on the keyboard to show the boot menu (on mine it is the F8 key) & then select the drive that has you system repair disc in it. The drive will then boot from the CD\DVD & load what is called the WinPE which is basically a cut down version of Windows. The repair disc should then load the backup & restore program that is built into Windows & you then browse to the backup file on your external drive & select it & then it will restore that backup.

I still say you would be better with Macrium Reflect Free :)

Some other helpful links.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/back-up-files#1TC=windows-7

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/1838/using-backup-and-restore-in-windows-7/

After you have created the system repair disc you don't need to make a new backup, just boot the PC from the disc & follow the prompts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for sounding dumb but can this be spelt out more simply please? I create the disc and THEN rerun the backup system onto the external HD? Not use them both together simultaneously?
    You continue with the instructions you mention in #1.
    You were running a process and at some point, it asked if you want to create a recovery disc. You create the disc and continue with the instructions that you have in #1
    The reason for the disc is outlined in #2
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The external hard drive is used to store the back-up image of the computer hard drive. All the time that your computer is working normally you use the normal Windows back-up software to keep this back-up up to date. You would make regular updates to the back-up, say weekly or monthly depending on how often you create new data files (eg word processor documents, photos etc) or add new programs.

The repair disk is only used when you cannot boot into Windows normally and need to restore the back-up to fix the problem. Obviously if you cannot boot into Windows normally you cannot run the normal back-up program so the repair disk gives you that option back. It is quite possible that if the computer cannot boot from the internal hard drive it will automatically switch to try and boot from the DVD so you may only have to put the DVD in the drive and switch on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    You continue with the instructions you mention in #1.
    You were running a process and at some point, it asked if you want to create a recovery disc. You create the disc and continue with the instructions that you have in #1
    The reason for the disc is outlined in #2
    Thanks - that's what I needed to know. You have said it clearly enough for me to understand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    The external hard drive is used to store the back-up image of the computer hard drive. All the time that your computer is working normally you use the normal Windows back-up software to keep this back-up up to date. You would make regular updates to the back-up, say weekly or monthly depending on how often you create new data files (eg word processor documents, photos etc) or add new programs.
    I understand about the regular updates but not how this affects updating the ext HD. Do I need to keep inserting the ext HD to laptop and getting the updates transferred regularly?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    You do worry a lot! Why don't you just trust the advice you are given?
    Stig - first I have to make sense of the advice before I can follow it... You seem not to understand the situation with us novices - for me it is like driving blind so I need to ensure I understand thoroughly in order to not bodge something up.

I have said I am very grateful for the helpful advice given to me on this forum which has enabled me to solve many situations. This forum is like a safety net to me!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    I don't understand what you are asking.
    The whole point of the restore is because your pc is in a state where is it isn't useable or you have data issues that require you to go back a few days to a previous version of a file(s).
    Yes I understand that. I was asking how do I check what has been transferred to the repair disc (someone suggested doing this) - is it 'back up and restore'? I don't know the procedure for this. Presumably checking the disc will not be the same procedure needed to use the info to reboot the pc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understand about the regular updates but not how this affects updating the ext HD. Do I need to keep inserting the ext HD to laptop and getting the updates transferred regularly?
    Yes.

Obviously, if you do a backup then you are saving everything up until that date. When you add or edit documents then these are not backed up until the next time you attach the external HD and run the backup.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I understand that. I was asking how do I boot from the repair disc (to check it) - is it 'back up and restore'? I don't know the procedure for checking the transferred data.
    To check the restore disk, insert the CD/DVD into your PC, and restart. It should boot from the disk. If not, you may either have to access a boot menu (pressing F11 on some PCs) or change the boot order in the BIOS to have the CD/DVD drive listed first.

As for testing the backup itself, there's no easy way to do that except to run the whole restore routine. That in itself is not a good idea as you may (ironically) lose data if the backup/restore doesn't work. It's best to test the boot disk and not attempt a trial restore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    Yes.
    Obviously, if you do a backup then you are saving everything up until that date. When you add or edit documents then these are not backed up until the next time you attach the external HD and run the backup.
    Right...so I'm guessing that to transfer these updates to ext HD you do not follow the standard backup and restore instructions e.g. "set up back up"? Do you know how these updates are set up to transfer from windows7?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The whole point of making back-ups is to have an entirely separate safety copy (preferably copies on separate physical drives) of your important data in case of emergency, meaning you can't get access to the originals. So that means that you need to routinely update the back-up as you create new data files.

So you need to get into a routine of regularly connecting the external drive to the laptop and running the back-up software to perform an update to the back-up. How often you need to do this depends on how much new data you generate.

For example if you run a business on the computer and generate loads of invoices, orders, quotes etc on it each day then you might need to to a back-up every evening after work. However if all you do is surf the interweb and every so often fire off a letter to Aunty Betty or whatever then you might only need to do a back-up every month. It all depends on how much stuff you create that you cannot afford to lose if all hell breaks loose and your computer disappears in a cloud of smoke! :o:)

Most back-up software that is half way decent will do what is known as an incremental back-up. Basically it compares what is on the computer to what is on the back-up drive and only backs-up those files that have changed or are new which is a lot quicker than doing a full back-up.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    most win7 pcs have a "manufacturer specific" software which copies the hard disk recovery partition onto 4 (usually) DVDs. so in the case of hard disk total corruption (or failure) you can still re-install windows. to a brand new hard disk, if necessary.

if you cannot find this software, then download and install macrium reflect free edition, and copy the recovery partition onto dvds. note that, you must also make the additional macrium rescue disk, which allows you to load the saved recovery partition back onto your computer. you will also need to make the recovery partition bootable to kick start windows re-installation. use a gparted live distro, previously burned "as iso" onto a blank cd or dvd.

the repair disk is a small amount of data, which assumes windows is "mostly still there", but horribly mangled! It's basically just a reboot to system repair, which happens anyway if windows detects very bad errors ........ this assumes that the hard disk recovery partition is undamaged

note that, with manufacturer supplied recovery software, some gives the option of saving user data - as well as reinstalling windows - and some doesn't !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right...so I'm guessing that to transfer these updates to ext HD you do not follow the standard backup and restore instructions e.g. "set up back up"? Do you know how these updates are set up to transfer from windows7?

The software will know you have set it up before and will offer to do the required additional backup.