Options

Respect to Ronan Keating

CFCJM1CFCJM1 Posts: 2,065
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Have never been a Boyzone fan myself and often thought Ronan Keating was a twerp with a big ego but I take my hat off to him this week. He - and the others - have shown such support for Stephen Gateley's family and given him the best send off they possibly could.

To have spent the night in the church last night and then to have got up and spoken (and sung I believe) at the funeral shows incredible strength of character on his part.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ronan has been brilliant this week but so have the other 3 guys, Mikey, Shane and Keith. They have all shown how much they loved Stephen and how much of a true friend they were by their actions. Very emotional today hearing them talk and then Ronan singing. Must have been very hard for them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    Here here, as a massive boyzone fan.... Ronan u r a star. Infact all the lads's are. u have all pulled together in a difficult time x
  • Options
    louloubelle1978louloubelle1978 Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here, Here!

All the lads have been brilliant
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I cried when I heard Ronan's speech this morning.
    I just realised how close they all were.
    very moving.
  • Options
    gemmaovwales03gemmaovwales03 Posts: 7,183
    Forum Member
    What amazing friends Stephen has. They did him proud this week true friends!
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ronan nearly totally broke down when making his speech. I think this says everything about how close they were to each other. They all must have had such a connection with each other.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    It was so moving for the boys to spend with night at the Church so that Stephen wouldn't be alone as his mum had mentioned to them.
    I was ok watching the funeral until Ronan spoke then it was floods of tears, just so sad.

piper
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    I agree Boyzone music is not my genre
    but the support they have given each other and Stephens husband and parents was remarkable.
    I too was in floods of tears, the words were just perfect.
    made you laugh & cry :(
    So big respect to Ronan, Mickey, Shane and Keith
    You guys done your friend proud
    Well done Guys xxx
  • Options
    Mrs CMrs C Posts: 1,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same here..had a preconceived idea about Ronan (not a big fan tbh) but a touching, heartfelt speech and Stephen would be really proud to have been part of this group.
  • Options
    cobaltmalecobaltmale Posts: 21,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to admit, despite never being a big Boyzone/Ronan fan, he made me cry today.

G
  • Options
    gettygetty Posts: 3,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never liked Ronan either, but I blubbed yesterday when I listened to his moving speech.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,433
    Forum Member
    I felt tearful when hearing his speech at Stephen's funeral. Very sad time for all :(
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think you have to be a big fan of Boyzone to acknowledge the fact they have been clearly devastated by Stephen's death and their composure throughout the past week has been admirable.

Ronan was completely broken, which only the hard-hearted would fail to be moved by.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sobbed yesterday when listening to all of the boys talking about Stephen, I hope his family take comfort in what great friends he had. It's not often you hear such genuine heartfelt tributes in the land of showbiz.
  • Options
    Geelong CatGeelong Cat Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything the four boys have done this week has shown how genuine their friendship actually is. They obviously think of each other more like brothers than friends. Total respect to all of them.
  • Options
    AstonvilsAstonvils Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    CFCJM1 wrote: »
    Have never been a Boyzone fan myself and often thought Ronan Keating was a twerp with a big ego but I take my hat off to him this week. He - and the others - have shown such support for Stephen Gateley's family and given him the best send off they possibly could.

To have spent the night in the church last night and then to have got up and spoken (and sung I believe) at the funeral shows incredible strength of character on his part.

After reading the newspapers this week and watching the coverage of the funeral yesterday, I felt I wanted to tell the world how wonderful these 4 chaps have been.

They have truly shown how much love and respect they had for their fellow band member but more importantly their "brother".

Thanks for starting the thread. It has given me the opportunity.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a Boyzone fan I've been incredibly proud of the way the guys have conducted themselves this week. They've shown such support to Stephen's partner and family and remained so strong even though they've clearly been grieving for someone they regarded as a brother. Their send-off yesterday was so fitting and Ronan's beautiful speech in particular just broke my heart. Well done guys, Stephen would be so proud of you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never been a Boyzone fan either but Sloopy's right, only the most hard-hearted of people could fail to be moved by Ronan's speech. It was lovely, very heart-felt and genuine. All the guys have been great, Stephen was lucky to have been loved so much.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another one here who has not exactly been supportive of Boyzone in the past but they have handled this past week with class and dignity and deserve praise.

They are an example to other 'showbiz' people who may be in this postion that you don't always have to make a song and dance and a performance about everything.

Well done boys, Stephen would have been proud.
  • Options
    Rikki65Rikki65 Posts: 8,449
    Forum Member
    I was gutted when the group split up. Ronan's a really nice person. I was honoured to have met him at Wembley when he signed my programme and he was really down to earth.
  • Options
    drbolognaisedrbolognaise Posts: 2,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a huge Boyzone fan. And Stephen and Ronan were my faves. I spent the entire day yesterday crying.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually like Ronan Keating and thought his speech showed what great friends they were.

However (I mean absolutely no disrepect), does anyone think they were just more than friends. I've heard reports in the past about them possibly being in a relationship. (Not that its a big deal)
  • Options
    kts2kkts2k Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    I actually like Ronan Keating and thought his speech showed what great friends they were.

However (I mean absolutely no disrepect), does anyone think they were just more than friends. I've heard reports in the past about them possibly being in a relationship. (Not that its a big deal)

Yes, they were more then just friends- they were brothers. They all looked after Stephen (I think they all look after each other really).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kts2k wrote: »
    Yes, they were more then just friends- they were brothers. They all looked after Stephen (I think they all look after each other really).

I meant were they in a relationship :o
  • Options
    kts2kkts2k Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    I meant were they in a relationship :o

Yep, I know you did...:rolleyes: