Good ghost movies?

Comments

• Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    If you want something a little different from the spooky old house type of story, try Clint Eastwood's High Plains Drifter and Pale Rider which have hints of the supernatural
  • ruddigerruddiger Posts: 2,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beetlejuice :D
  • GabriellaGabriella Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hera wrote: »
    Poltergeist (1982)

Excellent movie!

Ahhh...yes, got that one but forgot tto mention it. :cool:
  • GabriellaGabriella Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    biggebruv wrote: »
    the shining

Is that a ghost story? I've seen it a few times :confused:

Ahh...and The Sixth Sense, forgot that one too.

Not heard of the rest, will give them a go. Thanks :cool:
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Ghost and Mrs. Muir and Lady in White.
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Others
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    I can't think of any actual good ghost films other than what's already been mentioned. I found this documentary rather creepy though -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FcSYeszW9c
  • mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,316
    Forum Member
    Poltergeist
    The Haunted (True Story Smurl family)
    The Entity
    The Others
    A Christmas Carol
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blithe Spirit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Haunted,its a tv movie but it was pretty scary for its time,heres a link for the movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcLZleMNRZ8
  • gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rhodes666 wrote: »
    The Haunted,its a tv movie but it was pretty scary for its time,heres a link for the movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcLZleMNRZ8

That was pretty good if I remember. One or two disturbing scenes, too!

Like:
    The man who gets raped by the one of the ghosts

The Amityville Horror (either version...both are good) and Amityville II: The Possession
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    The Others.

The Ring (Japanese or US version).
  • BagpipesBagpipes Posts: 5,443
    Forum Member
    Another vote here for The Orphanage. Very good ghost story and very creepy. The ending is excellent.
  • toccyladtoccylad Posts: 1,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the lady in white is a fantastic film really scary
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I had watched many movies of all genre. The most I like is romantic movies. Also have watched many ghost's and horror movies. And among that i liked "Silent Hills". It was a real scary movie. It feels like you, yourself are indulged in there.

Nice movie.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you want something a little different from the spooky old house type of story, try Clint Eastwood's High Plains Drifter and Pale Rider which have hints of the supernatural
    Umm, whilst High Plains Drifter is certainly a ghost story, Pale Rider isn't really. Some say it's based on Jesus's resurrectiuon but Jesus didn't come back and kick ass after rising from the dead.

As no one has mentioned it yet I'll add "The Frighteners", which is a good film and much scarier than you expect a Michael J Fox comedy film to be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    I could list hundreds of movies that scared me half to death when i was a child, but now I'm a "less impressionable" adult there are still a few that manage to still give me the creeps and some newies:-

The Woman in Black (which i think is being remade into a film starring Daniel Radcliffe)
    Ghostwatch
    The Shining
    A Tale of Two Sisters
    Ringu
    The Orphanage
    The Others
    Session 9
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    If this is the Gabriel Byrne one then avoid if you don't like gruesome films. Which I wish I had done. :p

I would avoid this not because its gory, but because its aweful. The only good scene is the very begining. Poor film IMHO. What was funny though was the man who asked me afterwards if it had been a true story lol.

I would say Poltergeist, The Entity are classics
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Rorschach wrote: »
    Umm, whilst High Plains Drifter is certainly a ghost story, Pale Rider isn't really. Some say it's based on Jesus's resurrectiuon but Jesus didn't come back and kick ass after rising from the dead.

According to imdb.com
    When Stockburn arrives in town, Coy La Hood describes the Preacher to him. Stockburn appears unnerved and says quietly, "That man is dead," perhaps hinting that he had killed him or watched him die before. Clint Eastwood revealed in interviews that his character is in fact a ghost.

Strangely I seem to recall reading that Eastwood suggested his character in High Plains Drifter was simply the dead Sheriff's brother.

Still, that's what I like about those movies. They leave it up to the viewer to decide.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to imdb.com
    When Stockburn arrives in town, Coy La Hood describes the Preacher to him. Stockburn appears unnerved and says quietly, "That man is dead," perhaps hinting that he had killed him or watched him die before. Clint Eastwood revealed in interviews that his character is in fact a ghost.

Strangely I seem to recall reading that Eastwood suggested his character in High Plains Drifter was simply the dead Sheriff's brother.

How odd, completely the opposite to how I've always seen them :p
  • McLovin85McLovin85 Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched Paranormal Activity 2 last night and what a let down that was.

Going to watch over the next few days or so these...

The Entity
    Trick R Treat
    Nightmare On Elm Street
    Ghost Ship
    The Amityville Horror
  • ohiromeohirome Posts: 2,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DO NOT WATCH THE ENTITY. It is soooooooo bad, like ridiculously bad. If you like bad acting, really random use of a soundtrack and a hideously bad plot, watch it...otherwise avoid!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    I think The Others is on tomorrow night on film 4..its ok,,but i found it boring
  • filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haunted ...1995 ... with Aidan Quinn and a very young Kate Beckinsale ...classy ghost story ! ..also love the haunting theme music to it !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    toccylad wrote: »
    the lady in white is a fantastic film really scary

Yes its a very good movie,perfect for this time of year,heres a link to the movie for anyone who hasnt saw it yet...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqj7zk100T0