Options

Am I being a bit melodramatic here??

mumbles26mumbles26 Posts: 5,769
Forum Member
Today my husband helped the Mum of one of my daughter's school friend.

In a nutshell this friend has had a car mechanic dicking her around about fixing her car etc

Anyway, her husband knows nothing about cars so she asked my husband to go to the mechanics with her and get the truth from them about what they are doing about the car. She asked my hubby to pretend he was her husband so that the garage would be less likely to try and fob her off.

I'm absolutely fuming that he did this. I don't for one minute suspect he's cheating on me, he's not that sort of bloke but I think she was out of order asking him to pretend to be her husband and I'm mad that he even agreed to do it.

Am I being overly sensitive and dramatic here?

thanks for reading

Comments

• Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    yes..
  • Options
    jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest I'd just think it was amusing, and a kind thing to do; nothing to get het up about. I doubt when he told you about it he thought that it would upset you :confused:
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless there is more to the story, then I think you might be over reacting a little.....

The garage is messing her around, your hubby can help, she feels it necessary to have him pretend to be her husband - yeah that probably isn't necessary but I can see her thinking. Unless she has a reputation or your hubby can't be trusted....where is the harm?
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    yep.
    All I will add is that why it may have been a slight comfort to have a 'bloke' there it's not that useful if he knows sod all about cars.

She should have asked around for a male friend / friend of friend etc. (if she thinks having a man there will improve the situation) who knows a bit so that they could be confident in talking to the mechanic.
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess now that you have got it off your chest it won't bother you any more.

Sometimes things just escalate when they're whizzing round your head. This is a good place to vent.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes..

^^^^^^ This:)
  • Options
    chattamanukchattamanuk Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMHO, I think you are being over sensitive, I think your hubby was just being nice and playing along to do her a favour.

In fact, your first sentence describes the action quite nicely... "Today my husband helped the Mum......."
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mumbles26 wrote: »
    Am I being overly sensitive and dramatic here?

Yes, very much so. By doing what he did, he probably helped her out a great deal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes ( as others have said )
    At least it shows your deep love for hubby so its all good I suppose :)
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So why exactly are you angry that he helped someone out to stop them maybe getting massively ripped off?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out of interest, how did you find out? Did he tell you. If so, don't sweat. If you had been in the same position I bet you would have been happy for someone top help you out.
  • Options
    Dawn SunDawn Sun Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes you are! Totally!

He sounds a really nice bloke helping her out like that! It also sounds like a pretty good plan for him to pretend he was her husband so she could get some proper answers.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes and I think if you really did react like this then you have issues that you need to look at. I don't think it shows love for hubby but trust/insecurity in your relationship.

has he done anything in the past to make you suspect that he is up to something ?
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as 'pretending to be her husband' didn't involve having sex in front of the mechanics, then yes you are overreacting. :D
  • Options
    JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    depends if he was greasing up her axle
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    to be fair he didnt have to pretend to be anyone, just his prescence as token bloke would have met her purpose, its all a bit weird but i think I would be more annoyed at her then him, just think he was being a bit naive.
  • Options
    RickWhiteRickWhite Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems a dumb thing to do to be fair
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    My husband always takes my car to the garage if it's something he can't fix himself. I know I would get ripped off. If I didn't have a husband I think I would ask a man to go with me. I would hope the garage would assume he was my OH without having to pretend. I think it's harmless though.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fuming about that seems bit of an over reaction

Unless you think the woman is after your husband or hes after her.

Her own husband sounds like a funny fish. If they both thought she was being messed about by the mechanics then he's a bit of a dead loss not to have gone with her, regardless of what he knows or doesn't about cars. A token bloke is what was needed, as has been said.
  • Options
    mumbles26mumbles26 Posts: 5,769
    Forum Member
    Thanks ever so much everyone for your honesty.

A few hours now of calming down and reading all your advice, I can see that I'm being silly.

But can I still give him a guilt trip and milk it a bit so that I get some perfume or something from hubby as a 'I'm sorry for upsetting you' !!

:) I sound awful don't I, but I won't really make him suffer. I'm daft I know

thanks again
    xx
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think you are being a bit melodramatic.

I think you are being a lot melodramatic.
  • Options
    terry66532terry66532 Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes definately
  • Options
    JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    did she crank his shaft though?
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    shouldn`t it be you apologising?
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    You now want to give him a guilt trip for helping a friend to make yourself feel better for being upset with him for no apparent reason? :confused: