Captain Phillips - another film ruined by shakey-cam

Comments

• EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Outstanding film - felt like I'd lived through the whole experience with him by the end of it. Tom Hanks is incredible and so are the newcomers in the cast who more than hold their own alongside him.
  • jamiesdjamiesd Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fantastic film, brilliant acting.

Only gripe i had was that some of the scenes dragged a bit.

Just my opinion but don't let that put you off seeing it. Its still very good.

:D
  • occasional postoccasional post Posts: 6,351
    Forum Member
    jamiesd wrote: »
    Fantastic film, brilliant acting.

Only gripe i had was that some of the scenes dragged a bit.

Just my opinion but don't let that put you off seeing it. Its still very good.

:D

I agree - I saw it at the weekend and enjoyed it but thought it could have been 20 mins shorter, mainly by trimming some of the scenes in the lifeboat which seemed a little repetitive.

I does bug me slightly that no one (animators aside) seem to want to make 90 min films anymore - 2 hours or more is the norm these days
  • paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree - I saw it at the weekend and enjoyed it but thought it could have been 20 mins shorter, mainly by trimming some of the scenes in the lifeboat which seemed a little repetitive.

I does bug me slightly that no one (animators aside) seem to want to make 90 min films anymore - 2 hours or more is the norm these days

I agree totally.Saw this this afternoon.Pretty enjoyable,but wow,the the scenes you mentioned dragged on so long that it took the shine off the film for me.
  • TexAveryWolfTexAveryWolf Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw the movie tonight.
    Whatever its' basis in actuality, this is a nerve-shredding couple of hours.I was never less than gripped or fascinated, and whilst I expected the Grassicam to give me motion sickness, it didn't.

Hanks is superb.
  • semimintedsemiminted Posts: 3,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hanks is amazing and his acting appears effortless in parts. And the Actors playing Somalis felt so real and believable.

Even pirates have an American dream....
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I saw this film tonight - amazing! The last scene was absolutely fantastic. The first thing I said to my friend when it finished was "you can tell why he's won two Oscars!!"
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Cant believe 4 somalian men took over a huge ship. Coudn't they pour boiling water over the top to stop them . The gates werent very effective at all to stop them coming aboard either.
    Did have some simpathy for the men at the end. That guy sent to prison in america for all those years..he might as well have been shot with the others.
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Cant believe 4 somalian men took over a huge ship. Coudn't they pour boiling water over the top to stop them . The gates werent very effective at all to stop them coming aboard either.
    Did have some simpathy for the men at the end. That guy sent to prison in america for all those years..he might as well have been shot with the others.

What....and risk getting shot whilst you are tipping the bucket over the side.
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the spoilers :rolleyes::mad:
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member

You learnt a lesson there. Never read a movie thread until after you have been to the cinema :o
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

what surprised me was that the crew had no guns , are they not allowed them ?
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    No, he's winding you up. Basically, the pirates don't manage to get on board and the film ends at that. Best 10 minutes of my life ever.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member

Every trailer, review and synopsis that I've seen includes the fact that the pirates get aboard. Here's another one for you - the boat sinks at the end of Titanic.:D
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Sorry...didnt know how to put spoilers on....!! You needn't go now..you know what happens..saved you money :)
    I would have hid on the deck and chucked hot water over between the bullets!
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally got round to watching ths last night . I loved it didn't really notice the shaky cam at all if I'm honest . I'm not sure how the people complaining about it manage to walk across the street without collapsing :D.
    Anyway I thiught it was a bloody brilliant film. I loved how it didn't go down the usual route of portraying the Americans as really heroic and the best of the best . Plus it made u think about why some Somalians are drawn in the first place to piracy.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must say that I don't recall the shaky cam at all.

I thought Captain Phillips was a great film with excellent performances not only from Tom Hanks, but the 4 actors who played the main Somali pirates.

They were really menacing & crazed & they really added to the tension of the film.

Best film I've seen in 2013.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    what surprised me was that the crew had no guns , are they not allowed them ?

At the time they were not allowed to use guns. Now, as a result of this and other incidents, they have security staff who are allowed to use them...
  • vacumtoobsvacumtoobs Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agree,seen a few bladder straining 3 hr plus epics,but GRAVITY is only 90mins and the new film about JFK being shot,PARKLAND is about 90 mins too.

PS,to some of the other posters,thnks for comments about "shakey cam" was half thinking about seeing Capt Phillips.......................may think twice now :(
  • tom_domutoatom_domutoa Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    vacumtoobs wrote: »
    Agree,seen a few bladder straining 3 hr plus epics,but GRAVITY is only 90mins and the new film about JFK being shot,PARKLAND is about 90 mins too.

PS,to some of the other posters,thnks for comments about "shakey cam" was half thinking about seeing Capt Phillips.......................may think twice now :(

I will give you an example of how bad the filming was......

before he gets on his ship, Cap Phillips was in his hometown in the US. His wife drives him to the airport to catch his plane that will take him to his ship. Innocuous shots you may think...yeah.........NO

The entire 3 min sequence is shot with the camera framing Tom Hanks nasal hairs.......whilst the car is being driven....

It was that bad.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seen this last week.

Great movie.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Watched it this weekend, even the wife enjoyed it. Another excellent performance from Tom Hanks. Didn't notice the shakey cam myself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    The only difference between this movie and a jason statham movie is tom hanks was in it and it was based on a real story with some unknown actors.
    but really it was no different. except the acting was not the best in captain phillips
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Captain Phillips wipes the floor with Gravity.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    I will give you an example of how bad the filming was......

before he gets on his ship, Cap Phillips was in his hometown in the US. His wife drives him to the airport to catch his plane that will take him to his ship. Innocuous shots you may think...yeah.........NO

The entire 3 min sequence is shot with the camera framing Tom Hanks nasal hairs.......whilst the car is being driven....

It was that bad.

It's called cinematography and is a skill, something you don't seem to get. If every film was shot using full frame wide shots with no movement at all it would soon become extremely dull. There is no problem with they way this film looks, it fits the subject matter perfectly.