Options

when to get help for suspected PND

merrybiscuitmerrybiscuit Posts: 648
Forum Member
✭✭
so i have a history of depression and know the risks associated. i have an 8 month old son.

the past few weeks have been a real trial and i've remained strong. we had a car crash with baby in the back. it wasnt out fault someone went into us st speed. then the day after we took our dog to the vet and he has suspected oral cancer so i'm waiting for results on him.

little things are starting to niggle at me that others do. although logically i know i cant stop people parking inconsideratley, or being rude. it makes me lose sleep. then theres the fact i want to sleep in and laze about all day.

i feel as though everyone would be better off if i disappeared. i also love the idea of running away.

i had to cancel my appointment with my counsellor today as i was trying to find another car.

i really dont want to go on meds again. i'm scared it will affect my care for my son. but i know that i'm getting to the point where waking up every day is a struggle.

i just dont know what to do. my husband wants me to book an appointment as he's really worried about me but i'm so scared they'll take my son away, or decide i need intervention .

what can i do?

Comments

• Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    The fact that you recognise you might have it, is a good sign. They won't take your son away, you just need to get some help.
    I'd definitely make an appt. either with your GP or you mentioned your counsellor?

Just seen about your dog too, my old dog had the same. If you wanted a chat, feel free to pm me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Do you or your partner have a mum nearby who can step in and take your wee one for a day or two to give you a break. My daughter suffers from depression and had bad pnd, we brought Ava to us to give her a much needed break. She wasn't keen on taking meds either. She used to worry the social services would get involved and take the baby away too. Ava is now a very healthy happy loveable wee (nearly) 5 year old. I hope your dog is ok too. Our pets are so precious to us. Take care. x
  • Options
    merrybiscuitmerrybiscuit Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thanks for your help. i'm going to see my dr on monday and see what he recommends.

the biggest problem with leaving the little one is that i'm breastfeeding. so its difficult. i may see if my husband will take him for a day. maybe to his parents.

thanks for all your kind words about my dog. he's so precious to me and i'm so worried about what they will say,

i had a big cry with my husband tonight and explained that i felt they may my son away. he reassured me and is going to come with me to my gp. just hope it makes me feel better.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    My dog had mouth cancer, was given 2 months to live. She carried on for another 15 months before it got too much for her. There is always hope.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its extremely unlikely that there will be any child protection referral, let alone any moves to remove your child.

Even if, and its a big if, the GP made a child in need referral to social services for support for you, their focus is on making sure that the family have the right support in order to parent your child effectively. Your husband is a huge part of this, he is able to support you and parent your child just as effectively as you, therefore there is little need for intervention.

Your GP may be able to refer you to more specific post natal emotional support services, GPs are too general to know too much about this area but he may be able to help you decide whether its more important to stay off medication (as this is your preference at the moment) or to go on medication if this is what he assesses you need to improve your mental health and quality of life.

You have several significant stressors, new baby, car accident, poorly pet, history of low mood, you wouldnt expect not to need support at such a time would you. Imagine what you would advise a friend to do.