how to get to wembly

merrybiscuitmerrybiscuit Posts: 648
Forum Member
✭✭
hi all,
I really want to go to Wembley to watch the league one play off final. i am terrified of the tube and the train. it plays on my anxiety.

i would love to go by coach but it seems national express are only putting this on for the northern away supporters.

i'm not sure about driving in london. i am coming from the east of england.

i really dont want to miss it but am so scared.

i have a lift home offered but hes coming from a different direction to me. its my dads best mate and hes always taken me. i'm 28!

can anyone offer any alternatives?

thanks

Comments

• gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    which club? could you not enquire at the club? is it Brentford?
  • merrybiscuitmerrybiscuit Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nope. leyton orient. i will do but need to confirm if i want a ticket tomorrow as someone will pick one up for me. i doubt the o's will pop a coach on as it's 'local' to them...
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't look it up.

Barry Hearne will take you personally if you ask him nicely.

You know you will be OK on the tube. It's all good natured.

Good luck.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol he wont even answer my tweets :(

edited to say i didnt tweet him about a lift just about a RT as i had given birth to a 5th generation o's supporter last year :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fully agree with you about public transport on matchday. You see the worst in everyone - not helpful if you are suffering from anxiety!
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I used to travel to Wembley from central London on the number 18 bus

If you can get yourself to the Euston area........it starts at Euston station

Wembley Triangle is the nearest stop to the Stadium, about a 10-15 minute walk away
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You wouldn't really be driving in London, more around it. Wembley is not technically London. You would come round the A406, traffic is bad on match days and I've never parked there but I imagine it would cost a few bob
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    actually driving is pretty simple. As mentioned come round for north circular A406. Aim to get there a couple of hours before match time and traffic is not too bad, much improved with new stadium. You can park up and there is plenty to do around the stadium or surrounding area.

There are over 2,000 official parking spaces and you can book one in advance here,

http://www.wembleyofficialparking.com/createbooking/selecttariff/231

Cost is £30 for day which is not to bad if you can split it amongst a few of you.

There are plenty of un-official parking in the industrial area and tbh I've used it several times in the past but its not as secure and its first come, first serve. Prices vary from £10 to £20.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    As said above it's very easy to drive to. The authorities also put in place traffic easing measures around Wembley to allow the flow of traffic to/from the A406 >M1. They also re-phase the traffic lights on Great Central Way.

I work around Wembley all the time, and even on match days the place never really clogs up (unless you're going against the flow (which is usually me:()

The worst traffic is actually away from Wembley where there are no measures in place. Coming off the M1 into Stanmore/Edgware .... better to bypass that if you're driving.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As said above it's very easy to drive to. The authorities also put in place traffic easing measures around Wembley to allow the flow of traffic to/from the A406 >M1. They also re-phase the traffic lights on Great Central Way.

I work around Wembley all the time, and even on match days the place never really clogs up (unless you're going against the flow (which is usually me:()

The worst traffic is actually away from Wembley where there are no measures in place. Coming off the M1 into Stanmore/Edgware .... better to bypass that if you're driving.

Are you talking about M1 J5 which a lot of people do, then take the Jubilee line tube from Stanmore ?

Else if you are driving from up north, stay on the M1 to the end where it meets the A406 and Wembley should only be around 10 minutes away.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to Wembley when Leeds were in the play-offs some years back. We stayed at the near-by Travel Lodge. Drove there, very straight forward and then walked to Wembley, about 20 minutes or so I think. The queues for the trains etc at the end of the game were horrific.

There was limited free parking near the hotel (back then, may not be now) and quite a number of unused spaces despite the game been a sell-out.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You wouldn't really be driving in London, more around it. Wembley is not technically London. You would come round the A406, traffic is bad on match days and I've never parked there but I imagine it would cost a few bob

Isn't that just an argument in semantics, though? :confused:

I think you would struggle to find many people who would agree with you even if you are technically correct. After all, the actual city of London is one of the smallest cities in the world. What people consider as "London" is the City of Westminster and its surrounding areas......

When we have gone to Wembley we have always parked at Hillingdon Tube Station and got the train. Yes it is technically the tube, but it is overground all the way. ;-)
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Marylebone to Wembley Stadium on the overground train. It's the first stop and under 10 minutes. You'll just have to man up for the day.
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    I fully agree with you about public transport on matchday. You see the worst in everyone - not helpful if you are suffering from anxiety!

The vast majority of football fans are perfectly normal and nice people.

Yes they can sing a bit and sometimes get a bit loud, but you are much safer travelling on the underground with a mob of football fans than you would be without them.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you suffer from anxiety then driving through London is sure to make it worse. Not to mention the stress of watching a football match in the middle of tens of thousands of people.

The tube is easy. Whenever I'm at Wembley I always have a few drinks in central London then take the tube to Wembley Park.
  • SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    Practice.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, if you're an Orient fan, can I assume you would be coming from near North Greenwich way? If so, the Jubilee Line goes from there (the O2) right to Wembley Park station, you wouldn't need to change. You'll get a seat that far back down the line, as it won't start to get busier till at least London Bridge. Can I ask you what terrifies you about the tube?
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    Can I ask you what terrifies you about the tube?
    Or the train?? I should have thought that driving or going on a coach is less safe that a train.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

The tube is easy. Whenever I'm at Wembley I always have a few drinks in central London then take the tube to Wembley Park.

If you are going to have a drink near to Wembley before or after the game, you'll need your ticket handy as pubs are segregated and you can only drink in the ones designated for your team.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Or the train?? I should have thought that driving or going on a coach is less safe that a train.

I asked specifically about the tube because I suggested a route on the tube. But I imagibe the OPs fears about both could be the same. And I'd have thought so, if only going on how many car accidents there are every day, as opposed to train/tube accidents.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    If you are going to have a drink near to Wembley before or after the game, you'll need your ticket handy as pubs are segregated and you can only drink in the ones designated for your team.

Are there many pubs near to the Wembley Tube stations (Park and Central)?

A better bet is to head back into London and try The Globe (opp Baker St) or the Argyll Arms (near Marylebone).
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    Are you talking about M1 J5 which a lot of people do, then take the Jubilee line tube from Stanmore ?

Else if you are driving from up north, stay on the M1 to the end where it meets the A406 and Wembley should only be around 10 minutes away.

I meant M1 - J4. On match days is a real bottleneck on the A41 Edgware Way/Watford Bypass. Like you say, I always stay on the M1 to Staples Corner and join the A406 from there. Once you're in the right lane (on the one-way-system) it's pretty straightforward to get on to the A406 and on to Wembley. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I meant M1 - J4. On match days is a real bottleneck on the A41 Edgware Way/Watford Bypass. Like you say, I always stay on the M1 to Staples Corner and join the A406 from there. Once you're in the right lane (on the one-way-system) it's pretty straightforward to get on to the A406 and on to Wembley. :)

sorry, I meant J4. Its quick up to Apex corner normally but then you hit a load of traffic as it merges with the A1. Really no point taking it.
  • callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just change the sport you watch.:D

Football's boring ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thanks for all the replies :)

i'm an orient supporter but will be coming from suffolk! my parents got posh and moved away lol

i am a women so don't want to man up!

with regards to the tube and being scared it's actually anxiety around being alone and walking around not knowing where i am going. although i can read a tube map, i'm so worried about doing it bymyself.

with a bus i can normally get dropped off close enough to see where i am trying to get to.

sadly after a conversation with mu husband i am going to give it a miss and try and watch on tv.

being in a crowd doesnt play on my anxiety as if someone were to attack me then i'd have a huge crowd of people!