Amazon takes on Netflix with rebrand of LoveFilm video-on-demand service

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    guy1968 wrote: »
    I had a look around it last night on my WII. I thought there was a lot more free content added. I can't comment on the films but for the TV stuff on offer it now seems almost identical to Netflix UK. I don't remember shows like 24, prison break, sons of anarchy, Alcatraz, the Tudors, etc being available before the change.

The Tudors definitely was.

I think there's less free content than before, or maybe it's just different things, because a number of titles that I had on my watchlist are no longer available.

There appear to be 3,194 free to watch titles now (despite the fact that they are advertising it as 15,000. Can anyone remember how many Lovefilm Instant used to offer?
  • tvsatweektvsatweek Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have we lost any dvd s or blu ray s on lovefilm by post
  • BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    Why oh why have they got 2 streaming services?

Prime Instant Video or Amazon Instant Video. Which is it?

Why do I, an non-Prime customer, have access to Prime Videos? You'd think I'll have free access to Amazon Instant Videos but that doesn't seem to be the case. It took me a while to realise that Amazon Instant Videos is their rental/buying service and Prime is actually the non-rental service (or it looks that way to me).

Confusing as hell. Why not just call the whole thing Amazon Instant Video and be done with it? It worked just fine when it was called Lovefilm Instant.
  • td1983td1983 Posts: 2,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvsatweek wrote: »
    Have we lost any dvd s or blu ray s on lovefilm by post

It appears we may have. I was looking to add the recent film The Call to my rental list earlier today, and Lovefilm had it listed as being available from 28th March. Looked on it today, nowhere to be seen, perhaps added to their streaming service instead. It is all very confusing. I said on here a while back that I could sense a rebrand was on the cards. Considering Amazon's reputation, I think they've handled it very badly. The old Lovefilm website was great, very user friendly, the new one is way too confusing. From a loyal customer of nearly six years now. Sort it out, Amazon.
  • xbob26xbob26 Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    There appear to be 3,194 free to watch titles now (despite the fact that they are advertising it as 15,000. Can anyone remember how many Lovefilm Instant used to offer?

I made a note the day before changeover: Film and Features 2,268, TV 949 which makes a total of 3,217.

Nowhere near the 15,000 at no extra cost!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    there's less free content than before

Whilst I understand what you mean (and I'm finding the same) but phrased like this it misses the point slightly. This isn't (wasn't) free content at all.

It is (was) content that was included as part of the subscription fee we paid to Lovefilm.
    Migrated customers now pay the same subscription direct to Amazon AND have to pay an additional fee to do more than just browse for much of this content.

I'm sure I read the word "seemless" on the waffle from amazon about the migration. They ought to order a dictionary from some bookseller to understand what it means.
  • BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    xbob26 wrote: »
    I made a note the day before changeover: Film and Features 2,268, TV 949 which makes a total of 3,217.

Nowhere near the 15,000 at no extra cost!

I wonder if they're counting each TV episode for each series as a title, hence the 15,000 figure.

Or maybe they can't do Maths. ;-)
  • xbob26xbob26 Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    BigFoot87 wrote: »
    I wonder if they're counting each TV episode for each series as a title, hence the 15,000 figure.
    Could be the case.
  • wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulsalter wrote: »
    Getting confused now with this service

I search the prime instant video section for doctor who

If I click on Doctor Who: David Tennant Specials, I get a green box with watch now in it, this I expect and is a free to view
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HO14KHM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&keywords=doctor%20who&qid=1393612164&s=instant-video&sr=1-1

however

If I select Doctor Who season one
    I get an orange box with join prime, watch free. is this free to watch, If I click does it start me on a free trial for the £79/year prime service (tried clicking, just takes me to a page and asks me to log in again, can not watch the video as go round in circles)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EUVQR48/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&keywords=doctor%20who&qid=1393612164&s=instant-video&sr=1-2

I am on the migrated Lovefilm account £5.99 for instant and £4 discs

Sounds to me as if something is wrong with your account as its working fine for me. Maybe send them a support message about it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigFoot87 wrote: »
    Why oh why have they got 2 streaming services?

Prime Instant Video or Amazon Instant Video. Which is it?

Why do I, an non-Prime customer, have access to Prime Videos? You'd think I'll have free access to Amazon Instant Videos but that doesn't seem to be the case. It took me a while to realise that Amazon Instant Videos is their rental/buying service and Prime is actually the non-rental service (or it looks that way to me).

Confusing as hell. Why not just call the whole thing Amazon Instant Video and be done with it? It worked just fine when it was called Lovefilm Instant.

Most likely for Licencing reasons or to try's and simplify things by having a clear distinction between the services
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    They seem to be changing titles from instant to rental now too. I found Theres Something About Mary in the comedy section on Thursday night and it was part of the instant streaming selection. I even played the first five minutes of it. Last night I thought I might watch it and there it was in recently watched. But now it is rental only. It will not let me view it as part of instant streaming which it did do just 24 hours before. Just had another look and it now has a banner saying this video is currently unavailable for playback due to out licensing agreement.
  • PaulS67PaulS67 Posts: 12,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wakey wrote: »
    Sounds to me as if something is wrong with your account as its working fine for me. Maybe send them a support message about it

Thanks

It was an issue at Amazon end, quite a few reports of this happening

All seems fine now, another series I had issues with was back working later last night also
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    They seem to be changing titles from instant to rental now too. I found Theres Something About Mary in the comedy section on Thursday night and it was part of the instant streaming selection. I even played the first five minutes of it. Last night I thought I might watch it and there it was in recently watched. But now it is rental only. It will not let me view it as part of instant streaming which it did do just 24 hours before. Just had another look and it now has a banner saying this video is currently unavailable for playback due to out licensing agreement.

It may simply be a problem with the title in the move but there also a strong possibility that the 'subscription streaming' licence simply expired.

Lots of people are complaining about Greys Anatomy for example despite it stating for the past 2 weeks that it would expire this week (Sky seem to have beaten Lovefilm in the bidding for the licence for subscription streaming)
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just been playing around with the new Amazon Prime service on my Wii and laptop (shame there is no Android client yet). The picture quality is fine but I much prefer the Netflix interface.

I really haven't had chance to compare the content yet. At present I'm paying monthly for Netflix but, no be honest, I don't use it that much - mostly due to lack of time but I do like some of their original programming. I'm on the old Prime subscription rate until December so that gives me time to decide which service to keep.
  • Tom123Tom123 Posts: 1,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wakey wrote: »
    Lots of people are complaining about Greys Anatomy for example despite it stating for the past 2 weeks that it would expire this week (Sky seem to have beaten Lovefilm in the bidding for the licence for subscription streaming)

Grey's Anatomy has disappeared from Sky as well as rights have expired
  • SupercellSupercell Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Watched a couple of films through the app on my Sony Bravia and it works more smoothly and logically now than it did through the old app.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom123 wrote: »
    Grey's Anatomy has disappeared from Sky as well as rights have expired

Ah someone said it had shown up on NowTV (I haven't used NowTV since the entertainment pack was added so I wasn't sure if it had been there before)

Wonder where ABC are shopping it around to then. Guess maybe holding it back for other rights to expire to help sell something else
  • Tom123Tom123 Posts: 1,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure about NowTV... it's gone from Sky OnDemand though. I reckon that means gone from NowTV as well.
  • tvsatweektvsatweek Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Supercell wrote: »
    Watched a couple of films through the app on my Sony Bravia and it works more smoothly and logically now than it did through the old app.

Got a picture of what it looks like on it
    Forum Member
    winskil wrote: »
    Whilst I understand what you mean (and I'm finding the same) but phrased like this it misses the point slightly. This isn't (wasn't) free content at all.

It is (was) content that was included as part of the subscription fee we paid to Lovefilm.
    Migrated customers now pay the same subscription direct to Amazon AND have to pay an additional fee to do more than just browse for much of this content.

I'm sure I read the word "seemless" on the waffle from amazon about the migration. They ought to order a dictionary from some bookseller to understand what it means.

You've only quoted part of my post, I said I THINK there's less free content than before, not that there definitely is. I also said it might be that different titles are available, not less in total.

I don't really understand what you mean in your post. I used to pay £8.16 for 4 rentals a month, and then I had unlimited streaming of Lovefilm at no extra charge (i.e. free). They were actually called "Free with package" titles on the Lovefilm website. (There used to be some titles that were not free and you had to pay about £2 or £3 for, but I think they might have scrapped that idea after a while.)

Now I am paying exactly the same amount as before, just as two separate charges, one for £2.17 and one for £5.99, still a total of £8.16 a month. There is no additional charge, unless you are talking about the titles that are not on Prime? I wasn't referring to those. I was comparing the number of free with package titles on Lovefilm Instant to the number of free to stream titles on Amazon Prime.

Yes, they did use the word seamless, that was what it said in the email they sent me as well. (Actually they said they have tried to make it as seamless as possible, not that it would be completely so.)

For me, I would say it has been quite seamless! I am paying the same, amount, have the same number of discs per month, the same unlimited streaming feature, and I'm not being forced to change to another package. Everything basically carries on the same!

My only complaint is that the Amazon website is not as good as the Lovefilm one, and does have the same amount of useful information or features on it. Other than that I don't have a problem with what they have done, and I still think they offer a great service and an excellent value deal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    You've only quoted part of my post, I said I THINK there's less free content than before, not that there definitely is. I also said it might be that different titles are available, not less in total.

I don't really understand what you mean in your post. I used to pay £8.16 for 4 rentals a month, and then I had unlimited streaming of Lovefilm at no extra charge (i.e. free). They were actually called "Free with package" titles on the Lovefilm website. (There used to be some titles that were not free and you had to pay about £2 or £3 for, but I think they might have scrapped that idea after a while.)

Now I am paying exactly the same amount as before, just as two separate charges, one for £2.17 and one for £5.99, still a total of £8.16 a month. There is no additional charge, unless you are talking about the titles that are not on Prime? I wasn't referring to those. I was comparing the number of free with package titles on Lovefilm Instant to the number of free to stream titles on Amazon Prime.

Yes, they did use the word seamless, that was what it said in the email they sent me as well. (Actually they said they have tried to make it as seamless as possible, not that it would be completely so.)

For me, I would say it has been quite seamless! I am paying the same, amount, have the same number of discs per month, the same unlimited streaming feature, and I'm not being forced to change to another package. Everything basically carries on the same!

My only complaint is that the Amazon website is not as good as the Lovefilm one, and does have the same amount of useful information or features on it. Other than that I don't have a problem with what they have done, and I still think they offer a great service and an excellent value deal.

The point I was trying to make was that none of the content is or was ever free:
    WIth lovefilm's streaming service, you paid a sub and could watch everything they had available to stram. What I don't remember ever seeing was an additional charge to stream particular content - you mention it did exist, which I had never seen, but you do say that might have been scrapped after a while, so possibly why I never saw this.

What I find annoying "post migration" is that content I could see on tuesday, for no further cost other than the subscription, Amazon now wants to charge an extra fee.

A bit like paying for an all-you-can eat buffet but finding anything with meat in is an extra fee....

Anyway, I've since spoken to Amazon and they say that for my specific example, that they are going to negotiate rights to stream it... Did they really not see that one coming then? I asked if there is much content like this and apparently its "a long list".

As a temporary fix, they've credited the specific series to my account so I can continue to watch what I want to for the moment.
    Forum Member
    The point I was trying to make was that none of the content is or was ever free:
    WIth lovefilm's streaming service, you paid a sub and could watch everything they had available to stram. What I don't remember ever seeing was an additional charge to stream particular content - you mention it did exist, which I had never seen, but you do say that might have been scrapped after a while, so possibly why I never saw this.

What I find annoying "post migration" is that content I could see on tuesday, for no further cost other than the subscription, Amazon now wants to charge an extra fee.

A bit like paying for an all-you-can eat buffet but finding anything with meat in is an extra fee....

Anyway, I've since spoken to Amazon and they say that for my specific example, that they are going to negotiate rights to stream it... Did they really not see that one coming then? I asked if there is much content like this and apparently its "a long list".

As a temporary fix, they've credited the specific series to my account so I can continue to watch what I want to for the moment.

No, you paid for the discs and then the online streaming was an extra free benefit of being a member of Lovefilm. The clue is in the phase used on their website "FREE with package"!

The pay to view titles were definitely there for a while, I remember it clearly. I think it was around 2009 - 2010. They tended to be the newest or biggest releases. You know how on your Lovefilm rental list (unlike how it is now on Amazon) they used to indicate all the titles that were also available to watch online? Well there used to be a little box next to each one of these which would either say free or have a price, usually £1.99, £2.49 or £3.49.

Okay, now I understand what you mean, you are talking about individual examples of programmes/films that were free on Lovefilm Instant, but are not in Prime. But it might work the other way too, that a few things that were not on Lovefilm Instant could be available on Amazon Prime. Like I said before, it may be a case of a different selection of titles available at no additional charge, rather than less in total.

That's actually quite a helpful response from Amazon. They obviously don't want to lose any customers! It shows that it's worth contacting them if you are not happy about something, rather than just putting up with it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    They have added Once Upon A Time so it follows that S3 will be on there at some point- good news for fans now that this is dropped on CH 5. Also two seasons of grim were added today.

I think the content is definitely better with the change.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Just been looking through the lists and have come across a large number of titles which I watched through lovefilm instant ( even quite recently) and they are now rental titles. It is also annoying that the prime titles and rentals are included together in the same lists even though there is a separate list for details.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's always been the case though. Licences for streaming end every day on all of these streaming services, most days its generally between 5-20 titles a day but you get days where block licences expire (often studios will lump lots of lesser intrest titles in with a popular titles to be able to sell them or they may sign a deal with a whole channel or distributor)

The only difference now is when it happens now rather than having to head to iTunes or Blinkbox to keep watching you can do so directly from Amazon. I don't think that's an awful thing myself.

Also it allows them to offer seasons which aren't being released for subscription streaming yet to be made available,. A number of people for example have Ben complaining about Hawaii five-o requiring payment for season 3 but season 3 was never available on Lovefilm as its still covered in the streaming rights that are part of Sky's first run TV deal. Its usually 12-18months after the TV airings that they show up on streaming so we still have a good few months