Options

Sky DRX 890 saturating Internet connection on R010

ccarmockccarmock Posts: 278
Forum Member
My DRX 890 has been on the .13P release for a while.

Today I have found my internet connection is almost useless. I have traced this to the Sky box, which has the small Sky USB connected WiFi adapter.

I noticed a lot of Wireless activity. When checking my wireless access point I did indeed see a huge amount of traffic being generated by the Sky box itself - the Wireless MAC address reported by the Access point matches that of the Wireless MAC on the Sky box.

When I rebooted the Sky box the traffic stopped for a period and the internet was usable again. After a few minutes the same thing happened- a huge volume of data being downloaded to the Sky box causing the Internet to become sluggish for other devices.

I have 50 Mb/s Virgin Media broadband and get around 47 Mb/s from it so it is performing well.

While all this is happening the Sky box is not set to download any on demand content. The Red record light is not on.

This didn't happen before the R10 release

So is Sky now pushing content via the Internet or instructing boxes to download via that means?

Is this a bug?

Has there been a vulnerability exploited? It seemed to start today, first of the month.....

Either way I have now disabled WiFi on the Sky box and everything is back to normal.

I see many posts of people reporting very slow downloads now - could this be because some rogue process is consuming bandwidth at the same time.

I wonder if anyone else is noticing a lot of traffic to their box today?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    Nothing out of the ordinary for me today, all seems to be working normally.

I have the box with wifi built in though.
  • Options
    Tom123Tom123 Posts: 1,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No issues here either. Both our boxes run on a wired connection
  • Options
    spearce8spearce8 Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    Nothing strange here.

How do you disable the built-in wifi, I didn't think you could?
  • Options
    ccarmockccarmock Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    To disable it I went into the settings for the network and pressed the red button to reset, which wiped out the config.

Since doing this things have been back to normal, albeit without any on demand functionality.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 221
    Forum Member
    If it's problem why don't you report it on the sky community website. It's closley monitored by the guys at Sky who may be able to say why the activity is happening.
  • Options
    NsewellNsewell Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spearce8 wrote: »
    Nothing strange here.

Switch the "OnBox Wireless Support" option within the hidden setup menu to off.

You can access the setup any by pressing: SERVICES 001 SELECT quickly.
  • Options
    StuartPlymouthStuartPlymouth Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ccarmock wrote: »
    To disable it I went into the settings for the network and pressed the red button to reset, which wiped out the config.

Since doing this things have been back to normal, albeit without any on demand functionality.
    Simply unplugging the WiFi adaptor would have disabled it. :p

You could then have set up a wired ethernet connection to your router and retained the on demand facility. :)
  • Options
    StuartPlymouthStuartPlymouth Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spearce8 wrote: »
    He doesn't have in-built WiFi, he has a USB WiFi adaptor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    ccarmock wrote: »
    My DRX 890 has been on the .13P release for a while.

Today I have found my internet connection is almost useless. I have traced this to the Sky box, which has the small Sky USB connected WiFi adapter.

I noticed a lot of Wireless activity. When checking my wireless access point I did indeed see a huge amount of traffic being generated by the Sky box itself - the Wireless MAC address reported by the Access point matches that of the Wireless MAC on the Sky box.

When I rebooted the Sky box the traffic stopped for a period and the internet was usable again. After a few minutes the same thing happened- a huge volume of data being downloaded to the Sky box causing the Internet to become sluggish for other devices.

I have 50 Mb/s Virgin Media broadband and get around 47 Mb/s from it so it is performing well.

While all this is happening the Sky box is not set to download any on demand content. The Red record light is not on.

This didn't happen before the R10 release

So is Sky now pushing content via the Internet or instructing boxes to download via that means?

Is this a bug?

Has there been a vulnerability exploited? It seemed to start today, first of the month.....

Either way I have now disabled WiFi on the Sky box and everything is back to normal.

I see many posts of people reporting very slow downloads now - could this be because some rogue process is consuming bandwidth at the same time.

I wonder if anyone else is noticing a lot of traffic to their box today?

I have a 50Gb data allowance limit on my phone which I use as a hotspot for internet use where I live (no landline connection).
    Last month I had the latest Sky box with built in wifi installed, by the 25th I received a message from my telecoms to say I had used up 40Gb of my allowance!?
    Never been anywhere near this level of usage in the past, so called my service provider and they asked one simple question: "had I added a new device that connected to the internet recently"......
    Guess what, Sky box wifi is now NOT switched on.
    What the hell were Sky doing that used up so much data I didn't ask to be used?
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pangaea wrote: »
    I have a 50Gb data allowance limit on my phone which I use as a hotspot for internet use where I live (no landline connection).
    Last month I had the latest Sky box with built in wifi installed, by the 25th I received a message from my telecoms to say I had used up 40Gb of my allowance!?
    Never been anywhere near this level of usage in the past, so called my service provider and they asked one simple question: "had I added a new device that connected to the internet recently"......
    Guess what, Sky box wifi is now NOT switched on.
    What the hell were Sky doing that used up so much data I didn't ask to be used?

If you were not using On Demand, why did you connect it to your wifi?
  • Options
    stalminenetstalminenet Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    it looks like all sky boxes must have been hacked then because i was about to report this to sky developers and then saw this post and my box is sending huge amounts of data to a server with the name kassy.ru a russian webserver, not sure what its sending from the box but a steady stream of around 1mbit/sec, is any sky software engineers or any developers able to enlighten me, also its now got a few more ports open that it used to do, obviously not going to say what ports on here but if you want to contact me i'll tell you easily, is it all boxes that have wierdly downloaded a hacked firmware or something?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    If you were not using On Demand, why did you connect it to your wifi?

To discover what it offered perhaps.....?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pangaea wrote: »
    To discover what it offered perhaps.....?

And it took you 40GB of allowance to find out.......... I would have disconnected waaaaaaay before then!!
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,524
    Forum Member
    it looks like all sky boxes must have been hacked then

Rather a broad statement based on one or two 'possible' examples, neither of which are proved to be anything of the kind :D

There are millions of Sky boxes connected to the net, and no one else complaining about it.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it looks like all sky boxes must have been hacked then because i was about to report this to sky developers and then saw this post and my box is sending huge amounts of data to a server with the name kassy.ru a russian webserver, not sure what its sending from the box but a steady stream of around 1mbit/sec, is any sky software engineers or any developers able to enlighten me, also its now got a few more ports open that it used to do, obviously not going to say what ports on here but if you want to contact me i'll tell you easily, is it all boxes that have wierdly downloaded a hacked firmware or something?

really? you think?
    damn those pesky russians.
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    And it took you 40GB of allowance to find out.......... I would have disconnected waaaaaaay before then!!
    Although he doesn't actually say this, the implication that I got from Pangaea's post was that the box was downloading data without his knowledge, and he hadn't been downloading stuff himself.
    If he had been surely he would have expected a big chunk of data to have been used, and it sounded like he didn't.
    If the boxes are downloading large amounts of stuff over the broadband connection without the owners' knowledge, that is indeed a cause for concern for anyone not on an unlimited connection!
    I have no evidence that my box has been doing that BTW.
    :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    If the boxes are downloading stuff over the broadband connection without the owners' knowledge, that is indeed a cause for concern for anyone not on an unlimited connection!

and this is why it's a good idea not to have series link for on demand content.
    it can easily go wrong due to the poor data provided by the channels.
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    and this is why it's a good idea not to have series link for on demand content.
    it can easily go wrong due to the poor data provided by the channels.
    Absolutely!
    :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    the reason I said about all sky boxes must of been hacked is because of the point that two completely unrelated boxes and different people have downloaded the same firmware from the DR stream from the satellite side, which is supposed to be fully secure and not hackable but yet both boxes seem affected, maybe other people haven't reported because they are unaware as yet or have phoned sky customer service but they don't know how to handle it on the phone
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the reason I said about all sky boxes must of been hacked is because of the point that two completely unrelated boxes and different people have downloaded the same firmware from the DR stream from the satellite side, which is supposed to be fully secure and not hackable but yet both boxes seem affected, maybe other people haven't reported because they are unaware as yet or have phoned sky customer service but they don't know how to handle it on the phone

that's quite a leap you've made there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the reason I said about all sky boxes must of been hacked is because of the point that two completely unrelated boxes

Really, you believe 2 unrelated instances suggests all?

What if 2 unrelated Ford Fiesta's get flat tyres, does that suggest that all Ford Fiesta's have faulty tyres?

I think you need more than 2 to make these assumptions, and trust me, there would be hundreds, if not thousands, saying it if it was the case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Although he doesn't actually say this, the implication that I got from Pangaea's post was that the box was downloading data without his knowledge, and he hadn't been downloading stuff himself.

I know all that, but if you are using it on a Mobile contract with limited usage (or any situation where you have limited usage), surely you would have checked your usage well before the warning e-mail, make sure nothing was amiss (or even just to see how much data it is using in general usage).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was unaware of the uploading till I traced by bandwidth usage back to my box, i wasn't downloading any on demand or had anything scheduled, so the question is still why is my sky box sending data out to a russian webserver, seems a bit odd and also if it was sky doing something i'm sure they would like to make their customers aware that it will be using the upstream bandwidth, its not downloading by the way its uploading as in sending data out from itself not receiving, i run a Internet Provider and have the tools to watch the connection closely and about the fiesta scenario, i'd agree if it was mechanical but flat tire is just random acts, but with software on a sky box, the randomness is removed because the box must be instructed by somebody or software, not just doing things by itsself as thats not possible
  • Options
    Forum Member
    right i've just been monitoring the connection and seems that the russian webserver is probing the sky box to see if its alive now that its powered down and is bombarding its IP address with keep alive requests from the russian webserver server directly to the sky box, if any sky techs need this to sort it out i can do a complete dump of the ip data from and to the box as i've got it monitored now so its anybody who wants to help the situation can see whats happening
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sounds more like you have someone probing YOUR connection and it just happens to be trying to get to your sky box.
    as you "run an ISP" i suggest you improve your firewall.