Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 63)

Comments

• Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Excellent night for BBC last night both channels doing very well. I'm surprised BBC One aren't trying another comedy in SOAH's slot, it might not to as well but it'll still be helped by that strong schedule. Something like Matt Lucas' Pompidou which seems like it would fit better on a Sunday than a weeknight.

I knew Call the Midwife would bounce back this week, glad it's back above 9m, and that's Last Tango's highest episode, narrowly beating episode two of the second series which got 6.30m/27.6%. The share was still lower though given it's now airing on a busier night.

Officials for last Sunday:
    18:30 - Countryfile - 7.10m (+0.09m)
    19:30 - Still Open All Hours - 7.62m (+0.50m)
    20:00 - Call the Midwife - 10.15m (+1.84m)
    21:00 - Last Tango in Halifax - 7.56m (+1.32m)

(Foyle's War didn't make the HD top 10.)

That timeshift is bigger than all but one last year (not including Christmas) but I can't help but be disappointed by that Call the Midwife rating, still a great rating but not up to its usual standards, not for this early in the series anyway. Last Tango just short of its previous high, 7.60m for the episode mentioned above.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Old Today, 15:03 #1
    marke09
    Forum Member

Classic Comedy on BBC2 afternoons
    Just seen a trailer for these classic comedies that start next Monday 2 Feb

3.40pm Open All Hours
    4.10 To The Manor Born
    4.35 Hi De Hi

great to see Hi De Hi back on our screens
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Broadcast is reporting that Gary Lineker is in ''serious'' talks to front BT Sport's Champions League coverage next season but any deal would allow him continuing to work for the BBC as well.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent night for BBC last night both channels doing very well. I'm surprised BBC One aren't trying another comedy in SOAH's slot, it might not to as well but it'll still be helped by that strong schedule. Something like Matt Lucas' Pompidou which seems like it would fit better on a Sunday than a weeknight.

I knew Call the Midwife would bounce back this week, glad it's back above 9m, and that's Last Tango's highest episode, narrowly beating episode two of the second series which got 6.30m/27.6%. The share was still lower though given it's now airing on a busier night.

That timeshift is bigger than all but one last year (not including Christmas) but I can't help but be disappointed by that Call the Midwife rating, still a great rating but not up to its usual standards, not for this early in the series anyway. Last Tango just short of its previous high, 7.60m for the episode mentioned above.
    Call The Midwife got its biggest timeshifts for series 1. Surprised they haven't matched that in later series while Silent Witness and Death In Paradise saw theirs grow in successive series. Still Open does not add much. I'm surprised how low its timeshifts are.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Last night's should comfortably knock Broadchurch with its 10.3m official off the top of the 2015 chart once its consolidated number is out next Monday.

SOAH got an overnight last night higher than the previous week's consolidated so that should get to about 8.4m.

Wonder how Count Arthur might have done if they had held it back for launch in the SOAH slot next week?

Peter Kay's Car Share might have worked there too. It's not like they've not had time to think up the perfect slot....
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CBBs week incl +1:

Monday- 3.08m
    Tuesday- 2.91m
    Wednesday- 3.06m
    Thursday- 3.08m
    Friday- 3.34m
    Saturday- 3.00m
    Sunday- 3.71m

Week average- 3.17m.

Must add that the Sunday figure must be the first time a highlight show has beaten he launch since the last week of Big Brother 5 in 2004??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Broadcast is reporting that Gary Lineker is in ''serious'' talks to front BT Sport's Champions League coverage next season but any deal would allow him continuing to work for the BBC as well.

I thought his tweet about ITV's "transfer window activity" re Pougatch on Friday was interesting and "knowing". Like someone itching to say more. If, as seems likely, ITV snatch the PL highlights then I can't see him staying at the BBC to front occasional FA Cup ties.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    10,000BC may do better then most of ITV these days.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FA Cup TV Replays:

Tuesday 3rd Feb
    Man Utd v Cambridge (7:45pm) BT Sport

Wednesday 4th Feb
    Bolton v Liverpool (7:45pm) BBC One
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    10,000BC may do better then most of ITV these days.
    No chance of that at 10pm. It has plenty to prove, not least that it's any good.

I'm more interested in the upcoming launch of NCIS: New Orleans. Could it launch as well as Gotham?
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Dominic Littlewood going to be the latest in a long line of BBC presenters to have a ratings disaster on ITV?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    Is Dominic Littlewood going to be the latest in a long line of BBC presenters to have a ratings disaster on ITV?

I actually think this could buck the flop zone trend. Dodgy builders shows do pull in viewers. This one seems to combine the best of Rogue Traders and Changing Rooms, with a hint of Challenge Anneka.

Cutting edge stuff this from ITV.

(They'll be commissioning documentaries about airports next....)
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    JordyD wrote: »

It's pretty much the exact same show as he does for C5. I think it might do ok, similar to how that Garden makeover show with Titchmarsh does as both BBC 2 and C4 have some of their weaker formats in the slot. The last series of The Fixer was pulled iirc
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought his tweet about ITV's "transfer window activity" re Pougatch on Friday was interesting and "knowing". Like someone itching to say more. If, as seems likely, ITV snatch the PL highlights then I can't see him staying at the BBC to front occasional FA Cup ties.

Why does it seem likely ITV will take the PL highlights? Have they 100% actually bid for them?
  • Options
    LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great night for BBC last night, the less said about ITV the better :D
  • Options
    ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Why does it seem likely ITV will take the PL highlights? Have they 100% actually bid for them?

Well, they much much deeper pockets than the BBC and they really need some football. I think they'd be much better off buying live sport though. They'd be slated every week for their MOTD replacement, whatever they did. People will hate the adverts.

And if they expect to get the sort of ratings that the BBC gets for MOTD, I think they'd be wrong. I mean, look at the FA Cup fourth round highlights.

Last year, ITV including +1: 1.82m
    This year, BBC: 4.28m
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He did stay with them last time they lost the highlights - they will still have the FA Cup, Euro championships and World Cup.Why is it likely ITV will snatch the highlights ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He did stay with them last time they lost the highlights - they will still have the FA Cup, Euro championships and World Cup.Why is it likely ITV will snatch the highlights ? They made a terrible mess of it last time.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He did stay with them last time they lost the highlights - they will still have the FA Cup, Euro championships and World Cup.Why is it likely ITV will snatch the highlights ?

yes, he said, at the very end of BBC1's MotD that covered PL, "We'll see you after the break!"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ronant wrote: »
    Well, they much much deeper pockets than the BBC and they really need some football. I think they'd be much better off buying live sport though. They'd be slated every week for their MOTD replacement, whatever they did. People will hate the adverts.

And if they expect to get the sort of ratings that the BBC gets for MOTD, I think they'd be wrong. I mean, look at the FA Cup fourth round highlights.

Last year, ITV including +1: 1.82m
    This year, BBC: 4.28m
    A bit of a crude comparison if we accept that shock results drive interest in these highlights programmes. And we had a multitude of those on Saturday.

The biggest shock in the fourth round last year was probably Fulham being beaten at home by Sheffield United, but given they were in the relegation zone at the time that was nowhere near as big a surprise as Chelsea's 4-2 defeat at the weekend, amongst others. And most if not all of the other results went the way you'd expect.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member

Those are great officials for all Sunday programs. Nice to see CTM still over 10m as there did seem to be some doubt about that. Anybody like to speculate why SOAH is gaining viewers across the series?
  • Options
    ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    A bit of a crude comparison if we accept that shock results drive interest in these highlights programmes. And we had a multitude of those on Saturday.

The biggest shock in the fourth round last year was probably Fulham being beaten at home by Sheffield United, but given they were in the relegation zone at the time that was nowhere near as big a surprise as Chelsea's 4-2 defeat at the weekend, amongst others. And most if not all of the other results went the way you'd expect.

Maybe, but BBC One's show would never have been as low as 1.82m, even if every match was 0-0. Absolutely no chance. And ITV would never have got 4.28m, not even with the crazy results we had on Saturday.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He did stay with them last time they lost the highlights - they will still have the FA Cup, Euro championships and World Cup.Why is it likely ITV will snatch the highlights ? They made a terrible mess of it last time.
    wizzywick wrote: »
    yes, he said, at the very end of BBC1's MotD that covered PL, "We'll see you after the break!"

And when they returned Lineker said, "Now where were we?"
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    And when they returned
    Lineker said, "Now where were we?"

Yes iirc he also added "now where were we... Before we were so rudely interrupted":D

After thinking about it I do suspect the dropping of Chiles (just a few months into his new contract) and Townsend may have been to add credibility to their Premier league highlights bid. Their biggest problem is the amount of adverts they'll need to run.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Overnight Roundup: Sunday, January 25

BBC One
    13:15 Match of the Day Live: Bristol City v West Ham: 3.37m (28%)
    17:10 Nature's Boldest Thieves: 3.25m (18%)
    18:00 BBC News: 6.36m (31%)
    18:30 Countryfile: 7.62m (35.1%)
    19:30 Still Open All Hours: 7.85m (34.1%)
    20:00 Call the Midwife: 9.04m (34.1%)
    21:00 Last Tango in Halifax: 6.32m (25.8%)
    22:00 BBC News at Ten: 5.50m (30%)
    22:30 Match of the Day: 2.43m (19.8%)

BBC Two
    18:00 Movie Premiere: Real Steel: 1.35m (6.2%)
    20:00 New Series: Top Gear: 5.28m (20.2%)
    21:00 New Series: Dragons' Den: 2.35m (9.6%)

ITV (inc. +1)
    19:00 Get Your Act Together: 2.60m
    20:15 New Series: All Star Family Fortunes: 2.67m
    21:00 New Series: Mr Selfridge: 3.75m

Channel 4 (inc. +1)
    19:00 Phil Spencer: Secret Agent: 1.12m
    20:00 The Hotel: 1.28m
    21:00 Walking the Nile: 2.10m

Channel 5 (inc. +1)
    19:00 Bulletproof Monk: 841k
    21:00 Celebrity Big Brother: 2.78m
    22:00 Movie Premiere: The Darkest Hour: 828k

BBC Three
    19:30 The Voice UK: 601k (2.4%)

BBC News
    08:00 Breakfast: 542k (10.7%)

ITV2 (inc. +1)
    15:35 E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial: 629k (4.0%)
    19:35 The Mummy: 535k (2.1%)
    22:00 The Hangover: 564k (4.6%)

E4 (inc. +1)
    17:00 The Big Bang Theory: 538k (3.1%)
    19:00 The Big Bang Theory: 637k (2.9%)
    19:30 The Big Bang Theory: 554k (2.4%)

More4 (inc. +1)
    16:45 Four in a Bed: 523k (3.2%)

BT Sport 1
    15:30 Live FA Cup Football: Brighton & Hove v Arsenal: 676k (4.0%)

Sources: Digital Spy, ITV Media.
This discussion has been closed.