anyone from Exeter here?

MurraymarMurraymar Posts: 4,992
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm going over there next week and I was wondering what I should go and visit.

Thanks

Comments

• bob187bob187 Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can visit my Nan if you want.
    She's senile, so probably wont realise it's not me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not from Exeter, but I used to live there. The Cathedral is nice, as is much of the centre - but to be honest its so small that you may as well just wander around - you'll find all the interesting stuff pretty quickly.

The maritime museum might be worth a visit if boats, er, float your boat...
  • MurraymarMurraymar Posts: 4,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not far off here in Plymouth.

This is worth a visit: http://www.showcaves.com/english/gb/misc/Exeter.html

Come down to Plymouth, 45min drive!
  • orangesmartieorangesmartie Posts: 3,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in torquay, so can't advise about Exeter so much, but there is the zoo at Paignton and living coasts in Torquay (with penguins) which is easily accessible on the train.

If you drive there's woodlands close by.

Depends what you're interested in really.
  • MurraymarMurraymar Posts: 4,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the local knowledge lads. I'll be there for four days with exeter as my base so I'll check out those spots.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bob187 wrote: »
    You can visit my Nan if you want.
    She's senile, so probably wont realise it's not me.

Contender for best answer of the week - made me LOL!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    Cathedral, underground passages, quayside (great for a beer or a coffee on a sunny day), you could hire a bicycle or a canoe from 'Saddles and Paddles' on the quayside and go down the canal on it (its a lovely trip and there's a pub at the end), get the train for a few quid down to Exmouth to see the sea. There's also Halden Forest Park out of town where they have a 'Go Ape' treetop adventure thing or you can do cycling or walking trails. Crealy Adventure Park if you've got kids or are a big kid yourself!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    I live in exmouth. about 15 minutes drive from exeter, thats defintly worth a visit :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 470
    Forum Member
    Hello! Exeter girl here, at your service.
    What sort of things are you looking for?
    The cathedrals okay, nothing to write home about but nice for a stroll at lunchtime.
    If the weathers nice go down to the quay (take some bread for the ducks and swans :) ) and maybe get a cream tea but they charge a lot for them for some reason. While you're down at the quayside check out the little shops, a whole row of Alladins cave kinda places and some really amazing furniture shops down the end.

The nightlife is pretty bleak to be honest, but Timepiece has interesting nights downstairs (salsa and sangria on tuesdays, people just dance around in the bar, its a good atmosphere) and Firehouse is a really amazing bar just down the road from the old Debenhams tower, £5 bottles of wine, candles in wine bottles and church like features, really special :)

If you're into shopping then the new Princesshay area is pretty cool, and the best restaraunt is Harrys, awesome food and its pretty cheap too. They have two venues, the restaraunt and the grill bar, both are amazing and the menus are online if you google it.

Anything else? :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 470
    Forum Member
    oh and check out the Firehouse pizzas as they are amazing and only cost about £6 for a 16" x 16" square pizza! Amazing!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All of my favourite things there have already been mentioned above .
    But I like Cathedral Yard for people watching while you lay on the grass, shopping in the High Street rather than the new centre. The Underground passages, The museum ( But that's shut for a bit).
    Chaucers pub is good at lunchtime, quite dark to read a menu though :)
    Hiring a canoe at Saddles and paddles was another good suggestion from someone above, I think the pub you can get to is called the Double Locks, easy to park your canoe and get a drink even when you're soaked.
    Crealy Adventure park is nearby if you have children with you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    I live in torquay, so can't advise about Exeter so much, but there is the zoo at Paignton and living coasts in Torquay (with penguins) which is easily accessible on the train.

If you drive there's woodlands close by.

Depends what you're interested in really.

I live in torquay too. Not sure about places in plymouth and Exeter but in Torquay we have a useless £14 a go helium ballon you can go up in and and lots of closed pubs and shops to vist.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Torquay? You poor dears...
  • brillopadbrillopad Posts: 3,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amiga wrote: »
    I live in torquay too. Not sure about places in plymouth and Exeter but in Torquay we have a useless £14 a go helium ballon you can go up in and and lots of closed pubs and shops to vist.

I've been up 3 times for a go in the useless balloon which has yet to lift off - the Living Coasts is quite nice though.