Options

Roxy Music

2»

Comments

• Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    As you like Roxy Music, you must like Bryan Ferry. I recommend you have a listen to his album Dylanesque.

Love it:):)

Bryan is undoubtedly a great interpreter of other people's songs but give me his original work anytime. As a songwriter in his own right he's easily up there with the best of them. He's unarguably one of the finest lyricists this country has produced :cool:
  • Options
    mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's strange how Roxy seemed to improve even more when Eddie Jobson replaced Eno, who was a vital part of the band's early phase. I liked the experimental element Eno added, but I find the Eno-less Stranded, Country Life and Siren more complete albums than the first two.

I think they remained just as experimental after Eno left. There's so much going on on their albums! I think a track like 'Streetlife' shows how 'arty' they were, despite Eno having left. Im astounded that 'Country Life' (or 'Stranded') dont feature on more on 'best rock album lists'! But the fat they were seen as an 'art' rock group is probably the answer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mr muggles wrote: »
    I think they remained just as experimental after Eno left. There's so much going on on their albums! I think a track like 'Streetlife' shows how 'arty' they were, despite Eno having left. Im astounded that 'Country Life' (or 'Stranded') dont feature on more on 'best rock album lists'! But the fat they were seen as an 'art' rock group is probably the answer.

The thing with Roxy is that no two albums sounded alike. They were constantly pushing their sound along. Listen to Siren now, for example, and hear how the music we take for granted these days was being shaped. Ladies & Gendlemen, Roxy were mashing up slow disco with synthpop in 1975! Both Ends Burning :cool:
  • Options
    mr. mustardmr. mustard Posts: 48,888
    Forum Member
    mr muggles wrote: »
    Im astounded that 'Country Life' (or 'Stranded') dont feature on more on 'best rock album lists'! But the fat they were seen as an 'art' rock group is probably the answer.
    Yeah, Stranded is up there with Ziggy Stargust for me. It's a seminal 70s album.

I'm glad posters have praised Siren here, it's an underrated release. I love the cover too, Jerry Hall in that blue-clifftopped landscape.
  • Options
    essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,210
    Forum Member
    Yeah, Stranded is up there with Ziggy Stargust for me. It's a seminal 70s album.

I'm glad posters have praised Siren here, it's an underrated release. I love the cover too, Jerry Hall in that blue-clifftopped landscape.
    I'd go along with that.Both Ends Burning is ok, but IMO Could It Happen To Me? would have been a better second single off the album
  • Options
    ProgRockerProgRocker Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterday I was listening to Matthew Bannister on Radio 2. Before he played his next song, he announced that it was his favourite song of all time.

Then he played 'Virginia Plain' :cool: Respect to the guy :)

I have just acquired the 'Stranded' album. I love 'Street life' & 'Mother of Pearl' from that album. :cool:
  • Options
    mr. mustardmr. mustard Posts: 48,888
    Forum Member
    essexpete wrote: »
    I'd go along with that.Both Ends Burning is ok, but IMO Could It Happen To Me? would have been a better second single off the album
    Could It Happen To Me? is a great ballad. It would have been a good single, I agree :)
    ProgRocker wrote: »
    I have just acquired the 'Stranded' album. I love 'Street life' & 'Mother of Pearl' from that album. :cool:
    Well done Prog :cool: My favourite track is A Song For Europe, but they're all brilliant. I love Amazona and Just Like You as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Surpised Bryan didnt do a song where he sang in Italian on Siren, could have followed A Song For Europe and Bitter Sweet
  • Options
    Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Roxy's earlier stuff best. I mean tracks like The Strand, Street Life, All I Want is You and both Ends Burning. I also liked The Same Old Scene and More Than This. I didn't like Love is the Drug or Oh Yeah. I loved Dance Away at the time but have become a bit bored with it as it has been overplayed subsequently.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    I was introduced to Roxy Music while watching Flashbacks of a Fool a couple of weeks ago and again last night. If There Is Something was played in the film.

Any songs you recommend?
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ProgRocker wrote: »
    Any fans of Roxy Music on here?

Not a hardcore fan but they were good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw them a couple of times in the Eno days and they were good but to be honest they were never the best live band around. When I saw them about the time of Stranded it was embarassing frankly when the Welsh Male Choir came on stage. I did think Eddie Jobson gave them a new lease of life though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mimicole wrote: »
    I was introduced to Roxy Music while watching Flashbacks of a Fool a couple of weeks ago and again last night. If There Is Something was played in the film.

Any songs you recommend?

The first five albums are absolute 'must-haves'. If There Is Something is on the first album. Can't express how much I love that song.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnV-agq0Yzw

Lift up your feet and put them on the ground
    You used to walk upon when you were young
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Roxy 2-part documentary starting Monday night on Radio 2 narrated by Jarvis Cocker
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    essexpete wrote: »
    Roxy 2-part documentary starting Monday night on Radio 2 narrated by Jarvis Cocker

cheers m8! And with Jarvis on dictation - lush!:D
  • Options
    The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    Surprised that nobody has mentioned Viva Roxy Music, which is an absolutely wonderful live album. The live version of 'If there is Something' and 'In every dreamhome a heartache' are sublime. One of my favourite live albums of all time.

As for Roxy themselves, I only really like the 5 studio albums before the split. Not too keen on the lounge lizard stuff of the 80s. Bought the reunion concert dvd and cd recently, and was pleased at how well they performed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Also a feature on RM in the current Uncut magazine with Bryan and co. on the cover
  • Options
    Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brian Ferry is sex on legs. Especially in the Jealous Guy and More Than This videos.
  • Options
    ProgRockerProgRocker Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Part 1 of the Radio 2 documentary is here

:cool::cool::cool:

PS: However great is 'Ladytron' ? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just reading thru this thread again, got me thinking about his solo output...
    The album 'lets stick together' is my favourite of the solo stuff. I love the reworkings he did of 2hb & Casanova. He turned Casanova into a completely different type of song. But my all time fav solo song (apart from 'slave'), is 'Love Me Madly' - blows me everytime I hear it and the strings/cello breakdown on the second half of the song is brilliant! The album its taken from is a bit hit n miss though, its like he couldnt decide to go disco or Al Green & ended in abit of a sonic muddle (apart from Tokyo Joe;))

Im also one of those that love both eras of Roxy. Its ALL good!:D