Options

The writers overruled by Phil.

Polly_PerkinsPolly_Perkins Posts: 21,751
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Overruled is probably the wrong word, or perhaps not. But it was interesting to read that the majority of the writers didnt initially buy into the tram crash and instead felt it should be a low key 50th, more nostalgic.

Thats how I always anticipated the 50th but I think Phil made the right choice.

It would be easy to have Ken chatting about the goold old days but this was fat more memorable.

Good call?

Comments

• Options
    ::Adam::::Adam:: Posts: 7,223
    Forum Member
    I think what Phil did was the best thing really - i mean, the event will be remembered for ages - it gave us an amazing week of television too - with just having Ken make a speech - it would of been too random and forgotton within a week IMO.
  • Options
    gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think nostalgia worked for the 40th and might work for the 60th, but the 50th needed something big and dramatic.
  • Options
    David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The programme had gotten into a bad rut over the last couple of years. They needed something bold and dramatic to announce the arrival of a new era. I think its worked out very well.

Now if only "Phil" would cut the number of episodes per week down to three again.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Besides, there were nostalgic moments scattered across the last few months.
  • Options
    JJAMUFCJJAMUFC Posts: 1,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil made the right choice, a low key 50th wouldn't have been right for a show the size of Corrie - the way he did it let them show off everything that is great about it, from comedy right through to drama and it allows them to have a lasting effect on each story well into the future.
  • Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    The tram crash also provides repurcussions and future storylines for a good time to come.
  • Options
    PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The programme had gotten into a bad rut over the last couple of years. They needed something bold and dramatic to announce the arrival of a new era. I think its worked out very well.

Now if only "Phil" would cut the number of episodes per week down to three again.:D
    Unfortunately that's down to ITV, I once emailed Corrie to say I hated the scheduling of the Thursday episode, and they mentioned (not outright though) that they werent happy with it either
  • Options
    Peter30Peter30 Posts: 5,848
    Forum Member
    I definitely agree with the decision. A nostalgic series of episodes would have seemed very contrived, as has been said many times, the characters don't know that it's the anniversary of anything.

And a disaster of that scale does bring a community together. When we heard that the disaster would be secondary to the character driven scenes and stories this week, I'm sure most of us went "yeah, ok, whatever," but it was so true.
  • Options
    valtimmyvaltimmy Posts: 7,158
    Forum Member

Why cut them down? I love Corrie. What I would like though is that they were on everyday for the 5 eps (Like Emmerdale) and not double eps on Mondays and Fridays.
  • Options
    MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valtimmy wrote: »
    Why cut them down? I love Corrie. What I would like though is that they were on everyday for the 5 eps (Like Emmerdale) and not double eps on Mondays and Fridays.

But the writers are more accustomed to scripting two parters these days. The Monday and Friday episodes are usually much better quality and more eventful than the Thursday.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    Good call?

Totally, I was really dubious about celebrating the anniversary with a tragedy - I hate to see characters I care about face dreadful things - but I think this last week has been a masterstroke and I can't wait for tomorrow to find out what happens next. I love the way it's brought characters together and allowed some heroic actions. I even like Nick a whole lot better, we've seen him behave in a very human way.
  • Options
    blue_cobaltblue_cobalt Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Philth Mitchell thinks he owns everyone :mad: