Options

sky offer half price movies

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 416
Forum Member
quite a good offer for all new and existing customers.....half price movies for 6 months.......thats £8 a month .

Pretty good offer i'd say, and it will see you over the festive period

Comments

• Options
    ShaunWShaunW Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even better if you box is on the net, a proper video store in your living room compared to Netflix and Lovefilm.

:D
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    quite a good offer for all new and existing customers.....half price movies for 6 months.......thats £8 a month .
    Where is this offer being advertised? I don't see it on sky.com.
  • Options
    Tom123Tom123 Posts: 1,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can only see an offer for new customers
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    Where is this offer being advertised? I don't see it on sky.com.

I was just wondering that... The only one I've seen advertised on telly was for 3 months and that was a few weeks back...

ETA: it's on the Sky site: https://buy.sky.com/movies-upgrades/
    "Fast & easy Sky Movies upgrade

Half price Sky Movies for 6 months"
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ShaunW wrote: »
    Even better if you box is on the net, a proper video store in your living room compared to Netflix and Lovefilm.

:D
    Still a rip off and Netflix (with Unblock US) and Lovefilm are much better value.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have 10% off my EE+ package for 12 months, will taking Sky movies half price for 6 months effect my current discount.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jono t wrote: »
    I have 10% off my EE+ package for 12 months, will taking Sky movies half price for 6 months effect my current discount.

It'll probably be quicker to just phone them and ask
  • Options
    len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I followed the link but can't find the offer just some page saying I already have Sky Movies ?
  • Options
    rtavy73rtavy73 Posts: 439
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the heads up been waiting for this offer, always take the 6 months half price movies well worth £8 :cool:
  • Options
    DevoidDroidDevoidDroid Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    Sounds like a good deal for 6 months, currently on EE+ too, I assume this means we wouldn't get the HD channels though without the separate HD bundle.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    len112 wrote: »
    I followed the link but can't find the offer just some page saying I already have Sky Movies ?

The offer is a available to new and existing customers (but who dont currently have the movies service).
  • Options
    ShaunWShaunW Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still a rip off and Netflix (with Unblock US) and Lovefilm are much better value.

Disagree, subscribed to both and used US site for Neflix, was not impressed, Sky Movies on demand had more content, guaranteed Dolby Digital sound and 3D movies thrown in all for £2 per month extra or cheaper if you subscribe to both services you mention.

Of course Sky Movies is a premium add on to my Sky package, hence the value to me. Those just wanting movies and No Sky TV would be better of with Netflix, Amazon or Now TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disagree, subscribed to both and used US site for Neflix, was not impressed, Sky Movies on demand had more content, guaranteed Dolby Digital sound and 3D movies thrown in all for £2 per month extra or cheaper if you subscribe to both services you mention.

Of course Sky Movies is a premium add on to my Sky package, hence the value to me. Those just wanting movies and No Sky TV would be better of with Netflix, Amazon or Now TV.
    US site? So you didn't check the Canadian, Swedish, Mexican etc versions of Netflix? Much better than Sky Movies and Movies appear long before they appear on Sky Movies. Netflix also offers full HD which is better than the 1080i offered on Sky and most titles are in Dolby Digital. Lovefilm also does Blu rays by post. Again much better picture quality and sound and more recent Movies available.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    US site? So you didn't check the Canadian, Swedish, Mexican etc versions of Netflix? Much better than Sky Movies and Movies appear long before they appear on Sky Movies. Netflix also offers full HD which is better than the 1080i offered on Sky and most titles are in Dolby Digital. Lovefilm also does Blu rays by post. Again much better picture quality and sound and more recent Movies available.
    I think you being extremely generous to both Netflix and Lovefilm! While Sky Movies is not (to me!) worth £16/month at £8 it's a bargain. Also the Sky "pregressive download" system beats streaming any day!

You have seen this by the way?
    http://community.spotify.com/t5/Social-Off-Topic/Netflix-Full-HD-isn-t-Full-HD/td-p/178328
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you being extremely generous to both Netflix and Lovefilm! While Sky Movies is not (to me!) worth £16/month at £8 it's a bargain. Also the Sky "pregressive download" system beats streaming any day!

You have seen this by the way?
    http://community.spotify.com/t5/Social-Off-Topic/Netflix-Full-HD-isn-t-Full-HD/td-p/178328
    Am I? So Sky can give me Box sets of TV shows and films that have recently been released on Blu Ray most of which is in HD all for under £16 a month? The cheapest package on Sky with HD is £32 a month. And by the way that bloke on the forum is talking nonsense. Of course nothing beats Blu Ray quality but HD is certainly better on Netflix than on Sky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Am I? So Sky can give me Box sets of TV shows and films that have recently been released on Blu Ray most of which is in HD all for under £16 a month? The cheapest package on Sky with HD is £32 a month. And by the way that bloke on the forum is talking nonsense. Of course nothing beats Blu Ray quality but HD is certainly better on Netflix than on Sky.
    I don't see how that can be remotely possible for a streaming service so I choose to believe the article I posted!

Most of us on THIS (the Sky!!) forum are ALREADY paying Sky for something... so *FOR US* it is only £8 extra. And well worth it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see how that can be remotely possible for a streaming service so I choose to believe the article I posted!

Most of us on THIS (the Sky!!) forum are ALREADY paying Sky for something... so *FOR US* it is only £8 extra. And well worth it!
    How can it not be possible for a streaming service? How about looking up other reviews that contradict that article.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky Movies Christmas

Iron Man 3 & Wreck it Ralph.

Just finished 3 months Sky Movies & Sports for £10pm...this 6 month came up for half price so took the option, did it via Top Cash Back, so hopefully £30.00 back from them as well.

Never had to pay full price for movies/sports with Sky in 3 years, as they always phone up with offers for half price deals or better. Though you have to be prepared to cancel the services when your offers run out, but they soon phone back offering you deals.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sorry i disagree Netflix combined with a smart DNS has way more content than Sky and newer movies.
    Sky need to pull their finger out as Netflix aren't to be taken lightly.
    Also Netflix are now doing Super Hd which is 1080p.
    On the otherhand for somebody who doesn't know how to use smart dns or has Sky tv anyway and is looking for movies over the christmas period then this Skymovies half price is a good deal.
    Win win either way imo.
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    gother wrote: »
    Also Netflix are now doing Super Hd which is 1080p.
    I don't see what's so "super" about that, unless it's 24p, which is the native frame rate for movies of course.
    :)
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    Sorry i disagree Netflix combined with a smart DNS has way more content than Sky and newer movies.
    Sky need to pull their finger out as Netflix aren't to be taken lightly.

Surely Sky are competing against the UK version of NEtflix, not versions from around the world?

While a few might know how to watch other streams from other countries, your basic user will not, that is the user that Sky are targetting.

After all, those that can watch from other Countries would probably know "other" ways to watch stuff anyway, and would find other ways if Netflix didn't exist, rather than pay Sky.
  • Options
    Young TurksYoung Turks Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if you already have a package and upgrading to movies cost only £8 it is a great deal. A few weeks ago during the half term my wife took our little one to cinema and I think it cost them about £17.00

Also unless you go to IMAX or 3D movie, Sky HD offers much better picture quality than normal SD cinema movie.

Since watching Dark Knight Rises in IMAX I have not been to cinema because I can’t justify paying for poor picture quality, unless it is in IMAX or 3D, I am happy to wait until it comes to Blu ray or Sky HD.

So overall sky movies is much cheaper than going to cinema with better picture quality but having said that if only they start showing 5 or more Premieres a week as it used to be.

We used to get 5 new movies a week but now only 4, so this is 52 less premieres a year! Instead of reducing number of new movies they should increase if they really want to compete with Netflix and Lovefilm.

Because unless you have a special offer, full price for only 4 premieres a week, is lot of money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely Sky are competing against the UK version of NEtflix, not versions from around the world?

While a few might know how to watch other streams from other countries, your basic user will not, that is the user that Sky are targetting.

After all, those that can watch from other Countries would probably know "other" ways to watch stuff anyway, and would find other ways if Netflix didn't exist, rather than pay Sky.

I personally have Sky movies (got one of those 12 month half price deals) and Netflix but being a movie lover for me this combination is perfect.
    I have no doubt Netflix will be a serious threat to Sky when the movie rights are up for renewal but if we take away the smart DNS. Then yes for the £8p/m extra Sky movies certainly is great value. As i said in my previous post it's a win win either way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    I don't see what's so "super" about that, unless it's 24p, which is the native frame rate for movies of course.
    :)

Very true , this don't effect me either way as my tv is only 720p lol.
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member

What's not remotely possible, a streaming service providing high quality HD?

Netflix stream 1080p, providing you have a good connection the PQ can surpass that of Sky on certain content.

If you don't think that's possible you're going think the next statement impossible - Netflix are reported to be delivering 4k next year.

Surely progressive downloads only benefit the viewer as it won't let the viewer start watching until enough content has been downloaded to avoid buffering, how does that have an affect on PQ? A 6Gb movie should look the same on Sky/Netflix, providing you have a good speed for Netflix Super HD streaming.