Options

Is it "okay" for a straight man to distinguish good looks on other men?

FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
Forum Member
A bit of a touchy subject that may completely backfire, but hey^_^

If you're a shallow person or not, we all subconsciously think of how someone looks on the outside before we talk to them. I do this all the time with both genders, because that's just how our brains work.

I'm a straight male, but when another guy walks in, I do exactly the same thing as I do for girls, distinguishing whether they are good looking or not. I have a large group of guy friends; some of them are exactly like me, some of them comment on a guys' looks just because it's normal to them. I have family members like this too. But then the other half of my group are quite the opposite. They think that all guys look the same, boys are boys and it just skips their mind.

And for those who do comment on a guys looks, the people around them instantly think, "you're gay", because somehow, in 2015, there's still this huge divide between straight & LGBT.

I guess I was just superstitious, do you think it's okay for a straight guy to freely comment on whether a guy is good looking or not? Or does it "damage your masculinity(:confused:)"?

Comments

• Options
    Danny_SilverDanny_Silver Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course it's okay.

But I think you are Bisexual Firegazer.:)
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    You can appreciate another male's handsome attributes yes. <sucks in gut and spreads hair across receding parts>
  • Options
    VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're eyeing up the competition, completely natural.
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes yes.

Everyone judges others on their looks at least some of the time. Women do it with other women, men do it with women and women do it with men. Its fine and normal.

If you do it with everyone you see, that might be less normal (irrespective of the genders involved). Its possible that we do it all the time subconsciously though.
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I'm straighter than a ruler, but I think I can discern what women find attractive about Colin Farrell for example, he's a nice looking guy, as is say, Robert Redford still is for older ladies.
    Bradley Cooper, Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, they all have that certain je ne sais quoi, they hold no attraction for me, but the ladies, quite naturally, love 'em.
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    I can recognise and appreciate a person's attractiveness, including men, even though I'm a heterosexual male. For example, Jamie Redknapp is an attractive guy. And Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister from Game of Thrones). In fact, staying with Game of Thrones, Peter Dinklage, while a great actor and is great as Tyrion Lannister, he's too handsome for the role.

You can find a person attractive while not being attracted to them. I get that with women. There are women who I wouldn't want anything to happen with, either for some reason or simply because I'm not interested while I still find them attractive. I have female cousins who I think are nice looking but I have no desire for them. So if I'm like that with women then it can happen with men, with the only difference being that I'll never have any interest in men regardless of how attractive they actually are.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All men have opinions as to whom ideally they would like to look like, if they didn't look like themselves. And equally strong views on whom they would not like to resemble, which is the other side of the same coin.

Even your mates currently in denial.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would it not be 'okay'?
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once got told I had a big penis by a man in the urinal next to me
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hank1234 wrote: »

LOL

What did you say in response???
  • Options
    ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hank1234 wrote: »

are you sure he didn't say you are a big penis?
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizix wrote: »
    LOL

What did you say in response???

I just laughed and felt freaked out
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Yes. Why wouldn't it be.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you seriously not work this out for yourself?