Strictly Come Dancing: Fantasy Brought To Life - Show One

DingDong08DingDong08 Posts: 8,600
Forum Member
A very good afternoon to everyone watching and welcome to the first live show of Strictly Come Dancing: Fantasy Brought To Life! :)

On this fine Summer's day (well... :p), our nine couples will take to the floor for the first time with either a Cha Cha Cha or a Waltz in a bid to impress both the judges and you at home. However, even though there will be NO ELIMINATION this round, our couples still have to impress, as the scores and votes from this round will be carried over to next week's show. So, shall we meet them? ;-)

Please welcome the stars of our show:
Alice Perkins & Robin Windsor
James Phelps & Natalie Lowe
Kellie Bright & Ian Waite
Lea Michele & Pasha Kovalev
Maddy Hill & Kevin Clifton
Marc Baylis & Janette Manrara
Pixie Lott & Brendan Cole
Sheila Hancock & Anton du Beke
Suzannah Lipscomb & Aljaz Skorjanec

And, of course, let's not forget to welcome our wonderful judging panel: Craig Revel Horwood, Darcey Bussell, Len Goodman and Bruno Tonioli!

Opening the show and the series with a Cha Cha Cha are Kellie & Ian! :)

Comments

• DingDong08DingDong08 Posts: 8,600
    Forum Member
    Training: Our first dance of the series is the Cha Cha, and I was initially a bit reluctant to ‘shake my maracas’, as Ian so tastefully put it. *laughs* But, as we’re getting closer to the first show, I’m actually starting to enjoy dancing it, even if I have learned that I have the stamina of about a 70-year-old! Still, I’m keeping my fingers crossed everything will go alright on the night – I’ll settle for beating Maddy, if nothing else!

Kellie & Ian dance a Cha Cha Cha to Brokenhearted by Karmin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8cbak34DR0).

Len’s Comment: Yum, yum, pig’s bum, that was good fun! You gave it a lot of wellie, Kellie, and, although there was that little stumble in the corner there, it was flat-out, full-on and a fantastic start to the series, so well done to you both!

Darcey’s Comment: Wow, Kellie – there was no stopping you out there! To have that much confidence on the first night is always a great sign. The one thing I would say is that some of your arm extensions could’ve been a little bit sharper, but, on the whole, you did a great job.

Craig: 6
    Darcey: 7
    Len: 6
    Bruno: 6

Total: 25/40

Up next today with a Waltz are James & Natalie! :)
    Forum Member
    Training: Natalie and I will be dancing the Waltz as our first dance, and it’s all far too technical for my liking. I have to watch my posture, my frame, and something called ‘gapping’, whatever that is, as well as all the footwork, which is proving quite tricky to remember. Though, in all fairness, I should’ve known what I was getting myself into signing up for a ballroom dancing show. *laughs* It’s not all so bad, but there’s still quite a way to go before the first show!

James & Natalie dance a Waltz to Visions by Cliff Richard (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne-Hwg9fak4).

Craig’s Comment: You really need to watch your neckline, as it has an odd tendency to drop far more to the left that it should, and your arms apparently have paddles on the ends of them, which really took away any drops of emotion that could be found in that dance.

Len’s Comment: Hang on a second, Craig – he’s only been dancing for a couple of weeks, you finicky sod. Yes, your neckline does need work, but your footwork was very good, as was your hold, and I for one felt the emotion of the dance. Don’t listen to him, James, you did well!

Craig: 4
    Darcey: 6
    Len: 7
    Bruno: 6

Total: 23/40

Third on the dancefloor with a Cha Cha Cha are Sheila & Anton! :)
    Forum Member
    Training: For the first show, I have to face the Cha Cha Cha, and, although I can’t say I’m jumping up and down in excitement about it, I will try my best! My problem with this dance is mainly down to these things *points at feet*, as they seem to try and go whichever direction they feel like and not the direction Anton wants them to, which can make things a bit frustrating. To be frank, though, as long as I live through the dance, then I’ll be happy!

Sheila & Anton dance a Cha Cha Cha to Nowhere To Run by Martha and The Vandellas (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABbc-O_3_Ac).

Bruno’s Comment: Oh, Sheila, my darling – you showed us class with a little bit of sass! In all seriousness, though, it wasn’t exactly the fastest dance we’ve ever seen, and yet you still managed to mess up a great deal of the steps! I do like you, but this could’ve gone much better.

Darcey’s Comment: Mmm, I do have to agree here. For a Cha Cha, it was awfully slow, though whether that was down to the music or the choreography I’m not sure. However, your hand placement was very nice, and you got into the character well, so well done for that.

Craig: 3
    Darcey: 5
    Bruno: 5

Total: 19/40

Bringing us our second Waltz of the round next are Maddy & Kevin! :)
    Forum Member
    Training: The wonderful Waltz – as Kevin has nicknamed it – will be our first dance of the competition, and I’d be lying if I said that I wasn’t head-over-heels in love with it. However, I have questioned Kevin about whether we’ve got enough in-hold, as there’s an awful lot of wafting and spinning away from him. Hopefully, the judges (and public!) like it, and we don’t get slaughtered too badly by Len for it…

Maddy & Kevin dance a Waltz to Cry by Faith Hill (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcGntdbDB5Q).

Len’s Comment: Look, I don’t want to be the party pooper here, but… Kevin, you only had twelve bars in hold, and you should know that that’s nowhere near enough. It was a very pretty dance, but I can’t call it a Waltz, I’m afraid.

Bruno’s Comment: You must be out of your mind! I’m sorry, but that was absolutely stunning! I swear, sometimes you wouldn’t know a good dance if it hit you on the head! Maddy, Kevin – it was a truly wonderful Waltz.

Craig: 7
    Len: 5
    Bruno: 8

Total: 27/40

A Cha Cha Cha is on the agenda next, courtesy of Suzannah & Aljaz! :)
    Forum Member
    Training: For our first dance, Aljaz and I will be dancing the Cha Cha Cha, and, to be honest, it’s really stressing me out! I love our song choice, and I’m slowly but surely picking up the steps, but the thought of stepping out and dancing in front of millions of people is not one I can see myself becoming comfortable with anytime soon! My only hope is that I can contain my nerves, because it could end up being a bit messy!

Suzannah & Aljaz dance a Cha Cha Cha to Xanadu by Olivia Newton-John (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m1UWSD-FaA).

Craig’s Comment: You looked like a rabbit in headlights throughout that, I’m afraid. It’s a bit of a shame, as you have so much potential and it did get squandered a bit tonight. However, your leg action was great, and the first half of the dance was very good on the whole.

Darcey’s Comment: Suzannah, may I just say that you look wonderful out here tonight? The fact that you’ve had no experience in the performing world makes this a whole lot harder, but you got through the routine and did a pretty good routine, so well done.

Craig: 5
    Darcey: 6

Total: 22/40

Our sixth couple of the show, with a Waltz, are Alice & Robin! :)
    Forum Member
    Training: For the first show, I’ve been handed the Waltz, and my only assumption is that someone saw my age at the last second and thought they’d be nice to me! *laughs* Having said that, I’m finding this dance a bit boring – it’s just a lot of stepping around, not really doing much, so it’s not really the best first dance in the world, but I’ll give it my best shot and we’ll see what happens, eh?

Alice & Robin dance a Waltz to If You Don't Know Me By Now by Simply Red (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTcu7MCtuTs).

Len’s Comment: To be honest, I was about as bored as you were while watching it. Robin, I appreciate she may not be the best dancer in the world, but you could’ve given her more to do that just stand there for half the blooming routine! It was nice, but too simple, I think.

Craig’s Comment: I’d say it was just plain bad, actually. You were clinging onto Robin for dear life, you barely did any steps in the dance and what you did dance were nearly all out of time. I can’t even say you tried too hard, because it was blatantly clear how dull you found it all.

Craig: 2
    Darcey: 5
    Len: 4

Total: 16/40

Lucky couple number seven are next - with a Cha Cha Cha, please welcome Lea & Pasha! :)
    Forum Member
    Training: For our first dance, we have the Cha Cha, and I’m loving it already! It’s far from a cake walk, I’ll happily admit that, but the challenge of learning how to ballroom dance is something I knew I’d have to conquer when signing up. And, to make matters even better, Pasha picked a Glee song to perform to, which makes me nervous and excited at the same time! Hopefully, I can do it justice on the night.

Lea & Pasha dance a Cha Cha Cha to Boogie Shoes from Glee (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6wZy4qpJhw).

Darcey’s Comment: I just want to wrap up all your energy into a little bundle and keep it with me for the rest of my life, I think! It’s evident how much you love being here, and you danced fantastically, too. Right now, I’d say you’re going to go far. Well done, the pair of you!

Len’s Comment: We’ve got a funky monkey in the house, ladies and gentlemen! Do you know, Lea, your enthusiasm is great to see, and the Cha Cha was very, very good, too. Occasionally, you need to straighten your legs more, but I tell you what – that was fantastic!

Craig: 7
    Len: 7

Total: 29/40

Our penultimate dance of the round is a Waltz, brought to you by Pixie & Brendan! :)
    Forum Member
    Training: Brendan and I have the Waltz as our opening performance, and it’s all very graceful, smooth and elegant, so nothing like the sort of songs I’m used to! Seriously, though, I am enjoying learning how to dance, even if I’m finding the technical aspect of it quite challenging. Brendan keeps telling me how amazing I’m doing, but I’d say he’s completely mad if he thinks that’s the case! *laughs*

Pixie & Brendan dance a Waltz to Love In Slow Motion by Angela Bofill (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORatjPDNHvw).

Bruno’s Comment: I now pronounce you both dancing royalty! You have gelled so well together, and the way you finish off each other’s movements is what makes your dancing truly special for me. For me, the best dance of the night.

Craig’s Comment: Your hold was strong, your footwork clean, your extensions absolutely stunning, the emotion and storytelling were first class. Other than a spot of gapping every now and again, that was a-ma-zing!

Craig: 8
    Darcey: 8
    Len: 8

Total: 32/40

And closing the first round of competition with a Cha Cha Cha are Marc & Janette! :)
    Forum Member
    Training: Janette and I will be taking on the Cha Cha as our first dance, and it’s all a bit too quick for me. I was hoping we’d get something with a little less… well, gyrating in it for Show One, but hey, I’m up for it! The dance is coming on decently, but, if all doesn’t go to plan, I may just take off my shirt in a ploy to distract the judges – well, Bruno at least. Hopefully, I won’t need to do that, though!

Marc & Janette dance a Cha Cha Cha to Love Never Felt So Good by Michael Jackson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NIXlRBWevo).

Bruno’s Comment: Oh, Marc, we all got the best of both worlds there – you didn’t go wrong and still took your top off for us! I am one lucky man. Anyway, the dancing. You could’ve given it a bit more sex appeal in the downstairs region, but I do like what I see very much.

Darcey’s Comment: I’d be running for the taxi right now if I were you, Marc! However, you shouldn’t need to after a performance like that; you brought the house down with it! Bruno is right, in that you did need a bit more hip action, but what a great end to the show.

Craig: 6
    Bruno: 7

Total: 26/40

So, with the first show done and dusted, let's take a quick look at the leaderboard... ;-)
    Forum Member
    1st - Pixie & Brendan - 32
    2nd - Lea & Pasha - 29
    3rd - Maddy & Kevin - 27
    4th - Marc & Janette - 26
    5th - Kellie & Ian - 25
    6th - James & Natalie - 23
    7th - Suzannah & Aljaz - 22
    8th - Sheila & Anton - 19
    9th - Alice & Robin - 16

So, Pixie & Brendan find themselves at the top of the judges leaderboard, while Alice & Robin sit at the bottom. But it's not just those scores that count, as...

THE LINES ARE NOW OPEN! :)

Please rank the couples from 9 (your favourite) to 1 (your least favourite) and PM these to me by 8:00pm tonight, when the lines will close. The combined points from the judges and the public will be added together, and rolled over to next week, when our couples will take on another dance, before we discover our first casualty of the ballroom. ;-)

Thank you very much for watching, and remember: keep dancing. ;-)
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,102
    Forum Member
    Poor alisexy
  • Monsieur23Monsieur23 Posts: 6,916
    Forum Member
    Suzannah strikes me as a dark horse; good technique, just needs time to get over her nerves. :)
    Forum Member
    You still have one hour left to vote, if you haven't already. ;-)
    Forum Member
    THE LINES ARE NOW CLOSED! :o

Please do not try to vote as it will not be counted. ;-)

The second round will be on Tuesday evening, when our nine partnerships will tackle another dance and we will lose our first contestant (whose real-life persona will also be revealed ;-)). So yeah, see you then. :p
    Forum Member
    Foxtrot
    Kellie & Ian
    Marc & Janette
    Suzannah & Aljaz

Jive
    Alice & Robin
    James & Natalie
    Maddy & Kevin
    Pixie & Brendan

Tango
    Lea & Pasha
    Sheila & Anton
    Forum Member
    3 (Britney Spears)
    About You Now (Sugababes)
    All Of Me (John Legend)
    Dog Days Are Over (Florence and The Machine)
    My Baby Just Cares For Me (Nina Simone)
    Return To Sender (Elvis Presley)
    Rockin' Robin (Jackson 5)
    Rotterdam (Or Anyway) (The Beautiful South)
    Tango Diabolo (Christa Behnke)
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,102
    Forum Member
    Alice Looks Stunning
    Forum Member
    The show will likely be up at 9:00pm tonight, so get ready... ;-)