Game of Thrones Season 3 - (for those who have read ALL the Books) - SPOILERS.

Comments

• CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shute wrote: »
    We tutted too.

I can't recall - did Sam have the cache of dragon glass daggers on him in the book or just the one?

And Sansa and the cloak - they turned Joffrey into the meanie (not that he isn't by a long mile anyway!) by removing the stool rather than Sansa have a teenage snit and refuse to bend down for the cloak but that aside I've no complaints. Peter Dinklage is pretty much perfection in this role.

In the book Sam has the cache of them iirc as he's also with Edd and Green who were with him when Ghost uncovered the stash of weapons.

Yeah I agree re-Sansa and the cloak but I can see why they did it that way because the TV viewer doesn't get Sansa's internal monologue so it would have been hard to show that visually. I thought they approached it in a reasonable way, he still had to ask her to kneel, she didn't do it herself and it still provided that whole edge of sulky tension to the wedding.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Wrong thread, sorry.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shute wrote: »
    We tutted too.

I can't recall - did Sam have the cache of dragon glass daggers on him in the book or just the one?

In the book it was Ghost and Jon who found the Dragonglass.

IIRC he gave out knives/spearpoints/arrowheads to a number of different people so the Cache was spreadout.

Of course in the Book Sam killed the WW while still with other members of the Nights watch who still had Dragonglass weapons.

Sam's dagger shattered when he tried using it on a Wight.

I'm guessing that in the show even though Sam dropped the dagger Grenn and Ed will have taken other pieces of Dragonglass back to the wall.

Reducing the Yunkai Sellsword companies down to just the Second Sons while logical enough will cause a few ripples later on.

Barristen won't get to have his one on one fight with Mero (though the show did give a nod to that with Dany telling Barristan to kill Mero first) and it remains to be seen if the Second Sons led by Daario will betray Dany as they did in the book when led by Brown Ben Plumm.

And of course will it be the Second Sons that Tyrion ends up joining.
  • mabbus-cattus1mabbus-cattus1 Posts: 5,777
    Forum Member
    wrong thread - sorry
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another quality Game of Thrones meme here. Oh and Game of Thrones Mother's Day Cards.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like they were ever gonna give him the blue hair....the same goes for Dany's purple eyes (which I always thought was a bit crap anyway).

I think what they've done with the sellswords is one of the best adaptation decisions so far. I don't know about anyone else but it's so bloody boring in ADWD (along with much of the rest of that book! :P). The series is going to be much better than the book by that stage.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like they were ever gonna give him the blue hair....the same goes for Dany's purple eyes (which I always thought was a bit crap anyway).

I think what they've done with the sellswords is one of the best adaptation decisions so far. I don't know about anyone else but it's so bloody boring in ADWD (along with much of the rest of that book! :P). The series is going to be much better than the book by that stage.

Yeah, I was actually expecting a massive simplification and streamlining of Dany's whole story as it's just gets convoluted and tiresome in the books. In a 10 episode season she's lucky to get an hours worth of screen time so there's only so much they can do.

I loved this episode by the way; I thought all of it worked extremely well. Joffrey is just a superb character in that you can't imagine a bigger &*%^ in all the 7 kingdoms :) I'm hoping that they fit in a few scenes of him trying to assert himself as king soon though as I think that's important to the story and adds some doubt as to who exactly murders him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like they were ever gonna give him the blue hair....the same goes for Dany's purple eyes (which I always thought was a bit crap anyway.

Why not though, they gave Jaqen his half red half white hair :) They could have done something similarly subtle with Daario's blue hair.

I agree with Corwin.
    Corwin wrote: »
    Reducing the Yunkai Sellsword companies down to just the Second Sons while logical enough will cause a few ripples later on.

Barristen won't get to have his one on one fight with Mero (though the show did give a nod to that with Dany telling Barristan to kill Mero first) and it remains to be seen if the Second Sons led by Daario will betray Dany as they did in the book when led by Brown Ben Plumm.

And of course will it be the Second Sons that Tyrion ends up joining.

I wonder how they're going to get round that now as they need one company of sellswords to betray her and all the associated fall out from that.
  • Gaz22Gaz22 Posts: 18,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must say, once again, the casting for the show has been spot on. Even actors I couldn't see as characters have fallen into their roles. On a show this big you worry that some characters will get miscast but the casting people have done their job well. Even the kids are near excellent in their roles.

The casting I'm mainly pleased about are the Lannisters. So much happens around them in the books and their miscasting could have messed a lot of things up. But they've all been cast brilliantly. I know Peter Dinklage gets a lot of plaudits but he is neigh-on perfect as Tyrion. Jack Gleeson IS Joffrey and, just when you think it can't get any better, Charles Dance comes onto the scene and brings Tywin to the screen.

I have to be honest, when GOT was first put forward as a TV series I didn't think they could do it. I didn't think they could pull off the scope of the books. But they've managed to do that and more. Sure, it isn't the books but it is as good as a GOT TV show can get in my opinion.
  • CelticMythCelticMyth Posts: 3,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed the last episode, but I think the lack of Catelyn this season has been a shame (especially consideing what is about to happen). Other than brief 2 brief conversations with Talisa and the Blackfish at the start of the season, she has said and done absolutely nothing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CelticMyth wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the last episode, but I think the lack of Catelyn this season has been a shame (especially consideing what is about to happen). Other than brief 2 brief conversations with Talisa and the Blackfish at the start of the season, she has said and done absolutely nothing.

I agree, I'm wondering just what kind of impact it's going to have on the none book readers considering what a shocker it was when reading. I know quite a few people who either threw their books at the wall (or similar) or who had to stop reading because it was so horrible.
    They've also really lessened the "tragedy" of the North losing not only their King but all the Bannermen except the Karstarks because they've not shown enough of them since S1. Imho not having the Small and Greatjon's or Dacey Mormont or the Manderlys etc is going to me the none book reader doesn't get the same effect - ie this is the equivalent of Scotland's Flowers of the Forest being wiped out, 3,500 bannermen and the rulers of most of the Houses of the North.
    I also don't think they've played up Roose Bolton enough to make his treachery as big a shock as it is in the books either. Still, will be interesting to see what they do with it and with the main visuals of the book - Catelyn having her throat cut and being thrown naked into the river, Robb and Grey Wolf, they've totally missed out Nymeria's wolf pack and Arya "seeing" her mother being dragged out of the river etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    I agree, I'm wondering just what kind of impact it's going to have on the none book readers considering what a shocker it was when reading. I know quite a few people who either threw their books at the wall (or similar) or who had to stop reading because it was so horrible.
    They've also really lessened the "tragedy" of the North losing not only their King but all the Bannermen except the Karstarks because they've not shown enough of them since S1. Imho not having the Small and Greatjon's or Dacey Mormont or the Manderlys etc is going to me the none book reader doesn't get the same effect - ie this is the equivalent of Scotland's Flowers of the Forest being wiped out, 3,500 bannermen and the rulers of most of the Houses of the North.
    I also don't think they've played up Roose Bolton enough to make his treachery as big a shock as it is in the books either. Still, will be interesting to see what they do with it and with the main visuals of the book - Catelyn having her throat cut and being thrown naked into the river, Robb and Grey Wolf, they've totally missed out Nymeria's wolf pack and Arya "seeing" her mother being dragged out of the river etc.

I think they are playing up Bolton as seemingly honourable so when it is revealed the Bastard Of Bolton is his son after he delivers Jamie's words to Robb, we'll realise just what a crazy bastard he must be if his son is like that. Balon and Roose are probably the most ruthless just behind Stannis and Tywin to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they are playing up Bolton as seemingly honourable so when it is revealed the Bastard Of Bolton is his son after he delivers Jamie's words to Robb, we'll realise just what a crazy bastard he must be if his son is like that. Balon and Roose are probably the most ruthless just behind Stannis and Tywin to me.

Yeah I agree with you that that's what they're trying to do, I just don't think they've done it well enough :D I don't think they've really given enough screen time to the story of the North and the fight going on between Robb and the Lannisters across the Riverlands.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay I have to admit, I laughed. . . a lot
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I agree with you that that's what they're trying to do, I just don't think they've done it well enough :D I don't think they've really given enough screen time to the story of the North and the fight going on between Robb and the Lannisters across the Riverlands.

I made a similar point earlier on in the thread about whether the RW will be as big a shock to tv viewers as it was to book readers. When characters get so little screen time surely it's an indication to the viewer that he's not going to be around that long?

Also I agree that there hasn't been enough evidence this season of the kingdom still being at war. I know that they can't afford too many battle scenes but they need to show that the war doesn't simply entail Robb having sex in his camp whilst Joffrey shots **** with a crossbow.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I made a similar point earlier on in the thread about whether the RW will be as big a shock to tv viewers as it was to book readers. When characters get so little screen time surely it's an indication to the viewer that he's not going to be around that long?

Also I agree that there hasn't been enough evidence this season of the kingdom still being at war. I know that they can't afford too many battle scenes but they need to show that the war doesn't simply entail Robb having sex in his camp whilst Joffrey shots **** with a crossbow.

I thought that when we saw The Hound and Arya riding through a country park, when we would have expected them to be riding through a war-torn countryside.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's setting it up too much that Robb is about to have his arse handed to him. Granted, most non-book readers are still going to be shocked by the severity of it, but it won't have half the impact it did in the book, mainly cause TV series Robb and Cat are already lesser characters and Robb isn't as young and naive as he is in the book. TV Robb almost deserves to be killed!! :D
  • lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the show and I'm forgiving to the changes they made to stop it being a cast of millions. The only gripe I have is this series tends to be signposting moments. I know they have to fit it into 50 mins but it's become "Oh look what I've found (shows dragon glass briefly) it will in no way be important later (wink)".

The worst of this has to be the whole Robb/ Catelyn angle. Everything they say and do when they appear has a huge neon light flashing "foreshadowing" behind it.

On a different note, I've only read the first 4 books, if anyone wants to drop me a PM and spoiler a question I have, as it's driving me nuts. Is it ever definitively shown that Ned was Jon Snow's father? Reading the books I always got the vibe that Jon may have been his sister's child, and she may have died in childbirth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On a different note, I've only read the first 4 books, if anyone wants to drop me a PM and spoiler a question I have, as it's driving me nuts. Is it ever definitively shown that Ned was Jon Snow's father? Reading the books I always got the vibe that Jon may have been his sister's child, and she may have died in childbirth.

Nothing definitive no as of the end of A Dance with Dragons. Your speculation is pretty much the leading "theory".
  • lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing definitive no as of the end of A Dance with Dragons. Your speculation is pretty much the leading "theory".

Ah sweet thanks. I don't go to discussion sites, as I like to get the vibe myself, and don't want to get told "XYZ die in the next book". :D

I thought it might play that way in the books, but the whole angle is dropped from the TV show, so I start to think, either it's unimportant and I read too much into it, or it will be the case and be the big "game changer" moment later on depending on whether Rhaegar or Robert was the father.
  • ally08ally08 Posts: 34,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen this weeks episode and without going into too much detail I have to say the Red Wedding was nigh on perfect in my opinion.

I know people are suggesting that it might lose a bit of impact due the limited screen time of the main players but for me it really didn't.

Left me open mouthed and an hour later I still feel shocked.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ally08 wrote: »
    Just seen this weeks episode and without going into too much detail I have to say the Red Wedding was nigh on perfect in my opinion.

I know people are suggesting that it might lose a bit of impact due the limited screen time of the main players but for me it really didn't.

It's a massive shame that some idiot has spoiled this on the UK pace thread for people tonight!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a massive shame that some idiot has spoiled this on the UK pace thread for people tonight!

The post's already been moved and it was probably a mistake, quite a few people post in the UK thread thinking it's the US one and vice versa.
    ally08 wrote: »

Totally agree, it was perfectly done. I had been seriously worried about the impact of the Red Wedding given how little focus there had been on Robb's storyline and Catelyn's role had been reduced massively but they utterly nailed it.
    My heart was racing through the whole episode knowing that it was coming and seeing Cat realise what was going on and knowing she could do nothing about it was brilliant. The whole episode should be winning an Emmy for every one of the major players.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The post's already been moved and it was probably a mistake, quite a few people post in the UK thread thinking it's the US one and vice versa.

It was up there for over 1 1/2 hours, so a few people sadly might have seen it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    It was an excellent portrayal of the red wedding, but for me when I read it, the biggest shock of all cam in the last words of Arya's chapter, where George made it seems as though Arya had been killed as well. That was the one that really drove in the despair, thinking that she had been killed so needlessly, and that George was just ****ing us over.

Props for including the Hound knocking her out, but missed cliffhanger in showing him taking her to safety?

10/10 though