Options

Sky+ cheapest deal for existing Sky subscriber?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Dynamic wrote:
    On top of that because I am a subscriber to one of the entertainment packages the £10 per month charge for Sky+ is also waived.
    Is that because you also have movies or sport included in the package. ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    daps wrote:
    Is that because you also have movies or sport included in the package. ?

Hi Daps,

I have the movies and entertainment package. Basically everything but the sports channels. Not sure of the correct name, but it's the £37 a month subscription.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    ayebab wrote:
    even if they don't agree and they cancel it you still have 30 days to change your mind. and i'm sure in those 30 days someone will be ringing you to try and make you stay.

your missing the point.

to get this deal you have threaten to cancel. otherwise you need to get a friend to sign up to sky.

the whole point is what if you dont have a friend? then what. the way round it is to say your leaving to sky. you get through to cancellation team who ask why you are leaving. they can offer you sky+ a lot cheaper

however there is talk of sky stopping this.

they wont phone you up and cancel the deal and talk you into staying. they think they have stopped you leaving
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    squired wrote:
    Gotta give you guys credit. Don't think I'd convincingly be able to do the whole I wanna cancel bluff to get it for £49.

Same here !

I'd need to have a drink first :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    squired wrote:
    Gotta give you guys credit. Don't think I'd convincingly be able to do the whole I wanna cancel bluff to get it for £49.

The Sky+ £49 deal is available and they will explain why they are giving it and what type of customer they offer it to. I phoned and got it on behalf of my brother-in-law just after Christmas and it was fitted a few days after New Year.

It's no good threatening to cancel. You have to phone up specifically to cancel and say clearly what you want to do.

Here are a few tips...
    1. Make sure you have decided on an alternative and be prepared to say what it is, as they will go down the "you'll never be able to manage without Sky" route. I had the model and make of the Freeview PVR I was "going to buy" instead handy and quoted it to them; Say how you were very impressed with what they salesman had to say about it - Sky are salesmen too and they don't like to lose!
    2. Say that you've decided to buy this because you want to record programmes but don't really want anything "as complicated as Sky+";
    3. Feign ignorance of how it works and say how easy to operate the Freeview box you had demonstrated is; don't let on you know Sky+ is even easier, let them do their job and explain it to you;
    4. Remember the Freeview recorder is more expensive than the standard Sky+ offer of £159, but only by about £60 and you will save that in the first two months by not subscribing to Sky...
    5. They will ask you what channels you watch. They will ask you to be specific to say that you watch channels which aren't on Freeview. Don't flannel them. If you watch sports and movies, say that you do, but crucially, say that you want to save money and will be quite prepared to manage without them...

Towards the end of my conversation, I got cut off. This may be coincidental, but it could be strategic. If all people who are really serious about cancelling get cut off at a crucial point, and say only 80% of them phone back, Sky are winners. So if that happens to you, don't get disheartened. Phone back.

They eventually say that there is a special deal where Sky+ can be installed for £49. Don't whoop with delight, play stupid - ask them what the catch is; ask them why it's not publicised; ask them if it's second hand equipment.

The explanantion they gave me was that only certain people in the call centre team are authorised to offer it; it's reserved for long-standing loyal customers of Sky who subscribe to more than the basic packages who they don't want to lose - they were very open about it - so don't expect it if you've been a customer for one year and don't have premium channels, they might just be happy to lose you. They also said that if they publicised it they wouldn't be able to cope with the demand from an installation point of view.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    After reading this thread decided that I would try my luck in upgrading to sky+. Spoke to sales and told them that I had read that there were people upgrading for £49 and I would like to do the same. I was told that I couldn't and it would be £159 inc fitting. I asked why this was as they are upgrading other people for £49 I was told that no "flyers" had been sent out in my area, so would have to pay full price. I argued the point that this meant they were discriminating against me because of my geographical location and that they couldn't do this. She transfered me through to customer care and from there was passed through to canacellations (although they call it turnaround I think). They wouldn't budge on the price even when threatening to cancel, so I asked for an email address that I could make a complaint to. Apparently no email address for this and I would have to write a letter. I found the email address james.murdoch@bskyb.com on another thread on this site, so I fired off my moaning email about how I couldn't upgrade for the reduced price purely because of where I lived and that no one had been able to give me a definative answer to why this was. I received an email within a few hours telling me that they have arranged for Sky+ to be installed next friday free of charge. Don't know if I just got lucky or whether I hit a nerve with them but it may be worth someone else giving it a go !! :D

Forgot to say I have only been with sky for 10 months but I do subscribe to the full package with no multiroom :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    your missing the point.

to get this deal you have threaten to cancel. otherwise you need to get a friend to sign up to sky.

Mentioned to my friend that I managed to get the £49 deal for Sky+ on Saturday. A quick phone call straight to the cancellations dept using the automated menu system and they are upgrading him as well. No threats from my friend to cancel - just told them that he had heard through the grapevine about it and was it still available. Probably depends on who you speak to on the end of the phone at Sky. A jobsworth or a human being.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I spoke to someone at cancellations and got offered the £49 deal pretty much straight away. I think it's the luck of the draw.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Colleague of mine phoned them this morning. (hi Nick if you're reading this) and has also managed to get the £49 deal without threatening to cancel.

He also pointed me in the direction of the following, which makes interesting reading.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1133805689,83738,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    e-mailed james.murdoch@bskyb.com yesterday morning (as suggested by Wignum) re not being able to upgrade for reduced charge-no reply yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sky phoned me regarding the e-mail i sent to james.murdoch@bskyb.com and offered me sky+ with free installation for £49!! Got it installed at the weekend.
    Thanks everyone for the info.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Massy,

What did your email say? Whatever it was it obviosuly worked,s o I'd like to give it a go.

Advice please, on what i should say in it.

Thank you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What did your email say? Whatever it was it obviosuly worked,s o I'd like to give it a go..

Why not just phone them up? It worked for me, and several other people in this thread, and friends / colleagues of mine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Hi,
    I finally got up the guts to call them, after going through numerous screening menus got standard customer service, asked for cancellations, he took my details and passed me through. I was speaking to a woman who said they did not offer the £49 deal but would give me sky+ for £99 (basically waving the installation). I accepted, but she put me on hold and I got cut off. I called back (had to go through the same menus) but got a different guy in cancellations, who immediately said I could have it for £49. I paid by card and he checked when I could get it installed and said there was a slot saturday (I was calling thursday evening). Two guys turned up promptly saturday morning and 20 minutes later I had a brand new sky+ amstrad box (I asked if it was a refurb and they said no).

All in all I think it really depends on who you speak to in 'cancellations' as I belive they each have a quota of 'deals' to offer people each week and you just need to be lucky and get one with deals left to use up at the end of the week.
  • Options
    edduk1981edduk1981 Posts: 2,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I moved into a new house in 1yr ago and after 6 months i upgraded to sky+ free of charge and got multi-room and i am on the package with all sport channels, but no movies (thye are crap) and i have sky+ in living room and multi-room in bedroom and all i pay is £47 per month.

Be warned about recommend a friend, i recommended a friend in November 06 and opted for £50 M & S vouchers as already got sky+ and still to this day i have not recieved my vouchers.

I have been onto their recommend a friend line last night on 0870 for 20 mins to be told they are out of stock.

Lets say after all this time, i told them i wanted my vouchers and compensation, whats the likely outcome of that i wonder.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    I have been reading all these posts with interest, my husband and I have been discussing getting Sky + for some time now but he is reluctant to pay the multi-room subscription. We currently pay about £44.00 a month as we have got the works, movies, sports etc. If I phone Sky and explain this, would be get Sky + at a reduced price do you think? Also, what is the best box to get or do you not get a choice. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    you would get sky+ monthly free but you need to pay installation chargee£99 unless you do as above

multiroom is another box in another room £10 per box per month

you could get freesat for one off£20 for 2nd box
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    Having read this thread today, I called Sky.

(For the record, I have a three storey house with sky+ on the middle floor with a 'magic eye' connection to the top floor - I have the extra multiroom susbscription - normal sky - in my downstairs office.)

They quoted me £159 to have sky+ installed in my office, told them I had been a loyal subscriber for many years and asked to be put through to the 'turnaround' department to discuss cancellation.

Lovely chap in 'turnaround' said I could have sky+ in my office for £49 including installation and they could come within the week. Result.

Gonna see if I can get my parents an upgrade from sky to sky+ for the same price with the threat of 'cancellation'.

Thanks guys for this most helpful thread. :):)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    The 'turnaround' department is brilliant! I have now got my parents an upgrade from sky to sky+ for £49. The installer will probably do both their system and mine as we're booked on the same day and live just two miles apart.

Just to think it would have cost me the thick end of £320... as it is, £98 for two sky+ boxes including installation.

You gotta know how to work the system - many thanks again to everyone for their help!

The direct 'turnaround' number is 08700 248973 - use the cancellation threat and away you go!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I finally did it :D

I called cancellations last night and have upgraded to Sky+ for £49.

Thanks to all that posted advice on here. You've saved me quite a few pennies.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    I already have Sky+ in my living room and a normal sky box in my bedroom. I would really love to have a Sky+ in my bedroom too.

Do you think i would get a deal to upgrade my upstairs box to Sky+??

also, what extra subscription would I have to pay for the 2nd Sky+ box. I have the full package.

Thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    use the cancellation threat and away you go!

Usually you don't even have to bother with any threats of cancelling. I know 3 people that just phoned up the turnaround dept and asked if the offer of £49 was correct.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Considering doing this tomorrow for my parents, my dad's not one to haggle, so I'm going to do it for him. Can I really just ask for the £49 deal? I've looked on the Sky site and that's not the deal for new customers any more :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Dual wrote:
    I already have Sky+ in my living room and a normal sky box in my bedroom. I would really love to have a Sky+ in my bedroom too.

Do you think i would get a deal to upgrade my upstairs box to Sky+??

also, what extra subscription would I have to pay for the 2nd Sky+ box. I have the full package.

Thanks

Anyone??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Massy,

What did your email say? Whatever it was it obviosuly worked,s o I'd like to give it a go.

Advice please, on what i should say in it.

Thank you.

I complained about their lack of offers in my geographical location. Also stated that I intended cancelling, purchasing a PVR and settling for Freeview channels only (recouping my outlay within a short number of months).