• MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's RDF?

Reality Distortion Field

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality_distortion_field
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I thought it was W7 SP1 that 'forgot' it and now Microsoft are facing big fines from the EU.

I'm sure I got a browser choice screen when I installed W8, it was part of the first Windows Update I did.

EDIT: I tried downloading LibreOffice 4 for Windows and keep getting an error message about a corrupt CAB file part way through the install, I tried using a different mirror site - same result. I am wondering if it is a Virgin Media download issue or my anti-virus.

That is what Im getting installing on W8 that Ive tried on two different machines, one a desktop, one a laptop.
    The install crashes then for me.
    I downloaded via sky and at a work location yesterday, so def not an isp issue.
    Works fine with same downloads on W7.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    installed on my windows 8 machine and it seems ok, but then I only do basic stuff with Libre, a little bit on the spreadsheet and some word processing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    installed on my windows 8 machine and it seems ok, but then I only do basic stuff with Libre, a little bit on the spreadsheet and some word processing.

Do you have java installed, from what I have read it seems to be causing problems with the install if you dont?
    Im installing a new clean W8 vm today and going to try installing it on that, with java.
    What also annoyed me is it left a bunch of Metro tiles of executables when it crashed, adding to my W8 metro tile mess. Damn it just makes me just want to permanently remove Metro, I hate clutter.
  • PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    The thing is, it just looks ugly. Really ugly to me. I've used earlier version of this, Star Office, Open Office etc. and they have all been very slow on my MacBook Pro. What makes this version different?
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretinama wrote: »
    The thing is, it just looks ugly. Really ugly to me. I've used earlier version of this, Star Office, Open Office etc. and they have all been very slow on my MacBook Pro. What makes this version different?
    microsoft's office is far, far uglier of course -- but does what some see as ugly matter as long as software is easy to use & ribbon free? ... there has been a much cleaner UI in libreoffice for a while now ... what's different? lots of tweaks & improvements .. too many to list on a forum post
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    I much prefer ribbon interfaces now. Libre office looks ancient.
  • RobertfltnRobertfltn Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    Pretinama wrote: »

I think Libre4 is much faster than the three series (it is on Linux anyway).

The UI is customisable. Under Tools- Options- View you can change the icons to the much nicer oxygen or crystal icons. Under customise- Toolbars- toolbar button you can add text to the icons making them a lot more elegant looking. Also, 4 can add firefox personas to make it that bit more personalised.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,419
    Forum Member
    barky99 wrote: »
    microsoft's office is far, far uglier of course -- but does what some see as ugly matter as long as software is easy to use & ribbon free? ... there has been a much cleaner UI in libreoffice for a while now ...
    I disagree. On a Windows machine at least, Office 2010 looks way better on the eye. The UI of Libreoffice looks extremely dated on a modern Windows OS. Plus the ribbon isn't going anywhere so it makes sense to try and get used to it since MS will be officially dropping support for Office 2003 in the spring of next year (meaning in theory no workplaces etc should still be using it in a production environment).

Obviously if you still have and old MS Office on your home PC it isn't going to just stop working, but bear in mind you probably are making things difficult for yourself in the long run when it comes to school/uni/workplace if applicable.
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    .... but bear in mind you probably are making things difficult for yourself in the long run when it comes to school/uni/workplace if applicable.
    office starter solves that time related hurdle to a degree .... and not every company uses ms office across whole business (or at all) these days, depends on how big they are or what company policy is, if they can get cheap deals thanks to being a charity etc .... in the long run you can't guarantee microsoft office will remain as dominant as it is now .. can you?
    Got both here to play safe ;)
  • TadpoleTadpole Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭