Windows phone gaining in UK market

Comments

• Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could be one of those switchers from android to windows. I need a new phone as my note has become abysmal. I don't want another android device so that only really leaves iOS and windows. I'm already a year into my contract and the iPhone 5 has been out for a fair while now so I don't see the point of shelling out £600 odd for a phone I will only use for a year and will be surpassed by a later model soon. Also I recieved a 5th gen iPod touch for Xmas as a gift so there would be a lot of redundancy if I got an iPhone now. So that leaves me with windows phone. The interface looks nice and things seem to have moved on since I had a windows mobile a few years ago. I'll be having a look at the lumia 520 today. If I like it I will get it. If not ill look at the 820 or 720 when it comes out.
  • legends wear 7legends wear 7 Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could be one of those switchers from android to windows. I need a new phone as my note has become abysmal. I don't want another android device so that only really leaves iOS and windows. I'm already a year into my contract and the iPhone 5 has been out for a fair while now so I don't see the point of shelling out £600 odd for a phone I will only use for a year and will be surpassed by a later model soon. Also I recieved a 5th gen iPod touch for Xmas as a gift so there would be a lot of redundancy if I got an iPhone now. So that leaves me with windows phone. The interface looks nice and things seem to have moved on since I had a windows mobile a few years ago. I'll be having a look at the lumia 520 today. If I like it I will get it. If not ill look at the 820 or 720 when it comes out.

completely remove your experiences of Windows Mobile from memory, you cannot compare that atrocity to Windows Phone 8
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    completely remove your experiences of Windows Mobile from memory, you cannot compare that atrocity to Windows Phone 8

It was an atrocity indeed. However I've been assured on this forum that windows phone is an entirely different thing:)
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    Not a chance .. both Nokia and MS had hoped for far more than this at this point. in some reports show them losing market share in the US over the last quarter.

A whole new os, whole new set of phones resulting in at present around 6% of the market, and of course not all of these phones Nokia's to boot.

The next year is very important for them and they have to keep on top of the game with both nokia and others to get big release handsets.

Makes a change for MS not to be in front like they are with their computer OS.

While I like the idea of another Os to compete, I wish it was not a MS one.

you only have to look at what they did with the Pc market and now most of the world now depend on MS software, which to be honest is not good.

Hardware wise the phones look good and maybe for people who just want a clean layout what ever that is and do not want to muck around with customising their phone, then windows phone may be for them. To restricted to be honest for a smart phone.

I was looking at other platforms before I got the Nexus, not that there is much choice, but Android even if it have got Google crap in it still seems to be the better option for the price.

I would have liked the new Blackberry, but out of my price range, i could have got a older Iphone for a bit more than i paid for the Nexus, but again it is limited and static. So it was back to Android.

What is needed is for someone to come out with a kick ass OS, that don't want to know what you are doing 24 hours a day, Maybe firefox will be the one if they sort things out. Unbuntu looks like it could be ok, but they like sending info back to companies as well.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any new OS will be in a similar situation as WP is. With iPhone and Android there had been enough people willing to stay with them and give them time to establish themselves. Now people look at the phone, does it now have everything I want from it, no? In a year? Too late, good bye.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    Makes a change for MS not to be in front like they are with their computer OS.

While I like the idea of another Os to compete, I wish it was not a MS one.

you only have to look at what they did with the Pc market and now most of the world now depend on MS software, which to be honest is not good.

Hardware wise the phones look good and maybe for people who just want a clean layout what ever that is and do not want to muck around with customising their phone, then windows phone may be for them. To restricted to be honest for a smart phone.

I was looking at other platforms before I got the Nexus, not that there is much choice, but Android even if it have got Google crap in it still seems to be the better option for the price.

I would have liked the new Blackberry, but out of my price range, i could have got a older Iphone for a bit more than i paid for the Nexus, but again it is limited and static. So it was back to Android.

What is needed is for someone to come out with a kick ass OS, that don't want to know what you are doing 24 hours a day, Maybe firefox will be the one if they sort things out. Unbuntu looks like it could be ok, but they like sending info back to companies as well.

There is nothing wrong with w8 or the phones but the problem is when you are playing catch up is there anything that makes a user want to switch. Obviously some will want to try but in the whole many wont on the basis of what w8 offers and that is the problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with w8 or the phones

In your opinion. the phones are ok spec wise, but it seems like they love bright colours for some reason.

It is not for me, but that is my opinion.
    but the problem is when you are playing catch up is there anything that makes a user want to switch. Obviously some will want to try but in the whole many wont on the basis of what w8 offers and that is the problem.

What does it offer?

Well i wanted a phone that will last me for a few years, I don't really want to buy another phone and I have used Android for a while now and while I have used Wp8 for a while, i did not really have much use, but what I have seen was not for me. the problem is if I got one of these phones and I did not like it, that would be money wasted.

So far I only know of one person who got a WP8, other people have got Android or IOS or even blackberry but not the new one.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    You seem largely to be repeating what I said ;)
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    They give me what I want - a phone that does not costs a small fortune - £145 sim free. A phone that does not lag and works quickly all the time with a bright, clear screen and a good range of apps that does everything I want - I give you the Nokia Lumia 800 - excellent phone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,726
    Forum Member
    Just got a Nokia Lumia 920 as i fancied a change and windows 8 is brilliant ,easy to use, navigate and looks smart too, just wish orange with finish off my 'sim swap', over 36 hours now and 2 calls, so i can get using my phone properly.

if microsoft can produce a better facebook app, get more apps such as instagram they'll pull more people away from android easily, android just looks cluttered and messy at times
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got a Nokia Lumia 920 as i fancied a change and windows 8 is brilliant ,easy to use, navigate and looks smart too, just wish orange with finish off my 'sim swap', over 36 hours now and 2 calls, so i can get using my phone properly.

if microsoft can produce a better facebook app, get more apps such as instagram they'll pull more people away from android easily, android just looks cluttered and messy at times

Are you going to sign up to the Nokia music sub service? I hear its pretty good... and apparently they're going to release it for all the wp8 phones soon, so I might sign up to it.
    Forum Member
    irishguy wrote: »
    Are you going to sign up to the Nokia music sub service? I hear its pretty good... and apparently they're going to release it for all the wp8 phones soon, so I might sign up to it.

Ive not seen this yet, ill have to take a look, i mainly buy music with itunes as i do music at work for the bar so ill have to see if its worth it for me
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive not seen this yet, ill have to take a look, i mainly buy music with itunes as i do music at work for the bar so ill have to see if its worth it for me

I think its more like a spotify application. Pay something like 3 quid a month to listen via streaming or downloading tracks to your phone. It should be already installed on your phone... under Nokia Music or maybe just Music. Surprised that Msoft have okayed this as it seems to be directly competing with its Xbox music service
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its more like a spotify application. Pay something like 3 quid a month to listen via streaming or downloading tracks to your phone. It should be already installed on your phone... under Nokia Music or maybe just Music. Surprised that Msoft have okayed this as it seems to be directly competing with its Xbox music service

Both companies need each other so no doubt they both give and take a bit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    They give me what I want - a phone that does not costs a small fortune - £145 sim free. A phone that does not lag and works quickly all the time with a bright, clear screen and a good range of apps that does everything I want - I give you the Nokia Lumia 800 - excellent phone.

The 800 runs WP7.5 or something like that does it not?
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    The 800 runs WP7.5 or something like that does it not?

It does, yes - but 7.8 is being rolled out now as well
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

MS' xbox music service competes more directly with spotify which also has an app on there. MS made xbox music to have a service to offer a complete ecosystem, not really a great moneymaking venture.

Nokia Music is quite different - it's more radio station based like pandora or how last.fm used to be. You can't just make a completely custom playlist - but for someone like me, it's great, only £4 a month and someone else makes the playlists for you, I just listen.
    Forum Member
    Still can't use my phone, contacted orange again, sim swap says done again but showing as a fault and pending in the system, been sent to 'tech' again and could be another 24 hours before it does it, not impressed, paid to upgrade early and paid for phone too. not fixed tomorrow im asking for a refund or can cancel the contract and my port code
  • Air ResistanceAir Resistance Posts: 5,145
    Forum Member

I've got to say the only problem i have with windows 8 is the terrible Facebook app and lack of instagram. Sort it out and its a no brainer!
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got to say the only problem i have with windows 8 is the terrible Facebook app and lack of instagram. Sort it out and its a no brainer!

I think theres enough of those silly filtered photos on facebook already!
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    I wish wp8 every success. but that it is gaining market share should surprise nobody.
  • legends wear 7legends wear 7 Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who needs a Facebook app when social networking is at the heart of the UI.

i don't have the App installed as all i need is available through the people tile.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    MS' xbox music service competes more directly with spotify which also has an app on there. MS made xbox music to have a service to offer a complete ecosystem, not really a great moneymaking venture.

Nokia Music is quite different - it's more radio station based like pandora or how last.fm used to be. You can't just make a completely custom playlist - but for someone like me, it's great, only £4 a month and someone else makes the playlists for you, I just listen.

So you cant choose the artists and songs as with Grooveshark or Spotify?

Not sure I like that concept. But I guess you like it and think its worth the 4 quid.. what makes it worth the cash?

I see Pandora will be free for a year upon release... too bad its US only... BBC should be stepping up here!
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was an atrocity indeed. However I've been assured on this forum that windows phone is an entirely different thing:)

They are very different interfaces.

MS are going to continually mess things up on interfaces.

WinCE and Mobile adopted the Win95 start type menu. Which was utterly useless for a mobile.

The WP8 is okay for a mobile or a touch screen device, would love to know which idiot it was at MS who decided that interface should be forced down everyones throat for the desktop. Its a touch screen interface only, not suitable for a desktop environment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    They are very different interfaces.

MS are going to continually mess things up on interfaces.

WinCE and Mobile adopted the Win95 start type menu. Which was utterly useless for a mobile.

The WP8 is okay for a mobile or a touch screen device, would love to know which idiot it was at MS who decided that interface should be forced down everyones throat for the desktop. Its a touch screen interface only, not suitable for a desktop environment.
    Thanks. I did manage to see the 620 in the flesh on Saturday although it wasn't switched on so wasn't helpful. :rolleyes:. I'll have to have another look next weekend. I've read that the release date for the 720 is the 1st of April so I could hold on for that.