Parking in front of driveways

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Scotsnomad wrote: »
    Yes and it still happens nowadays shocking isnt it?

:)

Did you get your disabled bay in the end? I didn't think neighbours could stop the process. There are two outside my place. I wasn't even consulted - not that I would ever object.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Did you get your disabled bay in the end? I didn't think neighbours could stop the process. There are two outside my place. I wasn't even consulted - not that I would ever object.
    No his right of access overruled our application for disabled parking.

His drive (Or attempt of a drive) is presently a mud/chipped area with a section of breeze block which is supposed to be a retaining wall but its not fit for purpose. Just a case of waiting until it falls on his car

rgds
    :(
  • Options
    EastEnders-1105EastEnders-1105 Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mum had to pick me up from school once she stopped just accross (not on but her car was jutting over a drive) we get in the car next thing we know some ederly man is yelling at my mum fing and blinding telling her to move her car from his drive.

She calmly explained that she was just going but that wasnt enough the ederly man kepts yelling so she just drove off.

Another time she pulled up outside a Pub to collect a friend at 7pm she was just waiting then all of a sudden there was a loud Knocking on the passanger window a drunk bloke was swearing f-ing and blinding and screaming at my mum to move her f-ing car.(Apparently it was on the delivery driveway which why would a pub even have a delivery at 7pm?)
    i was in the car at the time it frightened the life out of me
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No his right of access overruled our application for disabled parking.

His drive (Or attempt of a drive) is presently a mud/chipped area with a section of breeze block which is supposed to be a retaining wall but its not fit for purpose. Just a case of waiting until it falls on his car

rgds
    :(

He sounds like a cantankerous old bugger.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    He sounds like a cantankerous old bugger.
    Would normally agree but he is probably about 25+......As the saying goes softly softly catchee monkey !!!... I am now amassing a lot of photos with other cars parked in the vicinity and will present them when the time is right and he calls the police to me.......

To think what how we used to help him prior to this makes me cringe !!!

rgds:cry:
  • Options
    tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the OP has been very selfish blocking someone's drive. I have no sympathy for the abuse he got. As others have said what if he needed to get off his drive quickly? Rush a child to hospital, or his wife went into labour.The OP doesn't know what is going on in the house, as for having problems with him, before, why go and do something to annoy him. If the OP was just dropping someone off and stopped for a minute or so, fair enough but to turn the engine off and go and have a cup of tea for 20 minutes is nothing other than selfish, he deserved all he got
  • Options
    AtomicClockAtomicClock Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    tigragirl wrote: »
    I think the OP has been very selfish blocking someone's drive. I have no sympathy for the abuse he got. As others have said what if he needed to get off his drive quickly? Rush a child to hospital, or his wife went into labour.The OP doesn't know what is going on in the house, as for having problems with him, before, why go and do something to annoy him. If the OP was just dropping someone off and stopped for a minute or so, fair enough but to turn the engine off and go and have a cup of tea for 20 minutes is nothing other than selfish, he deserved all he got

It was an illegal drive:confused:

It was someone illegally bumping the kerb and driving on the pavement to park on their front garden. The OP legally parked at the side of the road!
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was about to start a new thread, but I might as well join this one!

New tenants have moved into the house next door. They have a paved parking bay at the front, but they can't access it without using part of our (legal and paid for) driveway, and then driving over the grass verge and pavement, which is what they've done.

The verge is OK now, as it's dry, but when it gets wet their car will chew it up. Also, I resent having paid for a driveway and having them use it for free. They could apply for a driveway, but it would cost them about £800.

I don't really want my first contact to be "Hello, please don't use my driveway or I'll report you", but I'm not prepared to have them continue to use it, or to mess up the verge and pavement. I thought I might contact the letting company initially and ask them to deal with it - if I get no joy, I'll have to contact the local council and risk a fight. Anyone got any ideas?
  • Options
    AtomicClockAtomicClock Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    susie-4964 wrote: »

New tenants have moved into the house next door. They have a paved parking bay at the front, but they can't access it without using part of our (legal and paid for) driveway, and then driving over the grass verge and pavement, which is what they've done.

The verge is OK now, as it's dry, but when it gets wet their car will chew it up. Also, I resent having paid for a driveway and having them use it for free. They could apply for a driveway, but it would cost them about £800.

I don't really want my first contact to be "Hello, please don't use my driveway or I'll report you", but I'm not prepared to have them continue to use it, or to mess up the verge and pavement. I thought I might contact the letting company initially and ask them to deal with it - if I get no joy, I'll have to contact the local council and risk a fight. Anyone got any ideas?

The only thing you can do is contact your local authority traffic department. they are the only ones who have the authority to enforce this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing you can do is contact your local authority traffic department. they are the only ones who have the authority to enforce this.

Yeah, I might have to. The letting company advertised the house as having off- street parking, I should probably have asked them to change their blurb as soon as I saw it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Would normally agree but he is probably about 25+......As the saying goes softly softly catchee monkey !!!... I am now amassing a lot of photos with other cars parked in the vicinity and will present them when the time is right and he calls the police to me.......

To think what how we used to help him prior to this makes me cringe !!!

rgds:cry:

Good luck. :) He wasn't interested with his 'access' until you mentioned getting a disabled bay. He sounds petty indeed.
  • Options
    DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We live in opposite the gates of a primary school and even though the school constantly sends out letters telling parents that it's residents only parking, certain parents still park in the limited amount of spaces, often blocking driveways. My parents had caught one woman park on our drive, blocking our car from getting into our garage and our neighbour from getting into there's and after finding her and asking her to move her car, she told them that they could wait until they were finished, so they closed the gates and padlocked them. She called the police but as she'd parked on private property and been asked and then told to move her car and refused, the police refused to help her. It was quite funny. She then continued to block our drive as some sort of payback, so my parents and neighbour blocked her in from both sides and left the cars there until the next day. Sadly it's not illegal, even though we have residents only parking it is still just a request until the council actually start to issue the permits that have been promised for years.

:D
    Why don't the traffic wardens issue penalties? It seems a bit daft having residents only parking if it's not enforced. My kid's attend a school that is in a residents only parking zone. It's opposite the hospital and the hospital staff were causing parking problems for the residents. If I go by car I park at the very far end of the road away from school. If there's a school play or assembly we have to park half a mile away to prevent getting a penalty.
    I've never seen the wardens issue penalties to parent's cars on the road where school is but they have done it around the corner from school.
  • Options
    DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, and point out that the landlord will be liable to pay for the damage to the grass verge if it's reported to the council
  • Options
    NocturnaliaNocturnalia Posts: 113
    Forum Member

No idea of the legalities of this but I've seen people in similar situations put decorative rocks (large ones) on the kerb.

When you say driveway, is that on your own land? Is there any way you can put something on your land which would prevent them from using it, like the above?
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you mean the driveway on your own property or the dropped kerb and access route across the pavement? If the latter then that is part of the public highway not your drive. So there may be limits to what you can do to stop them.

There is however the fact that driving on the pavement is illegal except to access property via a properly constructed access route. You could argue that by turning off "your" access route to get to their parking space they are driving across the pavement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Do you mean the driveway on your own property or the dropped kerb and access route across the pavement? If the latter then that is part of the public highway not your drive. So there may be limits to what you can do to stop them.

There is however the fact that driving on the pavement is illegal except to access property via a properly constructed access route. You could argue that by turning off "your" access route to get to their parking space they are driving across the pavement.

I'm not so bothered about the drive (it is a dropped kerb with a crossing, that we paid for, but it's not on our land). I'd definitely go for the stronger angle of them having to drive across the verge and pavement, which they can't avoid doing. Guy along the road was warned for doing the same thing and hasn't offended again since. I doubt the tenants will pay for a crossing, and the landlord certainly won't.

I'll contact the letting agent if the parking thing continues and point out that it's partly their fault for not explaining to the tenants that they needed proper access. Then if they won't do anything, I'll report them to the Council as well. Happy days!
  • Options
    technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My two cents which I'm sure will upset the fluffy wuffies......

1. Dropped curb - no excuse, do NOT park across it.

2. People whose front garden has been paved over to make way for a "driveway" that can barely fit an onld style mini on it and has no dropped curb.

Note to people in above case. The pavement and road outside your house does not belong to you. No if's or but's, its not your land. Fact. Get over it.

Whilst it may be "rude" to park across it any road tax payer has a right to park there. Ask them nicely to move if you must but don't expect any favours if you go in f'ing and blinding :rolleyes:
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum had to pick me up from school once she stopped just accross (not on but her car was jutting over a drive) we get in the car next thing we know some ederly man is yelling at my mum fing and blinding telling her to move her car from his drive.

Inconsiderate parking by parents is the number issue we have with neighbours at my kids school. Honestly how difficult is it to park 1 minute walk away ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not so bothered about the drive (it is a dropped kerb with a crossing, that we paid for, but it's not on our land). I'd definitely go for the stronger angle of them having to drive across the verge and pavement, which they can't avoid doing. Guy along the road was warned for doing the same thing and hasn't offended again since. I doubt the tenants will pay for a crossing, and the landlord certainly won't.

I'll contact the letting agent if the parking thing continues and point out that it's partly their fault for not explaining to the tenants that they needed proper access. Then if they won't do anything, I'll report them to the Council as well. Happy days!

Contacted the letting agent today, they were very apologetic and said they'd tactfully mention it to the tenant, so fingers crossed. Local council (Harrow) were as useless as a chocolate teapot - it's impossible to talk to anyone on the phone, as they have what they term a "fault reporting service" (stops any of their Officers being upset by nasty callers, I suppose), and that involves giving all your personal details with no idea of what they'll pass on, so I gave up on that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Other issues now include people using your drive as a car park.

This is rife near airports, people will find an empty drive and park there, then come back a couple of weeks later for their car.

Some scrap dealers will remove them for you
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Other issues now include people using your drive as a car park.

I've seen this happen near me when there are school fetes on, etc., I can't understand how people could do it. Then when you complain about it, you get a mouthful of abuse! Unbelievable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    I've seen this happen near me when there are school fetes on, etc., I can't understand how people could do it. Then when you complain about it, you get a mouthful of abuse! Unbelievable.

Don't give them a chance call your local scrap yard