Will the Icelandic volcano disrupt air travel in the UK? (Merged)

Comments

• Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    If this continues for much longer, how long before airlines come running to governments for bailouts? I have a feeling some airlines will not survive this.

The boss of Ryanair grovelling and begging the government for help, that would be a sight worth seeing.
  • cheesy_pastycheesy_pasty Posts: 4,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Double B wrote: »
    Icelandic geologists say that the volcano seems to have slowed down the eruption but something HUGE is building in the magma chamber. They don't know whether its gearing up for yet another huge explosion of if its an indication that pressure is gearing toward Katla. They're keeping a close eye on the situation.

Looking at a live feed, there appears to be little or no plumes of anything escaping the volcano. Calm before the storm perhaps?
  • tommyd1258tommyd1258 Posts: 6,923
    Forum Member
    Double B wrote: »
    Icelandic geologists say that the volcano seems to have slowed down the eruption but something HUGE is building in the magma chamber. They don't know whether its gearing up for yet another huge explosion of if its an indication that pressure is gearing toward Katla. They're keeping a close eye on the situation.

Oh Dear. And the weather is terrible so we can't even see the flipping thing any more.
  • BrolacBrolac Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    Sorry but this is worth repeating as it's been overlooked:

Why don't they just tell us about the NATO exercises going on, instead of this gimongous volcanic invisible cloud stuff?

http://defpro.com/news/details/14544/

It's really distressing to see so many people being affected by this massive grounding involving at least 23 countries!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The latest advisory from the MET shows an improving picture (at last).
    NATS has also advised Manchester that the airport could be open for operations as early as 7:00 tomorrow until at least 18:00 (possibly for just trans-atlantic travel however).

Also an Air France aircraft has not long departed Charles de Gaulle in Paris on a test flight of their own.

Edit: Large plume just escaped the volcano; yet doesn't appear to be going too far...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    Looking at a live feed, there appears to be little or no plumes of anything escaping the volcano. Calm before the storm perhaps?

Sounds like it's not done underground yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like it's not done underground yet.

Well there was just a show up top so to speak....

Mother nature loves to mess with us :p
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Edit: Large plume just escaped the volcano; yet doesn't appear to be going too far...

Looking at the webcam right now, it looks quite white, which I think is a good thing- means it's mainly steam and not ash.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get the mentality of the airlines to be honest. A friend of mine is on their way back from Gatwick having had their transatlantic flight cancelled. Of course they had expected the worst and were happy enough to be rescheduled at a later date and made that perfectly clear. Even had the flight gone out, someone else could have taken the seats and be where they need to be and their hardship over.

However, the airline insisted they travel to the airport to see if their flight was departing or not, with all the pain in the ass that is to get to and from the airport. This just seems bloody ridiculous to me. Is the airlines objective to piss as many people off as possible?

With logistics like that, I'm not sure the airlines are fit for the transportation of humans. Mindless.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    Looking at the webcam right now, it looks quite white, which I think is a good thing- means it's mainly steam and not ash.

There was some dark grey to black plumes. However, that darn weather system is about to make it impossible to see anything :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Which seems to go along with the reports that said about more tremors and activity underground and a tad quiter above ground.

There's still a load of ice to get through though, only 10% has been got through by the volcano in what, a few days?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    I have a feeling some airlines will not survive this.

I hope Flybe isn't one of them seeing as I'm meant to be flying to Hannover with them at the end of August...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have you got the url of the webcam please? I had it but lost it :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a bad feeling this is only going to get really nasty...

But I still feel air travel may still start up, and will just have to work around it. Manchester is still slated to re-open tomorrow morning.
    I hope Flybe isn't one of them seeing as I'm meant to be flying to Hannover with them at the end of August...

Flybe is one of the more profitable airlines in the UK. They are probably the least likely to go under. I'm due to fly with Flybe on Tuesday...but that's probably not going to happen :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    poppitypop wrote: »

http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-valahnjuk/
  • JonPaulWildJonPaulWild Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even though UK/Europe's grounded, you have to admit the footage of the volcano shown on Sky News is stunning! Ive never seen anything like it before..brilliant pictures especially with the lightning as well.

The images are stunning. Shows how amazing this planet can be, and even this volcano eruption is really not that massive compared to previous eruption's in Earth's history.

I loved seeing the lightening. Never knew that was possible before and was like it was from a movie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    What is US law in terms of rights of assistance?

My parents are stuck in New York, but can't afford to stay for an extended period of time.
  • billlythekidbilllythekid Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
    poppitypop wrote: »

http://www.mulakot.net/images/myndavelar/14flugv.jpg

Just keep refreshing the page:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nice lawns. Hardly a sign of moss there at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah i'm still using that one. Can't see much at the moment, but I did spot a few dark plumes about 10-15 minutes ago. However, it was very quiet earlier this morning.
    Forum Member
    I have a bad feeling this is only going to get really nasty...

But I still feel air travel may still start up, and will just have to work around it. Manchester is still slated to re-open tomorrow morning.

Flybe is one of the more profitable airlines in the UK. They are probably the least likely to go under. I'm due to fly with Flybe on Tuesday...but that's probably not going to happen :p

Remember Dan-Air? They were around for a long time and seemed solid, they didn't survive though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    Remember Dan-Air? They were around for a long time and seemed solid, they didn't survive though.

They were absorbed into British Airways. They had problems with the ever growing charter airline business. They tried to compete but couldn't.
    I think that is a different matter compared to what we're dealing with here though.
    Forum Member
    They were absorbed into British Airways. They had problems with the ever growing charter airline business. They tried to compete but couldn't.
    I think that is a different matter compared to what we're dealing with here though.

True, I was just wondering how financially sound some of these airlines really are?
  • billlythekidbilllythekid Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
    Yeah i'm still using that one. Can't see much at the moment, but I did spot a few dark plumes about 10-15 minutes ago. However, it was very quiet earlier this morning.
    ardwark wrote: »
    Nice lawns. Hardly a sign of moss there at all.

Just got really nice on there now you can see the mountains:)
  • BrolacBrolac Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    Widely speculated (among other timings) that this may be clear enough by midweek to resume flying.

The NATO excercises are stated to end on the 22nd of April.

:rolleyes:

Coupled with the obvious chaos it's created,there is the already stated economic airline crisis,with jobs going by the thousands I expect. Most airlines will be forced into further merges, or total closure.
    I don't expect there will be very many cheap flights
    available eventually.

Shame really.