Options

Taking shoes off when entering someone's house

Comments

• Options
    LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just think it's on a par with not taking a visitor's coat, or not offering refreshment, or leaving the TV on.

If someone comes to my house it's my duty to make them feel at home. Bossing them about by telling them what they can wear on their feet, when they may not be happy about removing shoes is rude.

Of course people will probably say yes, and take their shoes off, but how do they really feel?

I would take mine off if asked, but would feel as if I wasn't welcome - that the host would rather sit and look at their pale, clean carpet than talk to me.

And I do have plantar fasciitis, which means that walking in bare feet gives me a pain in the heel.

So the next time anyone asks a visitor to remove shoes, give a moments thought to the possibility that, even though they seem OK with it, they might not be really.

I visit a friend and his girlfriend in their new home and they asked me to remove my shoes - in order to keep their cream carpet clean. I obliged but under friendly protest. To be honest I felt like walking out, but perhaps it's petty to fall out over something trivial. The same could be said the other way round though - it's a double edged sword. They also do leave the TV on which I find annoying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's funny, because the only time I ever took my shoes off was at a party. (in this country) Everybody took theirs off, so I had to do the same. I felt awkward walking about shoeless,
    especially as I'd made the effort to dress up.

Do other people do the same at parties.?

Perhaps it different for women, who tend to wera shoes that match their outift - of course men do the same to an extent. I would feel daft as a brush walking around at a party with out shoes.

Again what if someone drops a glass and cuts their foot open bleeding on the carpet that the owner was wishing to keep clean!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liparus wrote: »
    Again what if someone drops a glass and cuts their foot open bleeding on the carpet that the owner was wishing to keep clean!

lol, do you work in health and safety risk assessment? ;)
  • Options
    IRITALIAIRITALIA Posts: 6,508
    Forum Member
    All the floors on my house are antique terrazza and on a rainy day I so wish I could ask people to take their shoes off when they call. Of course I never have and don't think I ever would so it has to be out with the old mop afterwards.
    Don't know if anyone has mentioned already but I have been told you can buy boxes of disposable shoe covers and they are not too expensive.
    Maybe people might also be offended when asked to slip a pair of those on as well? :confused::)
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IRITALIA wrote: »
    All the floors on my house are antique terrazza and on a rainy day I so wish I could ask people to take their shoes off when they call. Of course I never have and don't think I ever would so it has to be out with the old mop afterwards.
    Don't know if anyone has mentioned already but I have been told you can buy boxes of disposable shoe covers and they are not too expensive.
    Maybe people might also be offended when asked to slip a pair of those on as well? :confused::)

Don't you have a door mat? Genuine question, btw, not being rude. :)
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps it different for women, who tend to wera shoes that match their outift - of course men do the same to an extent. I would feel daft as a brush walking around at a party with out shoes.

I once visited a museum abroad, where we had to wear funny felt covers over our shoes, and then we shuffled along the lovely parquet floor, polishing it at the same time, whilst admiring the exhibits.:p
  • Options
    A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    If I asked a guest to remove their shoes upon entering my house I would provide a tidy storage space for their shoes and provide them with slippers.
  • Options
    IRITALIAIRITALIA Posts: 6,508
    Forum Member
    Don't you have a door mat? Genuine question, btw, not being rude. :)

Oh yes, 4 to be exact! Don't seem get all that wet and mud off though. Maybe I should make a rule of a minimum of ten wipes per shoe. ;):D
  • Options
    wildmovieguywildmovieguy Posts: 8,342
    Forum Member
    What if they have smelly feet?
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    I am disabled and getting down on the floor to clean up someone else's mess is not always an option.

If people remove their shoes, then there's no problem.

I fail to see why anyone would be so disrespectful as to not take their shoes off - I always did it without being asked.
    But if getting down on the floor to clean is a problem, how come constantly putting your shoes on and off is OK? You need to bend down for that too, don't you? (Genuine question, not arsiness!) What if people had disabilities which made that difficult for them, or foot issues like various people on this thread have mentioned?

I've seen this debate before, and there's all sorts of stuff I hadn't considered, eg that people might be embarrassed by holey socks, patched shoes etc. But I've always tended to be in the middle anyway - taking your shoes off to me is a sign of comfort and intimacy. So I take them off straight away at good friends' houses, or my parents', but I wouldn't dream of immediately taking them off at a colleague's house or something.

Actually, there's a point. All the people who are worried about the cleanliness aspect, and how horrible it is to have particles of nasty things in your house - what do you do in your workplace? Or, you know, doctors' waiting rooms, shops, pretty much everywhere else that you go in public. Do you worry about how dirty everything is all the time, or do you think everyone should take their shoes off at the door of the office?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh yes, 4 to be exact! Don't seem get all that wet and mud off though. Maybe I should make a rule of a minimum of ten wipes per shoe. ;):D

I have a rough plastic mat outside the front door, then another mat inside the door (in the vestibule) and one at the end of the hall. This seems to cover everything.

I admit my vestibule carpet is a bit grubby - but that's me, coming in from gardening.

I just accept that it's a home, not a showhouse, and it's going to look a mess sometimes, if people are living there and doing things. You can't always be thinking about how the house looks!

All my best friends have messy houses. I can't abide going into a house where everything is pristine. I immediately think I'm going to spill something or break something.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never grew up being asked to take my shoes off but thats probably because my parents always have cats and dogs so it would seem rude since the guests shoes are probably cleaner than the pets paws. The first time I was ever asked to take my shoes off was when a friend of mine move into a new appartment with a cream carpet and it didn't bother me.

I noticed in Canada though we have to take our shoes off in everyones house, probably due to their long winters with lots of snow and dry dust in the summer. That doesn't bother me either because I'm quite used to it now. However, I did learn quite quickly not to bother putting fancy shoes on because nobody would see them with the outfit and I could get away with just wearing whatever was comfy.

My only complaint about the taking shoes off thing is if there is nowhere to sit while putting the shoes back on as I end up doing some silly dance in the doorway trying to balance. Oh and I ended up getting married with no shoes on - but at least you can't tell in the pics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    michael,76 wrote: »
    lol, do you work in health and safety risk assessment? ;)

Ha, no. Infact I'm against all this health and safety culture. Common sense is more than enough to see people through.

Maybe Mitchell & Webb or Armstrong & Miller could do a sketch using the scenario I gave above. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scrappy555 wrote: »
    I never grew up being asked to take my shoes off but thats probably because my parents always have cats and dogs so it would seem rude since the guests shoes are probably cleaner than the pets paws. The first time I was ever asked to take my shoes off was when a friend of mine move into a new appartment with a cream carpet and it didn't bother me.

My only complaint about the taking shoes off thing is if there is nowhere to sit while putting the shoes back on as I end up doing some silly dance in the doorway trying to balance.

I am similar. Brought up and still living in an environment with animals and having nearby relatives plus neighbours who were the same.

And yes the silly dance I also end up performing. If only I could get on stage and do it!
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Doormats are OK for getting the worst off but giving your shoes a quick wipe on one before traipsing around your house is a bit like going to the lav and wiping your hands on a towel without washing them first. Your hands will look dry and clean enough but they'll be riddled with pissy poo germs just like shoes are after walking on pavements.
    I use my doormat all the time when I'm in and out from the kitchen to the garden rather than take my shoes off every five minutes but that floor gets mopped regularly, you can't mop your carpet every day so shoes are a no go in my living room.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the moral of this thread should be, purchase a wood/laminate floor and save yourself the trouble of obsessing about keeping it clean - and save us the trouble of taking our shoes on and off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is everyone so scared of "germs" ?
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    It's rude not to take your shoes off in someone else's house.

I used to have a job collecting insurance money. If I took my shoes off at every call, I would have had to work an extra 2 hours each day:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is everyone so scared of "germs" ?

The trouble is even if people don't allow shoes on carpets and clean their carpets regulary they're still full of dust, germs, mites etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had a brand new (expensive) cream carpet laid when we moved in so our place is strictly no shoes...

I feel bad asking my OH's Dad or our little nephews to remove their shoes but I still do it. I also feel wierd not taking my shoes off when I go into someones house now :p

We had a new kitchen put in and I made the company put cordex down and protect the carpet for the route workemen would be using...

Shame our bloody cat has vommed on the carpet once a week since we had it laid... :eek: :eek:

If a police officer came to your house for example for an interview and he was wearing those shin high lace up boots would you insist he take them off first? Might be a bit awkward if he gets an emergency call :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The trouble is even if people don't allow shoes on carpets and clean their carpets regulary they're still full of dust, germs, mites etc.

Exactly. There are probably as many germs etc on your hands as on your shoes. Do people ask visitors to wash their hands before they come in?
  • Options
    glasgow67glasgow67 Posts: 6,323
    Forum Member
    What a weird thread lol

It depends who's house, how long I will be there and what I will be doing in their house, in my house theres no carpets so nobody has to but some people do its not a problem either way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It strikes me that the people who don't take their shoes off, are the most on the offensive, and the most belligerent on this thread.
    Live and let live I say. Why are you getting so worked up that some people and their friends/family take their shoes off when entering houses. Presumably your friends/family don't do so, and don't require you to. So what is the problem ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's amazing we're not all dead!

It appears your feet mostly are ;)
    On a more important note, to myself anyway, not only do I have cream carpets, I also have a toddler who enjoy romping and crawling around on the floor, and seems to stick everything in his mouth.
    Hence I prefer people not to bring street dirt into the house.
    Mind you, I even wipe the cats feet before they come in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always do. But I don't ask people to take their shoes off in my house much as I would like them to.