Options

Anyone use the internet in the 90's?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Late 80's at work where we had a dial up service. Had to pay a massive subscription for a research site. Can't remember the name but it was fab! First real internet was 1990.
    God I feel old.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    University spoilt me till broadband came along as well, everyone ran Ratio FTPs in their bedroom and shared movies and mp3s and the first person on my course who I gave my email too sent me a video of japscat. In some ways the internet has changed a lot and in other ways it remained exactly the same.

I suppose the main changes with the internet are the connection speeds (ie broadband), wider availability (including smartphones and 3G dongles!) and the rise of big name sites like Youtube, Facebook and Google.
  • Options
    LurkalotLurkalot Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used internet cafes from about 95 and internet at home in 98 or 99 iirc and I am still using my first ever e-mail address although for some reason I cant send with it anymore but still receive stuff sent to it, I bought my first mobile phone in 99 and am still using the same number is that sad or normal ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lurkalot wrote: »
    Used internet cafes from about 95 and internet at home in 98 or 99 iirc and I am still using my first ever e-mail address although for some reason I cant send with it anymore but still receive stuff sent to it, I bought my first mobile phone in 99 and am still using the same number is that sad or normal ?

When you leave an ISP, some let you continue to receive emails but not to send; that's probably the reason.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, in the late 90's we had a Netstation to use the net on the family TV. Before that we had email on a Commodore 64 with Compuserve, one of the few ISPs in existence.

Friday nights as a child were glorious; homework > internet > Cartoon Network > WCW Monday Nitro > bed.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know about anyone else, but I do lament the reduction in personal pages that people used to make on the likes of Geocities, or through their own providers. The likes of Facebook groups, free phpBB and such like have killed off a lot of these - a little bit like how supermarkets take over from corner shops.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know about anyone else, but I do lament the reduction in personal pages that people used to make on the likes of Geocities, or through their own providers. The likes of Facebook groups, free phpBB and such like have killed off a lot of these - a little bit like how supermarkets take over from corner shops.

I remember that era well, you couldn't move for Geocities, Angelfire, Tripod or Fortune City sites. All with dodgy animated graphics and if the web designer was super talented, a 3 second midi audio file on constant loop.
  • Options
    LurkalotLurkalot Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you leave an ISP, some let you continue to receive emails but not to send; that's probably the reason.

Ah ok cheers :)
  • Options
    SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At home - Demon internet in 1995.

Prior to that (late 80's) I was using telnet on the then internet.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ezenden wrote: »
    I remember that era well, you couldn't move for Geocities, Angelfire, Tripod or Fortune City sites. All with dodgy animated graphics and if the web designer was super talented, a 3 second midi audio file on constant loop.

:D:D:D

http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/ink/659/smiles.htm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    We first got it when I was 8 in 1996. The PC was my older brothers 18th birthday present along with the internet. If I remember correctly, PC's back then were pushing the £1,500- £2,000 mark. Only memories I have from it was listening to wrestlers theme tunes online :rolleyes: they was only 30 second snippets and took around 10 minutes to load.

After a few years we moved and got rid of it, then signed back up to AOL in 2002 when I got my own PC. They was much cheaper now and I even constructed my own first PC at the age 14 using my birthday money buying all the parts separately. We had dial up at first but after a month we got a good deal to switch to broadband, I was so excited when the DSL modem arrived.

Does anyone remember the free 30 day trials of the internet that the supermarkets had? They was on a floppy disc, similar to how mobile top ups are now.
  • Options
    bodderzbodderz Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was late 90s for me, started on AOL, then Supanet, Tesco Net, Tiscali, and now on Talktalk, which of course is free with your phone contract, how times have changed!

Did anyone else do the same as me and purposely use those 30 day's free trials to get as much free internet as possible?

Edit MrJono got there before me! I used about 10 different isp's discs over a space of a year :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    bodderz wrote: »
    Did anyone else do the same as me and purposely buy those 30 day's free trials to get as much free internet as possible?

When we came away from BT in around 1997-98 we used to do that until we ran out of ISP's (didn't want to try the same one twice)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bodderz wrote: »
    Was late 90s for me, started on AOL, then Supanet, Tesco Net, Tiscali, and now on Talktalk, which of course is free with your phone contract, how times have changed!

Did anyone else do the same as me and purposely use those 30 day's free trials to get as much free internet as possible?

Edit MrJono got there before me! I used about 10 different isp's discs over a space of a year :D

Yep, when i got my own PC, AOL 30 day trials were my saviour. Horrible for online gaming though.

When i got a proper permanent ISP, i seem to remember you could only be online for about 60 minutes at a time. You'd automatically be disconnected, to prevent overuse of their service. As i was addicted to Everquest, Day of Defeat and Team Fortress Classic, it wasn't exactly convenient.

Madasafish and Red Hot Ant are the two ISPs i remember in particular.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whe I was still on dial-up, somewhere I worked had an ISDN connection, so I bought an Iomega Zip drive (remember them?) and downloaded loads of music etc onto it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No animated graphics sadly; http://www.warriorstavern.8k.com/

About a decade later and it still hasn't returned. Maybe i ought to get a move on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whe I was still on dial-up, somewhere I worked had an ISDN connection, so I bought an Iomega Zip drive (remember them?) and downloaded loads of music etc onto it.

Yeah, i also remember how amazing it was to be able to play a DVD on your PC and not only did it need a £100+ drive, but a DVD decoder card too. Then "special" software.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A vote here for dial-up into the academic JANET network from the late 80s and then going on to use telnet connection to various provider gateways, pine for email and lynx for 'browsing' and embryonic 'web' services.

If memory serves me well, CityScape (later bought by Demon) was my first 'internet' provider in the early/mid 90s.

My mate was one of those that sold a domain name for a fortune before web-boom companies worked out that URLs were fundamentally worthless, and in any case, could later be legally challenged.

Happy days!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 1980s weren't long after the 1960s and that wasn't long after the second world war so I doubt if computers had even been invented then. I think computers started in the 1990s and then Google invented the internet which is where we are now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MagiGirl wrote: »
    The 1980s weren't long after the 1960s and that wasn't long after the second world war so I doubt if computers had even been invented then. I think computers started in the 1990s.

thank you alan sugar :rolleyes:
  • Options
    JethroUKJethroUK Posts: 6,107
    Forum Member
    Look at the size of this web address for the BBC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM_ruBwYGtg&feature=related

Did you read what someone commented on You Tube

" It'll never catch on"

:D:D:D:D:D

I haven't laughed so much in ages
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    MagiGirl wrote: »
    The 1980s weren't long after the 1960s and that wasn't long after the second world war so I doubt if computers had even been invented then. I think computers started in the 1990s and then Google invented the internet which is where we are now.

Sooo not the case!:D
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    Yeah I was addicted to chat rooms in the early 90s, you couldn't get me off the PC! :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    I bought a pc and signed up with Compuserve in late-96. The chat was great. I met some women who were looking for uncomplicated sex (I met two in person, slept with one, then decided it wasn't for me), and then met the wonderful lady who eventually became my wife. I also remember chatting with an American woman as news of Princess Diana's fatal car crash first came through (courtesy of the brilliant Mike Dicken on Talk Radio), It felt like I was breaking the news to America!