Cameras - totally confused myself

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
Forum Member
I'm looking for a new camera but looking online has pretty much confused me with everything that's on offer. I wondered if anyone had any recommendations.

I'm looking for a balance between size and cost and good quality photos. I'd like something that takes good photos in low light if possible and has a good auto mode.

My current camera is 12mp and 10x optical zoom. I've read that bridge cameras generally don't have very big sensors so aren't much better quality than a compact? I'd like a fairly big optical zoom but some cameras I've looked at have reviews saying image stabilisation at high zoom is rubbish.

I have no idea if I need/want a viewfinder. Is it important?

Budget is flexible, I'm looking to see what's on offer for what sort of prices. I've looked at ones around the £100-£200 mark, an I going to find they're not much better than my current camera?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments

• USIMUSIM Posts: 586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is your current camera?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    It's a Casio Exilim EH-X5.
  • dmpdmp Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go to a camera shop and have a look at different types and models, also handle them as well as you may find some don't fit into your hand.
    Dave
  • Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a cracking camera...it has a good size sensor and you can buy different lenses for it.
    Shop around for prices, but this has a 2 year warranty.
    http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/cameras/digital-cameras/compact-system-cameras/sony-alpha-5000-compact-system-camera-with-16-50-mm-f-3-5-5-6-oss-zoom-lens-21962955-pdt.html#cat-0

Check out other CSC cameras they are pretty good.
    Forum Member
    dmp wrote: »
    Go to a camera shop and have a look at different types and models, also handle them as well as you may find some don't fit into your hand.
    Dave

Thanks, I think my issue is I don't know what I'm looking for at all. I understand megapixels and optical zoom but had never really considered sensor size or anything else. So I'm not sure what I'm looking for in terms of spec for a camera that takes good quality pictures.
    Waj_100 wrote: »
    This is a cracking camera...it has a good size sensor and you can buy different lenses for it.
    Shop around for prices, but this has a 2 year warranty.
    http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/cameras/digital-cameras/compact-system-cameras/sony-alpha-5000-compact-system-camera-with-16-50-mm-f-3-5-5-6-oss-zoom-lens-21962955-pdt.html#cat-0

Check out other CSC cameras they are pretty good.

Thanks, I'll have a look at that.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's wrong with the exilim. I doubt a bridge camera will be much better if at all.
    Forum Member
    What's wrong with the exilim. I doubt a bridge camera will be much better if at all.

I've lost the charger for it and just looking to maybe upgrade really. I'd like something I could start to learn to play with settings etc. if I can find one good enough to justify the higher price. It also doesn't take very good pictures in low light and seems to struggle to focus.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane_Smith wrote: »
    I've lost the charger for it and just looking to maybe upgrade really. I'd like something I could start to learn to play with settings etc. if I can find one good enough to justify the higher price. It also doesn't take very good pictures in low light and seems to struggle to focus.

If you want to start playing with setting then are you considering an entry level DLSR ?
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I think my issue is I don't know what I'm looking for at all. I understand megapixels and optical zoom but had never really considered sensor size or anything else. So I'm not sure what I'm looking for in terms of spec for a camera that takes good quality pictures.

If you don't really understand all the specs, what they mean, and what they do, you'd be better off trying to learn a bit more about photography. Get a beginners book which will enable you to learn about aperture, shutter and ISO, and their relationship to each other and how they affect your photos - for example which of these you would adjust for photos in low light.

Once you've had a read of the basics, you'll be in a better position to take a decision about buying a camera which is suitable for your needs. Everyone's requirements are different, and asking for recommendations here is just as likely to confuse you more than help you.

Good luck!
    Forum Member
    If you don't really understand all the specs, what they mean, and what they do, you'd be better off trying to learn a bit more about photography. Get a beginners book which will enable you to learn about aperture, shutter and ISO, and their relationship to each other and how they affect your photos - for example which of these you would adjust for photos in low light.

Once you've had a read of the basics, you'll be in a better position to take a decision about buying a camera which is suitable for your needs. Everyone's requirements are different, and asking for recommendations here is just as likely to confuse you more than help you.

Good luck!

Thanks! It's not so much that I don't know what they mean (I have a basic knowledge of ISO, shutter speed etc) but that I've simply confused myself about the enormous variety of cameras on offer!

I think what I want is a compact system camera and something with a decent auto setting I can use initially (I go on holiday soon and currently have no working camera other than my phone) but can start to use different settings after that. But they're expensive and obviously a considered purchase and I'm wary of buying an expensive camera that's really better than I 'need' to take on holiday.
  • AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is what I've been looking at to upgrade to from my Canon IXUS:

Canon PowerShot SX510 HS Camera
  • AmberPandaAmberPanda Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    About two months ago I decided to buy a new camera.
    I went to the Sony shop in Plymouth and bought a Sony DSC-WX350, I have surprised myself at how well I have got on with it.
    It took me a while to work out that the battery and card went into the same slot but once done I was away. :D
    I am going to Sweden next week so will have a practice with the camera then.
    Want to be proficient with it before I go on safari in October.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A compact system camera is essentially a mini DSLR - the bodies and lenses are slightly smaller, but you're still carrying multiple lenses to cover different things. If I'm just going on a regular beach/sightseeing holiday, I tend to leave my DSLR and lenses at home and take a high end compact, shoot in RAW and edit the photos when I get home. I only take the full kit if I'm specifically doing something on holiday which requires a zoom lens, sports, or night photography.

A bridge camera would give you zoom plus a reasonable size aperture and sensor. It really depends on what you think you're likely to take pictures of whilst you're away.

If you're set on a CSC, then the Panasonic Lumix range are very good and have a wide range of lenses available to suit most uses and budgets.
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    If you're set on a CSC, then the Panasonic Lumix range are very good and have a wide range of lenses available to suit most uses and budgets.

See here. Prices vary enormously and this website gives you the price of everything.
  • Mountain_RunnerMountain_Runner Posts: 1,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking for a new camera but looking online has pretty much confused me with everything that's on offer. I wondered if anyone had any recommendations.

I'm looking for a balance between size and cost and good quality photos. I'd like something that takes good photos in low light if possible and has a good auto mode.

My current camera is 12mp and 10x optical zoom. I've read that bridge cameras generally don't have very big sensors so aren't much better quality than a compact? I'd like a fairly big optical zoom but some cameras I've looked at have reviews saying image stabilisation at high zoom is rubbish.

I have no idea if I need/want a viewfinder. Is it important?

Budget is flexible, I'm looking to see what's on offer for what sort of prices. I've looked at ones around the £100-£200 mark, an I going to find they're not much better than my current camera?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Fuji fine pix are good. But image tends to be blueish and hazy.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not good then?
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

Doesn't sound very good :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think you're over generalising. Maybe the cheap Finepix compacts aren't that good, but Fuji's top end CSC and X series cameras are fantastic and take beautiful images. One of the world's most well known camera authorities, Ken Rockwell, carries a Fuji X100T.
  • c4ll3mwc4ll3mw Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a finepix HS20 it's a fantastic camera and was a great learning tool before I moved onto my SLR (Nikon D700).

The Nikon picture quality knocks spots off the HS20 however I find the HS20 much more user friendly and convenient, I'm also not worried about breaking it like I am the Nikon.

In all honesty the Nikon is wasted on me as I'm not a good enough photographer! I thought better camera would equal better photos and though the Nikon is sharper I don't 'enjoy' it as much.

Will probably sell it in the near future and carry on using the HS20.
  • soma_soma_ Posts: 6,024
    Forum Member
    Try panasonic lumix tz30 / 35 / 40 ( ~ £100 - £150-ish) these have leica lenses or the tz55 (from £100 to £130-ish - currys/pcworld plus others) which doesnt. also currently on offer is canon sx 280 (~ £100 - currys/pcworld).

These all give you enough manual control if you want it but also have full auto too. Theyre compact too -pocketable- with around 20x optical zoom.

Others to look out for are the sony hx 50v / hx 60 with good reviews similar prices to the above and 30x optical zoom.

I have a tz 40. excellent camera for my use, I'd have been equally happy with the canon or sony. ebay is always worth a look.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

re the blueish tint that just requires the correct white balance setting.