Am I the only one who thinks Coronation Street is woeful at the moment?

Release MeRelease Me Posts: 3,666
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Since PC took over Corrie has changed for the worse and everything about it makes me feel this guy doesn't know what he's doing. The storylines are poor I don't care about Kevin and Sally's daughter running away with her girlfriend and the writing has gone down hill fast and poor characters such as thug Windass,Graham,Anna,Eddie and Natasha are in the spotlight and just everything about corrie at the moment isn't great.

Comments

• PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, it's just you, Kim Crowther's reign was absolute shite and I wont miss it

Though tonights episodes were quite meh, but every soap has an episode that is off every now and again
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    Hopefully it is just you, Corrie is going through a renaissance at the moment, great plots, great acting and great ratings love it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also OP, the Windass family are one of the strongest families, especially once Uncle Len went away, Natasha is a great character, and Graeme has hardly been rammed down our throats, he's just been missing for a month
  • daz_fdaz_f Posts: 6,642
    Forum Member
    yeah sorr its just you

Corrie is good at last and getting better

Sophie and Sian s\l is fab
  • Release MeRelease Me Posts: 3,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it's just you, Kim Crowther's reign was absolute shite and I wont miss it

Though tonights episodes were quite meh, but every soap has an episode that is off every now and again

DId you see This Morning yesterday morning? Sharon Marshall said the main candidates for the Tram crash would be
    Rita,Norris,Ashley,Claire,Dev and Trevor and meetings took place and those were the ones who might die!

Don't think many fans would be happy if two of those died.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The same writers are working on the show as before. The quality of the scripts is no different.

There have been some changes though. Storylines seem to involve more characters and are intertwined a bit. Three seemingly separate storylines - Roy and Hayley's wedding, Aadi's injury, Sophie and Sian's relationship - have all had some overlap and have been more interesting as a result. Characters are interacting with others instead of being stuck in their own little boxes.

I'm not sure how you can say 'Thug Windass' (I hate these bitchy names given to characters on this forum anyway) is in the spotlight - he's hardly been in it this year. To a lesser extent, the same is true of Anna and Eddie. Perhaps they'll be getting more screen time now, but that's how it works with a soap. Characters move in and out of focus.

You mentioned Graeme too. Before tonight, he's not been in it for weeks and weeks. And yes, Natasha has a big storyline now, but she's been in the background for virtually her entire tenure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In response to the tram crash victim speculation, I think there's definitely going to be talk around:
    Ashley, Claire and Trevor, as they've all been axed

But I think there's no chance of:
    Rita, Norris or Dev being killed off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wanna know why those three characters were mentioned?
    Rita, Dev and Norris work right next to the tramline

Oh, and Trevor leaves very soon, sounds like Sharon has been told to throw some names out there

The public isn't meant to know about the Joinery bar yet which will claim most of the victims
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly, those names are based upon usual proximity. In fact, I'm going to abandon spoiler tags now because it makes the thread hard to read, and it's pure speculation anyway.

My bet is that despite working very close by, Rita, Norris and Dev won't be victims of the disaster. I don't think there's any chance of it at all. Anyway, I think the crash is likely to happen in the evening after the Kabin has shut up shop. Perhaps Molly will be working in Dev's shop at the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aye and Rita and Norris are usually in the Rovers at that time anyway
  • Adam BartonAdam Barton Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just think you like to moan.

The episode of Hayley and Roys wedding and the rest that have followed have been pretty good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just think you like to moan.

The episode of Hayley and Roys wedding and the rest that have followed have been pretty good.

Not in my eyes it hasn't.

Think since Blanche left its never been the same. Though the Ken and his two sons storyline is the only thing I like about the show at the moment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Release Me wrote: »
    Think since Blanche left its never been the same.

I can't understand this.

The death of Maggie Jones was horrible, and Blanche was a fantastic character whose comedy timing and scathing put-downs will be missed. But she was never one of the most used characters, and much as her death was sad, the programme hasn't changed significantly because of the loss of her character.
  • DDRickyDDDDRickyDD Posts: 5,249
    Forum Member
    I totally agree with you. Coronation Street is the worst it's been for a long time now. Too many pointless, uninteresting characters (Nick, Carla, etc) and too many silly storylines (That Roy and Hayley wedding for example).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not in my eyes it hasn't.

Think since Blanche left its never been the same. Though the Ken and his two sons storyline is the only thing I like about the show at the moment.

I swear in the episode thread for the wedding you praised Phil Collinson for the storyline and episode. Funny :o

And yes, it's sad that Blanche is dead, but the show is still good without her
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corrie was a lot worse at the start of the year and the back end of 2009 when we had to sit through MONTHS of Joe and his constipated face
  • Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DId you see This Morning yesterday morning? Sharon Marshall said the main candidates for the Tram crash would be
    Rita,Norris,Ashley,Claire,Dev and Trevor and meetings took place and those were the ones who might die!

Don't think many fans would be happy if two of those died.
    I saw This Morning, and it was just pure blind speculation as far as I could tell. The characters that were on the screen were just a few of those already announced to be leaving (Jack, Claire, Ashley) or work near the crash site (Rita, Norris, Mary, Dev). Trev wasn't even mentioned, I'm not sure we were watching the same programme :confused:

It was certainly not even hinting towards who the victims actually were. The only information she did give out is that some have not yet been announced to be leaving and more contract meetings were taking place, so it sounds like more axings are yet to come.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's the big thing Phil apparently wanted to do when he came into the show, he thought there was too many characters sat around doing nothing, so he decided to cut down on the number of cast members
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I swear in the episode thread for the wedding you praised Phil Collinson for the storyline and episode. Funny :o

And yes, it's sad that Blanche is dead, but the show is still good without her

Without her one liners it doesn't feel the same especially in the Barlow's household. His ideas for the show fill me with dread and before anyone comes out with the old chestnut "don't like it, don't watch it" I've been watching for a number of years and my video's on you tube will prove that. :p

I don't know why it bothered people so much that Rita didn't talk to Sally or Eileen doesn't get storylines because its all false really because she's had plenty. Have people forgotten the storyline when she found out her dad went out with her school friend? I'm going off track now but hopefully you get my drift.

The tram crash at Christmas feels like a ratings boost for the show and am not sure people want to sit down having their Christmas lunch and watching something like that happen.
  • missyaliciamissyalicia Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i wouldn't say it's woeful, but the other 2 big soaps are a little better at the moment. It is improving compared to a few months ago though.
  • hardylanehardylane Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The tram crash at Christmas feels like a ratings boost for the show and am not sure people want to sit down having their Christmas lunch and watching something like that happen.

Do you have your Xmas lunch at that time?

Yes, I'm sure people much prefer the screaming, swearing, family breakups, domestic abuse and murder that accompany EastEnders Xmas delights on an annual basis.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave up Eastenders a while ago as I thought watching two soaps was taking up too much of my time and in recent months although I have watched Corrie when I could, if I missed it I wasn't that bothered. I thought maybe I could wean myself off all soaps for good!

However recently I noticed friends talking about Coronation Street more and gave it another go and now I'm totally hooked again - it definitely has improved story lines and that great mix of drama, character and humour.
  • blatherskiteblatherskite Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The tram crash is for the anniversary, isn't it? Corrie's anniversary is December 9th, not at Christmas.
  • LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just in before a Corrie fan says that it is just an EE fan writing this. Nope. Release Me is a big Corrie fan, looking at his posts he prefers it too EE. Well just thought i'd get this in as there is always one.

Anyway i haven't watched Corrie in AGES. It stills seems as though it's still in that bad patch from a couple of years ago ...

edit, some people already did. :rolleyes:
    Can people ( a big Corrie fan in this case) not criticise it w/o some Corrie fan having to bring EE up. Who mentioned it?
  • blossom24blossom24 Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    I stopped watching corrie, after 15years, when the "joe and gail" storyline was going on and won't tune in again now that tracy barlow is coming back! crap actor crap character. Enough is enough I'll stick to eastenders.