Should BBC reporters in Chile be using soft toilet tissue at licence payer's expense?

iainiain Posts: 63,929
Forum Member
✭✭
i know i often disagree with articles in the Daily Mail about the BBC, but even i was shocked to learn yesterday that BBC reporters in Chile are using soft toilet tissue at our expense whilst in Chile reporting the story about the trapped miners.

this surely is a disgrace, and i for one am glad that the Daily Mail is bringing such shocking stories about BBC indulgence to light.

Iain

Comments

• mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree they should be using pages from the Mail, which are only slightly less able to absorb shit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    Daily mail :rolleyes::D:D:D:D
  • JamesBsheppardJamesBsheppard Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    The world must be such a good and happy place full of love, puppy's and peace, if this warranted a story in the Mail.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Used chilean bank notes are large, quite soft and that would be more costly than toilet tissue, so would probably be more likely.
  • JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    I have some sympathy. In my experience hard toilet paper isn't very good on the whole.
  • ramraiderukramraideruk Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    I agree they should be using pages from the Mail, which are only slightly less able to absorb shit.
    I think you'll find that the Daily Mail is completely saturated with sh*t as it is.:D
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was this the article?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1318790/BBC-sends-team-25-cover-Chilean-rescue-escape-shaft-expected-break-Saturday.html

Didn't see anything in there about toilet paper, but sending 20 people does seem a little excessive, especially as there is no British angle to the story as far as I am aware.
  • JayDee279JayDee279 Posts: 3,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All 900 of them, swanning around at our expense, should be sent, instead, to Salford for the rest of their lives, so as to accurately report on what it's like to have no contact with the real world.

They should send the BBC Sports Department.
  • Sven945Sven945 Posts: 4,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »

That's only because it's already fairly close to saturation point.
  • iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hendero wrote: »
    Was this the article?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1318790/BBC-sends-team-25-cover-Chilean-rescue-escape-shaft-expected-break-Saturday.html

Didn't see anything in there about toilet paper, but sending 20 people does seem a little excessive, especially as there is no British angle to the story as far as I am aware.

it was in an article in the paper yesterday.

when you say 20 people is excessive, i that based on a reasonable understanding of all the coverage across the BBC being provided, and how many people you feel, in some knowledgeable opinion, feel it should have required?

or does it just, you know, 'sound like a lot'?

do you agree that, whatever else, the MoS is quite right to be up in arms about the fact that, unlike other people there, they have had access to soft toilet tissue, and that it remains important journalism to have these things brought to our attention?

or do you think that, perhaps, its another example of piss poor journalism taking a pop at the BBC for no reason?

Iain
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iain wrote: »
    when you say 20 people is excessive, i that based on a reasonable understanding of all the coverage across the BBC being provided, and how many people you feel, in some knowledgeable opinion, feel it should have required?

or does it just, you know, 'sound like a lot'?

ITV has apparently sent four people to cover the story. I fail to see why the BBC needs to send five times as many, even allowing for the BBC website and radio.

But if you've got a giant pot of money, better to use it all up so no one claims you're overfunded, eh?
  • Sven945Sven945 Posts: 4,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV has apparently sent four people to cover the story. I fail to see why the BBC needs to send five times as many, even allowing for the BBC website and radio.

But if you've got a giant pot of money, better to use it all up so no one claims you're overfunded, eh?

I'm sure that BBC News has far more than five times the number of hours of output compared to ITV News. For one thing the BBC have two pretty much full time news channels (the TV news channel and 5Live), plus many in depth reports on radio 4.

And there's the fact that, you know, BBC News is much better than ITV News.
  • PeterBPeterB Posts: 9,487
    Forum Member

And how many locally recruited people are being used?

So we don't know the detail.

Other than that the BBC is sending fewer people than the numbers of miners being rescued. That must be good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PeterB wrote: »
    They get wipers too? :eek:
    Other than that the BBC is sending fewer people than the numbers of miners being rescued. That must be good.
    Yes, that makes a change, maybe BBC News have a different policy to BBC Sport. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sven945 wrote: »
    I'm sure that BBC News has far more than five times the number of hours of output compared to ITV News. For one thing the BBC have two pretty much full time news channels (the TV news channel and 5Live), plus many in depth reports on radio 4.

And there's the fact that, you know, BBC News is much better than ITV News.

True, but this story isn't like e.g. war where there are constantly daily updates. The miners are trapped, the rescuers are tunnelling to try to get them out, and apparently they soon will. It will be a great story of human endeavour and triumph when they do so, but why any of that means the BBC have to send five times the number of people to cover the story as ITV is a bit of a mystery, to me anyway.
    Forum Member
    True, but this story isn't like e.g. war where there are constantly daily updates. The miners are trapped, the rescuers are tunnelling to try to get them out, and apparently they soon will. It will be a great story of human endeavour and triumph when they do so, but why any of that means the BBC have to send five times the number of people to cover the story as ITV is a bit of a mystery, to me anyway.

Think about it... Not difficult.

Maybe ITV are using more local people. ITV news is not 24x7. They don't have radio stations...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Let's assume, and hope for the sake of common sense usage of the TVL, that the answer is nil. So what? Doesn't a team four times as large as that sent by ITV seem a little excessive?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think about it... Not difficult.

Maybe ITV are using more local people. They don't have radio stations...

Maybe ITV have to manage to an actual budget, not a bottomless pit of cash.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For a start ITV only have to do a live report a couple of times a day. The rest is recorded reports.

The BBC with live tv and radio news does loads of live reports a day.

Do you expect them to have all the satff awake and working 24/7 ?

so they need staff to cover different shift times. (also don't forget time zones so they are awake and asleep there at different times to us.

So I can understand why so many.

On another note I can never uderstand why so many go to world cup etc just to do live shows from studios down the road from the stadium.

Only those in the stadium need to be there.

Gary Lineker etc could do it just as easily from Salford via video link.
    Forum Member
    Let's assume, and hope for the sake of common sense usage of the TVL, that the answer is nil. So what? Doesn't a team four times as large as that sent by ITV seem a little excessive?

Lots of news events are covered by a sat truck man and a reporter...

Why don't you try to find out what every person working for ITV and the BBC is doing over there. Come back and tell us and then we can decide.
    Forum Member
    Maybe ITV have to manage to an actual budget, not a bottomless pit of cash.

And the BBC don't have a budget? Talk to them and find out, read the report and accounts.

ps - where do I get 24x7 coverage of news on ITV?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of news events are covered by a sat truck man and a reporter...

Why don't you try to find out what every person working for ITV and the BBC is doing over there. Come back and tell us and then we can decide.

Who then drive a few miles or maybe 50-100 home for tea and bed with the misses/hubbie.

They are not across the other side of the world:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the BBC don't have a budget? Talk to them and find out, read the report and accounts.

ps - where do I get 24x7 coverage of news on ITV?

http://www.itv.com/News/?intcmp=NAV_NEWS6 :p:D
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

I was going to ask the same so come on hendero, give us the details.
  • RoweyRowey Posts: 2,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [highlight]Important message[/highlight]

Instead of spending millions chauffeuring overpaid pampered staff all over the world. I would prefer the BBC was closed down completely and the £4 Billion pounds spent on something more worthwhile.

There's schools, hospitals and cancer research etc, so many more important things. It sickens me that we are forced to pay £4 billion quid every year to pay for BBC showbiz pay tv entertainment channels. It's just sheer sickening over the top extravagance.:mad: