Options

Man who killed 'pissing' yob jailed

CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
Forum Member
✭✭
Not excusing what the man jailed did, but taking the background into account, you can't help but feel sorry for him.

A "good neighbour" who stabbed a man he caught urinating through his letterbox on a yob-plagued estate has been jailed for five years after admitting manslaughter.
Michael Williams, 53, "just flipped" after he caught father-of-one Anthony Kershaw, 25, high on drink and drugs, defiling his property.

The householder, who lived alone, had already suffered the same attack previously, and had paint thrown on his door, Manchester Crown Court heard.

Residents were too frightened to go out at night because of a gang of teenagers terrorising the sprawling Smallbridge council estate in Rochdale, it was said.

Williams, described by neighbours as "pleasant, friendly and keeps himself to himself" heard a bang on the front door of his ground-floor flat on the night of April 19, as if someone was kicking at it to break in. He went to investigate, to see urine pouring through his letterbox, he told police.

He then closed the door and dialled 999 as friends of Mr Kershaw tried to attack Williams, smashing his windows and threatening to "burn him alive" by torching the property.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20101029/tuk-man-who-killed-urinating-yob-jailed-6323e80.html

And check this little gem out by the deceased's mother :
Mr Kershaw's mother, Debbie Alger, in a tribute to her son after his death described him as "always a jack-the-lad and loved by many"

:rolleyes:

Comments

• Options
    BZRBZR Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i thought this might have been about the guy who pissed on a war memorial in sheffield
  • Options
    Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tragic :( I feel so sorry for the poor man - no way should he go to prison. He was bullied, victimised and abused and was under serious threat in his own home. What was he supposed to do? Just take the abuse from this vile thug? :confused: Surely this should be taken into consideration and he should be allowed to walk free. Disgusting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,400
    Forum Member
    Jailed , the man should have been knighted for services to the community.

These scroats are always loved by many usualy the ones they buy drugs off & mawl around the streets with.

One less dregg on the street & a bloke in the nick who neednt be

:)
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP - why did you cut this bit out of the middle of your quote?
    Angry he went to his kitchen, grabbed a knife with a seven-inch blade and as Mr Kershaw urinated, swung open the door and in a "momentary intention" stabbed his victim in the stomach.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He should have invested in one of those brass letterboxes with the razor sharp flaps.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vinba wrote: »
    Loved by many worms.....

At last the lowlife piece of sh*t is good for something.
    I'm disgusted the man was jailed for 5 years.
  • Options
    NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ber wrote: »

I thought that! Its quite a crucial part of the story
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exceedingly harsh sentence when the mitigating circumstances were very clear. I think it's clear the man has been made an example of ..

Hopefully he won't serve too long and will be out on appeal. But then you just know if the roles had been reversed, the other bloke probably would have walked due to some loophole, or due to claiming he had 'issues' ..
  • Options
    GraathusGraathus Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    He should have invested in one of those brass letterboxes with the razor sharp flaps.

Death would have been a blessing.

God I hated those things when I had a paper round,
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NathalieR wrote: »
    I thought that! Its quite a crucial part of the story

Yes - it explains why he got some jail time!

It wasn't just a case of the guy flipping in the heat of the moment and lashing out, but making a concious decision to go and get a weapon and hurt someone.

Tough one though - I could understand why this guy would have had enough and wanted to lash out at the yobs though.
  • Options
    Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Come on people. This young scrote must have had a tough upbringing. It's all of ours fault for not doing enough to help him.
  • Options
    LEPLEP Posts: 1,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After he stabbed him he should have planted another knife in his hand and told the police it was self defence.
  • Options
    CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ber wrote: »

As mentioned, I don't excuse what the man did, but the sentence (5 years) is way over-board.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    CXC3000 wrote: »
    As mentioned, I don't excuse what the man did, but the sentence (5 years) is way over-board.

For once, I agree with you:) In retrospect, he should probably have had a go at his dick, through the letterbox. It's easy to be wise after the event though.
  • Options
    meechameecha Posts: 2,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom_Tit wrote: »
    Come on people. This young scrote must have had a tough upbringing. It's all of ours fault for not doing enough to help him.

Yeah,yeah! At 25 and a father - he was old enough to make his own decisions - regardless of his background. He was just a worthless moron!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    meecha wrote: »
    Yeah,yeah! At 25 and a father - he was old enough to make his own decisions - regardless of his background. He was just a worthless moron!

I was being sarcastic.:rolleyes:

Nevermind.
  • Options
    Ginger GeekGinger Geek Posts: 6,182
    Forum Member
    UKMikey wrote: »

And a Tazer connected to the other side!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom_Tit wrote: »
    I was being sarcastic.:rolleyes:

Nevermind.

You know what they say about sarcasm! :rolleyes:

Nevermind!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry it's been a tiring day for me. Just ignore me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vinba wrote: »
    The highest form of wit?

You wish! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When they've had joy riders end up dead in the local paper you'll always see "Jack the lad" mentioned, even though the deceased were total c**ts making peoples lives a misery whilst alive.
    It's a shame that guy's got 5 years, hopefully he'll be out in less.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a bit of a different story on the BBC website. The dead man was kicking at the door and the man thought his house was being broken into.

Quote:
    The householder heard someone kicking at his front door and believed someone was trying to break-in, said Peter Wright QC, prosecuting.
    "He went to investigate and saw someone urinating through his letterbox and, in his own words, 'just flipped'.

"He went to the kitchen, armed himself with a knife, returned to the hallway, opened the door and stabbed the figure outside the door."

Andrew O'Byrne QC, mitigating, read out a series of police and council reports involving friends of Mr Kershaw in anti-social behaviour on the estate.
    Mr O'Byrne said: "The evidence is that because of the behaviour of people on that estate the lives of a great many people, otherwise thoroughly decent in their day to day dealings, were made extraordinarily difficult.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone know the sentencing guidelines for manslaughter (Google was not my friend)? Bearing in mind the guy pleaded guilty, it's possible this is the lowest possible sentence the judge could have given him. Regardless, I think five years is reasonable. No doubt that Williams was pissed-off (no pun intended), but there's no mention that Kershaw posed any threat to his life, either at that or any other time (apart from his friends drunken bravado, but then why not attack all his friends too?) and 'only' two previous incidents.

Don't get me wrong, I can't pretend to be sad the guy's dead, but neither do I consider Williams to be some sort of hero.

ETA - the quote from the BBC by woodbush just makes it worse. It seems Williams didn't even know who he was planning to stab.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If there was a willy hanging though the letter box he could have fought back in a painful, though less fatal way.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When they've had joy riders end up dead in the local paper you'll always see "Jack the lad" mentioned,

Or a loveable rogue.