Options

Moving a cat from a house to a flat

big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm looking for some advice if possible.

For certain reasons my parents can no longer take care of their cat Hamish. He, like most cats does spend a good bit of time outdoors.

We really don't want to take him to a home so I was going to take him. The problem is I live in a flat two stories up with no greenery outside.

Do you think it would be ok to start training him to use a litter tray. If so how's best to do it? We are just worried that keeping a cat indoors that has been used to going out would make him really unhappy which is the last thing we want.

Anybody think this would be ok or would the best thing for him bring the cat and dog home:(

Comments

• Options
    LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    It depends on the cat, but if he has always had free access to outdoors he will probably find it very hard to accept being confined in a flat. You can 'train' him to use a litter tray by shutting him in a room with a litter tray - plus food and water - for as long as it takes him to use it, you could try using earth from the garden in the tray rather than litter to start with as that is what he would be used to as a substrate - but the act of confining him in a room will probably distress him.

If he is sent to 'the cat and dog home' he will either be confined in a small cage or, if he's lucky, he may be fostered in someone's home but again probably won't be allowed outside in case he goes missing and will probably be with other animals too which he may not enjoy. It may well take many months for him to be permanently rehomed.

Is there a way he could stay with your parents, with some support from someonelse? If he is outdoors a lot he presumably doesn't too need much 'looking after'?
  • Options
    North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are the only options you taking him or a cat/dog home. Could you not try to rehome him with someone with a garden
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In answering the above posts.

My parents can barely look after themselves any more let alone a cat. I find myself going round most days to check it's ok( and them)

We have tried to find someone to take him but no luck at the moment. I would love to have him just don't know if it would be fair on him
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have tried to find someone to take him but no luck at the moment. I would love to have him just don't know if it would be fair on him

I can tell you are in a bit of a bind, so I guess the answer is to try it and see? (While being prepared for the eventuality that you may have to rehome the cat.)

Keep us informed on how it goes.
  • Options
    SomecatsSomecats Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    When my wife died, I moved from our house to a flat with our two cats. They were fine - they took to using a tray right away. I had cushions made for the window sill so they could sit and look out of the window and bought them a cat-tree to play on. They adapted extremely well. Sadly, the tom died last year and my old girl died a few days ago, on Boxing Day at the age of 17, but they had many happy, warm, dry years here.
  • Options
    wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somecats wrote: »
    When my wife died, I moved from our house to a flat with our two cats. They were fine - they took to using a tray right away. I had cushions made for the window sill so they could sit and look out of the window and bought them a cat-tree to play on. They adapted extremely well. Sadly, the tom died last year and my old girl died a few days ago, on Boxing Day at the age of 17, but they had many happy, warm, dry years here.

Oh dear...so sad, :cry: but she had a long and happy life
  • Options
    Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could you try it for a while and see how it goes OP? If the cat is elderly maybe it might be better to live out it's day with your parents in it's own place. Maybe think about getting a auto cat feeder to help? The other option is The Cinnamon Trust or look through a few Vicky Hall's books for advice www.vickyhalls.net
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i would take him to a cat rescue place i think its really unfair to take away the outdoors for him cats should really go outside for a few hours a day
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,333
    Forum Member
    Camino wrote: »
    i would take him to a cat rescue place i think its really unfair to take away the outdoors for him cats should really go outside for a few hours a day

I really disagree with this. My cats are out when I'm home but inside (I live in a busy area - for my peace of mind) when I'm at work.They are clean, healthy, warm, fed, able to toilet, safe and happy. OP as long as your cats have everything they need and sufficient space they will be absolutely fine in a flat, don't worry!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emzie21 wrote: »
    I really disagree with this. My cats are out when I'm home but inside (I live in a busy area - for my peace of mind) when I'm at work.They are clean, healthy, warm, fed, able to toilet, safe and happy. OP as long as your cats have everything they need and sufficient space they will be absolutely fine in a flat, don't worry!

It is quite possible the cat will be OK living indoors 24/7, especially if he has lots to entertain him, but I don't think that it's a given. Some cats crave a bit of outdoor time -- especially if they are used to it.
  • Options
    LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    I sympathise with your situation OP.
    If you are going round most days to check on your parents, why not just leave the cat where he is for the time being, and check on him at the same time? It will probably be a lot less bother for you, and better for him? As someonelse suggested, you can get timed automated feeders if that would help.

He may be okay living indoors but he may be very unhappy - and express that unhappiness in antisocial ways - all cats are different and there is no way of knowing in advance. How old is the cat OP?

If he is taken to a rescue centre he could spend a long time in very confined quarters before he finds a home - and technically he is not homeless/abandoned so he will not be a priority for a rescue centre.
  • Options
    Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a case history from Cinnamon Trust OP - your parents would be able to visit and keep in touch with foster carers for the cat, but also take the cat back if they felt their situation had improved. http://www.cinnamon.org.uk
    "Bonny, Clyde and Poppy
    Bonny and Clyde were 15 and Poppy was 14 when Anne was admitted to a hospice. Devoted to each other, her gorgeous family of Burmese cats came to Poldarves Sanctuary. We were able to send photos and letters, so Anne knew they had settled happily and still did the things they had always done, like sleep together in one furry heap, stalk each other in play and swap dinner dishes half way through."
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I moved mine from a house, to a 1st floor flat, and she settled in quite quickly.

She does go out, when I'm home (There's a decent sized garden, and the street is pretty quiet), but if I'm not around to let her out, she uses a litter tray, which took her no time at all, to get used to again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Cat trees! If the cat's getting on a bit in age, you might be surprised how well he'll adapt. As long as he's got a comfortable seat to perch on whilst he looks out of the window, he may be happy with that. A few bird feeders on the window and a tall cat tree may suffice. He shouldn't be any problem with a litterbox either, they inherently know what they're for and being clean in themselves, should tend to stick to it. As he's the only cat, you should find that he doesn't wander from the litterbox as there's no need to scent.

When first introducing him, I would do what you do with kittens - confine him to one room with bed and food at one end and litterbox at the other end (clear distinctions), then introduce him after a few days to one room at a time, sending him to bed in the original room. He'll soon know what's going on.

Then introduce the tree and he'll see it as bed and play thing and not something to be peed against! Having a viewing platform by a window will be important.

My two go from being outdoor to indoor to both and they're no bother as long as they can watch the world go by. And even when they're predominantly outdoor, they still come in to use their litterbox - most cats find it a relief to have somewhere that isn't constantly being re-sprayed (lol) by the neighbourhood bully!

Zooplus.co.uk is a good place for cat trees.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey guys

Thought I'd give you a wee update. He has moved to the flat where we have him a litter which he occasionally uses.

Last night we risked taking him down a couple of flights of stairs and out the back. He went off and returned 3 hours later so looks like all is good:)

He seems happy enough in the flat and gets outside
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really pleased for you big bro geek. I think you've done a great thing. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Realy good news for hamish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just ... Wow!!! The dedication of some cat owners to attend to their cats' portals are feats of engineering.

I have been thinking of building a ladder from the decking to the garden fence, which my cat likes to patrol ... and get stuck on occasion!