Options

Will the master return?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
Forum Member
I have been watching the John Simm master episodes and wondered if the master will return......any thoughts

Comments

• Options
    starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the master always returns...

When? Who knows...
  • Options
    bodsworthnjbodsworthnj Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    Well, I hope they leave it a while before he does.

I liked the development of the character during the end of time. He wasn't just a buffoon trying to take over the world again. He was desperate and the dialogue between him and the doctor really marked something personal between them. I liked that side of the character and if they stay on that slant, Bring it on!
  • Options
    Conall CearnachConall Cearnach Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully if he does return he'll be sporting a natty goatee.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    I hope it isn't John Simm when he returns, a bit too Joker camp for my liking, I would like to see Anthony Stewart Head in the role, with a beard of course...I know he was in Who before but enough time has passed since this appearance and other actos have reappeared as other characters, Micheal Gough and Colin Baker for example.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Benedict Cumberbatch for the role of Master!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Master returning is as unlikely as the Daleks returning...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the Master always liked his disguises, so perhaps he may have already returned ;)

I would love to see him again, its always a joy to see the Doctor and Master in a battle of wits with each other.

I was also quite pleased with the way the Masters character progressed in The End of Time, when he saved the Doctor from Rassilon it was as if he had come full circle.
  • Options
    DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully if he does return he'll be sporting a natty goatee.
    Yeah ... like mine!
  • Options
    Bob_1971Bob_1971 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Benedict Cumberbatch for the role of Master!

Nahhhh....

BRIAN BLESSED bellowing "DOCTOR!!" would be much more epic! In fact, he would probably make an interesting Silent :D
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bob_1971 wrote: »
    Nahhhh....

BRIAN BLESSED bellowing "DOCTOR!!" would be much more epic! In fact, he would probably make an interesting Silent :D

I think he suffers from already having been in the programme, and not being the sort of person you forget seeing...
  • Options
    DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bob_1971 wrote: »
    BRIAN BLESSED bellowing "DOCTOR!!" would be much more epic!
    One scenario that could arise from this ... After a violent confrontation, The Master thinks he's finally
    killed The Doctor at last, only to be informed later that he hasn't really killed The Doctor after all . . .

"THE DOCTOR'S ALIVE?!?"
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan Carr to play the Master!
  • Options
    wildbenji64wildbenji64 Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope he does but not until at least the end of the series 7. I still think Benedict Cumberbatch would make an excellent Master to Matt Smith's Doctor.
  • Options
    Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well, the Master returned for new Who in series 3 , so no doubt he could come back again anytime.

I think they are wanting new characters with Matt Smith for this new series and possibly the next - but maybe after?!

loved John Simm as him I really hope he comes back soon.
  • Options
    PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member
    Of course!
  • Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I think it's certain that the master will return just like it's certain that the Daleks and Cybermen will return as well.I hope it's John Simm who plays him but it would be interesting to see another actor playing the master!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    I hope he does but not until at least the end of the series 7. I still think Benedict Cumberbatch would make an excellent Master to Matt Smith's Doctor.

Whoo don't like that idea.I would say the master be a woman,can't see it though.so the master could be a alien breed. I like sim though and happy to keep with him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member

Whoo don't like that idea.I would say the master be a woman,can't see it though.so the master could be a alien breed. I like sim though and happy to keep with him.or have sim and a future master working together
  • Options
    allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, course he will.

I think the writers try to outdo themselves with how to kill characters like Davros and Master off once and for all, then bring em back....

The Master will be back but maybe not during the Moffs tenure I feel...

At least the Zygons are sure to be back ..... :) .. you may be too young to know who they are thou
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mo21nk wrote: »
    Whoo don't like that idea.I would say the master be a woman,can't see it though.so the master could be a alien breed. I like sim though and happy to keep with him.

Now you mention it, the main thing people tend to say about Simm in his other roles is that he's good at emotional honesty. I really think his portrayal was deliberately chosen to be appropriate to the style of the episodes he appeared in. He could easily adapt to fit the tone of the show with Matt, and you just have to look at T.Baker over the years to see that the audience is fine with step changes in characterisation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    Yeah, he'll be back.

Probably not as Simm, but he'll be back.
  • Options
    Salford_WhoSalford_Who Posts: 4,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Simm had said that a new doctor should mean a new master, whether or not it was a double bluff remains to be seen.
  • Options
    MarkBluemelMarkBluemel Posts: 1,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Newhaven wrote: »
    I have been watching the John Simm master episodes and wondered if the master will return......any thoughts

If he does return, I hope the Moff does a better job of writing for him than RTD did.

I thought the RTD episodes with the Master were dire and totally wasted John Simm's talents.
  • Options
    EaglestrikerEaglestriker Posts: 3,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old news, I know, but Benedict Cumberbatch hinted that he would like to have a 'prominent' role in Doctor Who sometime...and a Master portrayed by him would be a dream combination with Matt's Doctor, I feel: the taller, more suave Time Lord bully.

Though I'm a bit peeved that RTD effectively closed his character story...so a return is unlikely in the near future.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really didn't like the Master in 21st century DW.
    Bring back Geoffrey Beevers!