BBC one gives the series 6 premiere of Doctor Who a 6pm slot?!?

djonshoredjonshore Posts: 4,759
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why does the BBC keep insisting that Doctor Who should be on at 6pm?

According to Radio Times this is how the schedule looks on BBC one on Saturday 23 April:

18:00 Doctor Who
18:45 So You Think You Can Dance?
20:00 National Lottery: Who Dares Wins
20:50 So You Think You Can Dance? Results
21:20 Casualty

I would have much prefered if it was like this:

18:00 So You Think You Can Dance?
19:15 Doctor Who
20:00 So You Think You Can Dance? Results
20:30 National Lottery: Who Dares Wins
21:20 Casualty

If Merlin is usually shown after 7pm then why cannot Doctor Who have the same slot? :confused:

Comments

• EaglestrikerEaglestriker Posts: 3,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd prefer the later slots, too, I'm hardly ever in by 6 on a Saturday.

But with healthy Sky+ and iPlayer figures, overnight ratings aren't really an issue any more...at least this year fans of autumn/winter evening showings will finally get what they wanted!

I remember RTD moaning about the early slot the Series 4 opening story received...but changed his tune after 8 mil sat down to watch that "insufferable Tate woman ™".
  • HelenThereseHelenTherese Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    I like the early slot. We can timeshift it to a little later say 6.30pm and watch with the kids.:)
  • stcoopstcoop Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djonshore wrote: »
    If Merlin is usually shown after 7pm then why cannot Doctor Who have the same slot? :confused:

Maybe the BBC consider Merlin a more mature show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    I like the earlier slots as i don't have to wait as long. But i think 6 is about as early as it should get (anything with a five in front of it would be stupid) and i'm sure if i had to be somewhere else at 6 (like work) then i'd want it to be a bit later, it's just that i don't have anywhere to be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stcoop wrote: »

Did they not watch the trailers they sent out for S6, I think they can all see that this will me a very mature series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes so mature that the BBC have shown it as early as 5.30, and are currently repeating it on CBBC!
    ;)

By the way I have nothing against Merlin, love the show, but if we are gonna use your logic about time slot as evidence of a show's maturity, then I guess this proves by your logic that the BBC see Doctor who as a very mature show with the prime time slot on BBC 1 at 6pm!

Thanks for the time OP, as I haven't been around the net lately so had no idea. Can't wait! :D
  • amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    Is it not to avoid clashing with Britain's Got Talent on ITV1 which kicks off this coming Saturday and will no doubt have a gigantic audience watching it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    I liked it on at 7 as usual .then when it changed. Time it felt different.but even later I wouldn't mind.I'm not bothered about those shows around it though.
  • djonshoredjonshore Posts: 4,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it not to avoid clashing with Britain's Got Talent on ITV1 which kicks off this coming Saturday and will no doubt have a gigantic audience watching it?

Looking at April 23, Britain's Got Talent is scheduled at the 8pm slot on ITV1, which at the same time on BBC one it's The National Lottery: Who Dares Wins. Which as you say does suggest that the BBC are avoiding a reality TV clash once again.

But saying that if the BBC doesn't want a clash then, why can't they do this:

18:00 So You Think You Can Dance? (45 minutes sooner)
    19:15 Doctor Who (1hr 15mins later)
    20:00 The National Lottery: Who Dares Wins (no change)
    20:50 So You Think You Can Dance? Results (no change)
    21:20 Casualty (no change)

against ITV1:

17:00 March of the Dinosaurs
    19:00 Sing if You Can
    20:00 Britain's Got Talent
    21:00 Piers Morgan's Life Stories

I can't see a problem with this.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really mind what time it's on, I'll adapt to anything, and if humanly possible I'll be in to watch it.

What annoys me is when the time changes every week. Is that just me?
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    I don't really mind what time it's on, I'll adapt to anything, and if humanly possible I'll be in to watch it.

What annoys me is when the time changes every week. Is that just me?

No - I'm the same. They like you to play "guess when it's on" these days. Although my swishy freeview+ box does a "series link" of every show without me having to punch each one in.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even when it was on after 7pm I rarely watched it 'live' so it makes no odds to me.
    Ironically one of the few times I did watch 'live', I was treated to the infamous "Dancing Norton":mad: So I doubt I will change my time-shifting habits this series:D
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This^^^^^
  • FuddFudd Posts: 167,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This^^^^^

Doctor Who only lasts 45 minutes and Britain's Got Talent usually starts at 8pm. Doctor Who does not need to start at 6pm to avoid it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who cares?? This day and age people have PVRs and iplayer etc. At least it's being shown! Bloody hell
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erm I think the show needs viewers so if its too early people wont watch in which it result in Beeb thinking whether this new sries layout is working.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erm I think the show needs viewers so if its too early people wont watch in which it result in Beeb thinking whether this new sries layout is working.

The show does need viewers and for an opening episode the overnights will be closely monitored. Many will declare "The overnights won't matter as people can watch it later via PVR's" but for a series premiere it has always attracted large overnight viewing figures.

It's different for the rest of the series. Viewing figures (overnights) always tail off a little but if Easter Saturday is hot and people are making the most of their Easter holiday (Easter is three weeks later than usual so for many it's a long time coming so make the most of it they will) then rushing home to watch Doctor Who may not be high on their list of priorities.

Very careless scheduling for the series premiere and it also suggests that Moffatt is just spinning a yarn about it being scarier than ever! If it was scarier than ever, it shouldn't be on in the earliest ever non-Christmas timeslot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    The show does need viewers and for an opening episode the overnights will be closely monitored. Many will declare "The overnights won't matter as people can watch it later via PVR's" but for a series premiere it has always attracted large overnight viewing figures.

It's different for the rest of the series. Viewing figures (overnights) always tail off a little but if Easter Saturday is hot and people are making the most of their Easter holiday (Easter is three weeks later than usual so for many it's a long time coming so make the most of it they will) then rushing home to watch Doctor Who may not be high on their list of priorities.

Very careless scheduling for the series premiere and it also suggests that Moffatt is just spinning a yarn about it being scarier than ever! If it was scarier than ever, it shouldn't be on in the earliest ever non-Christmas timeslot

Scary within reason, scary for Doctor Who standards, Moffat isn't going to make some psycho serial killer jump through a window and attack The Doctor, its going to be a monster that will slightly scare kids and creep out adults not make them jump out of their seats.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scary within reason, scary for Doctor Who standards, Moffat isn't going to make some psycho serial killer jump through a window and attack The Doctor, its going to be a monster that will slightly scare kids and creep out adults not make them jump out of their seats.

I meant that by making more scary than usual, why put it on in very early timeslot?
  • stcoopstcoop Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    I meant that by making more scary than usual, why put it on in very early timeslot?

There is never going to be anything in the series that isn't suitable for an early evening timeslot. Hell, all the so-called scary and violent Hinchcliffe stories were shown even earlier in the day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It always annoys me how the BBC prioritise their reality shows in regards to scheduling compared to Doctor Who. So You Think You Can Dance has performed quite poorly so I agree it should be shown at 6pm instead of Who.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Maybe it will change in a few weeks? If No-one Cares If They Can Dance continues to perform badly, perhaps it will get moved back eventually? Maybe that's being planned for already and it could take another few weeks for studio booking issues to be dealt with.

Whatever happens, I hope it will be better handled next year.

Didn't The Magicians do better in the same Saturday slot earlier this year? That could be a better schedule partner for Who.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    There is never going to be anything in the series that isn't suitable for an early evening timeslot. Hell, all the so-called scary and violent Hinchcliffe stories were shown even earlier in the day.

That's true, but it drew complaints from Mary Whitehouse which led to a post 6pm slot for most of the remainder of Tom Baker's era.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Yeah, from the point of view of content, nothing will be put on at 7pm that couldn't also be put on at 6pm.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    i think this could possibly hurt doctor who a great deal. if ITV start their big dinosaur show at 5 - it goes on for 2 hours - people will get into it and not turn over - especially if its walking with dinosaurs mark 2! (in that i mean english narrator - stephen fry, fx etc.) kids will get into it and then watch dr who afterwards at 7pm - stupid BBC!!!!
    i just hope it musters enough viewers to avoid bad press...11 million last year? no chance this year! :(