Options

Prisoner Cell Block H

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always lived in hope of Chrissie returning one day.

I am currently on ep672, loving this era as I am only seeing it for the first time. Love Alice, Rita, Merle, Lorelei, Lisa, absolutely LOVE Spider, even finding I like Brumby too - I'd only ever seen her in the last two episodes which didn't do her any justice.

How sexy is Spike Marsh aswell?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Episode 677 stands out as one of the best of the entire series. I have never enjoyed an episode so much since The Ballinger Seige episodes/Lou Kelly riot.

The overthrown of Joan Ferguson as Governor of Wentworth was well worth the wait. The common bond and aim between the prisoners and the staff over their common enemy was great to see. Kath was redeemed in a sense with the others and all the officers - Rodney aside- allying with them. You could just see that they had all had enough of Joan. Right overcame wrong. Ferguson got her comeuppance as did the dead Craven and that prat Dwyer. The part that really stole me though, was Lorelei Wilkinson's reaction to seeing Zoey brought to Ingleside. What a beautiful, touching, poignant moment, I cried with her, I genuinely felt happy for her character, who had been terribly wronged. She stole the show. Part of me cried for Pixie and Cass too, who never had the same happy ending.

I also loved Lorelei's response to Joan: "I know there's good in you, I know there's a lot of bad too, I know now how that badness has hurt so many people." Nearly 400 episodes after her arrival, the woman has summed her up in one go. There is no facade anymore, Ferguson knows she can't trick or deceive anyone into believing she doesn't bend the rules. She has been seen by all for who she is and how she operates. But I did like that she acknowledged that there was good in her too.

I have always said that Erica Davidson was the best Governor of Wentworth but this episode switched me completely to Ann Reynolds corner. She was magnificent. The way she stood up to Dwyer, her unmoving confidence and devotion to helping the women was nothing short of jaw dropping. she wouldn't bow down to any of Dwyers demands and summed Joan up to him in a clear and honest way "she is a vicious, self serving misfit."

Finally, well done to Paula Duncan, a brilliant final episode and ending to my 2nd Prisoner character ever!!! So pleased she got a happy ending with Zoey promised to be a part of it!
  • Options
    zooooooooooooozooooooooooooo Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched One Foot In The Grave, good to see Victor Meldrew had some taste, wanting to stay up and watch it, even though he calls it Prisoner In Cell Block H:D.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Officer Joanne Riley is fast becoming my favourite semi regular.
  • Options
    will2510will2510 Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reached 672 - only 20 more episodes to go. The rate I'm watching them, I should be finished by next weekend. Now, where's Volume 1 again?.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    will2510 wrote: »
    Reached 672 - only 20 more episodes to go. The rate I'm watching them, I should be finished by next weekend. Now, where's Volume 1 again?.....

Lmao me too, thinking exact same thing, time to revisit Bea, Chrissie, Erica.....
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a PCBH weekend and I finished the final batch of episodes last night. So its over :(

And yep like others I think maybe its time to start from the beginning again ;) goes to hunt for volume 1! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a PCBH weekend and I finished the final batch of episodes last night. So its over :(

And yep like others I think maybe its time to start from the beginning again ;) goes to hunt for volume 1! :p

"She bumped into me."
  • Options
    richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've rewound to about 234 now
    • Whiney Page has gone
    • Sandy Edwards and a certain Kate Peterson about to arrive
    • Erica has been found after being abducted
    • Bea about to be very ill

And many other things coming up in IMO one of the better eras of the show before a certain officer arrives in 287
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    richie4eva wrote: »
    I've rewound to about 234 now

Whiney Page has gone
    Sandy Edwards and a certain Kate Peterson about to arrive
    Erica has been found after being abducted
    Bea about to be very ill

And many other things coming up in IMO one of the better eras of the show before a certain officer arrives in 289

Yeah I just watched those episodes last week, really liked Linda Goldman and would like her to have been a regular.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Bea Smith - what a woman!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I feel like just watching some random episodes, I just watched the one when Lou Kelly knocked out Officer Riley and took Joyce Barrie hostage. Good era of the show, even finding Phil Cleary less annoying. Also thought Ray Proctor was a good character, although he was no Mervin Pringle.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So glad to see this thread is still going strong-it's been a while since I've visited! :o:D

The end is nigh, alas-I'm now well into the 660s and things have taken a grim turn what with the shocking treatment of Sarah West at the hands of Spider (as if all the racial insults weren't bad enough she ends up being painted white! :eek:) and Spider's subsequent bashing by the odious Rodney.

All this and the Blackmoor episodes just around the corner!
  • Options
    ChuckyBlackhartChuckyBlackhart Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I’m currently on the era produced by Marie Trevor. (The Barnhurst 6 era) I can’t help but think ‘what the hell was the producer thinking about with this era?’ Why take a job as producer of a TV programme if you’re going to proceed to change everything about the programme? First of all she brings in 6 characters from Barnhurst. All 6 of whom are soft and completely lacking any street cred. Ettie, an old woman who’s unbelievably crazy and indescribably annoying. Daphne, an extremely stupid, harmless, annoying girl who talks to plants and is prone to bursting in to tears like an overgrown kid you just want to smack. Julie a pink cardigan wearing, permanently frightened geek. “Auntie” May who has an obsession for knitting cardigans so bad, you’l think your TV is broken. Willie Beecham, a farcical (non) comedy character and one of the most unlikely prisoners ever and Nora the Bora, a woman who killed 3 people in her youth but now has more sensitivity and insight than most people do on the outside. As if that wasn’t bad enough, bringing in not 1, not 2 but 6 terrible characters, she brings in yet more soft characters, Jenny Hartley, yet another posh character, yet another one who won’t bring any conflict to the series and yet another unlikely prisoner. As if all that isn’t bad enough, she even brings in Merv the Perv. “I know I’m not funny or interesting”, you said it Merv. This era completely lacks any tension, conflict and drama. Even Lou Kelly is much calmer in this era. In fact even Joan is calmer and is even ‘nice’ to the prisoners due to her happiness with being with Terry.

Characters even say things to each other such as ‘Things have been pretty dull around here lately’
    And the Freak calls Nora a joke of a Top Dog. When even characters are saying things like this within the show itself, you know you’ve got problems.

It’s as if Marie Trevor said to her self “right, I’m going to take all the violence and conflict out of this series and make all the characters nice”. It’s like watching a programme set in an old folks home, even right down to watching characters knit and talk to plants. I just don’t understand producers who take the job of working on a successful TV programme, then change the very heart and ethos of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I’m currently on the era produced by Marie Trevor. (The Barnhurst 6 era) I can’t help but think ‘what the hell was the producer thinking about with this era?’ Why take a job as producer of a TV programme if you’re going to proceed to change everything about the programme? First of all she brings in 6 characters from Barnhurst. All 6 of whom are soft and completely lacking any street cred. Ettie, an old woman who’s unbelievably crazy and indescribably annoying. Daphne, an extremely stupid, harmless, annoying girl who talks to plants and is prone to bursting in to tears like an overgrown kid you just want to smack. Julie a pink cardigan wearing, permanently frightened geek. “Auntie” May who has an obsession for knitting cardigans so bad, you’l think your TV is broken. Willie Beecham, a farcical (non) comedy character and one of the most unlikely prisoners ever and Nora the Bora, a woman who killed 3 people in her youth but now has more sensitivity and insight than most people do on the outside. As if that wasn’t bad enough, bringing in not 1, not 2 but 6 terrible characters, she brings in yet more soft characters, Jenny Hartley, yet another posh character, yet another one who won’t bring any conflict to the series and yet another unlikely prisoner. As if all that isn’t bad enough, she even brings in Merv the Perv. “I know I’m not funny or interesting”, you said it Merv. This era completely lacks any tension, conflict and drama. Even Lou Kelly is much calmer in this era. In fact even Joan is calmer and is even ‘nice’ to the prisoners due to her happiness with being with Terry.

Characters even say things to each other such as ‘Things have been pretty dull around here lately’
    And the Freak calls Nora a joke of a Top Dog. When even characters are saying things like this within the show itself, you know you’ve got problems.

It’s as if Marie Trevor said to her self “right, I’m going to take all the violence and conflict out of this series and make all the characters nice”. It’s like watching a programme set in an old folks home, even right down to watching characters knit and talk to plants. I just don’t understand producers who take the job of working on a successful TV programme, then change the very heart and ethos of it.

Agree with some of this (although it was technically the Barnhurst 5) Ettie having been in it before and not arriving with them. I actually liked Julie and Ettie, and like the actresses who play May and Willie, but it was quite a boring era, Jenny Hartley not helping matters at all. Although episodes 549-552 are my favourite in the entire series. And Joan, Lou and Lexie three of my favourite characters are in it so it still had some good going for it:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Dont forget Tammy, she killed off Tammy!:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont forget Tammy, she killed off Tammy!:mad:

Really:eek: that was her decision, I will never forgive her for that:mad::mad::mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with some of this (although it was technically the Barnhurst 5) Ettie having been in it before and not arriving with them. I actually liked Julie and Ettie, and like the actresses who play May and Willie, but it was quite a boring era, Jenny Hartley not helping matters at all. Although episodes 549-552 are my favourite in the entire series. And Joan, Lou and Lexie three of my favourite characters are in it so it still had some good going for it:D:D

I know the era get's called The Barnhurst 5 era, but I think it's technically The Barnhurst 6 era because Ettie was also from Barnhurst, she only arrived a few episodes before. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well folks, tonight's the night, I'm on episode 691, this is it, two more episodes left! I actually feel emotional.....:cry:

No more Ann, no more Rita, no more Lurch, no more Freak....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 466
    Forum Member

Agree with quite a lot of this. Dull period, lacking in drama. The actors playing May and Willie (Billie Hammerberg and Kirsty Child) are talented and have a charismatic screen presence in other roles I have seen them in (ironically, included in this is other appearances in other periods of the program).

One problem is too many characters were quite similar to one another and generally agreed with each other most of the time. May and Nora seem intimidating on paper but really are big softies. Julie and Jenny and Daphne, young and essentially ordinary, plain-ish non-criminal types but with a flaw that makes them somewhat a misfit.

The other problem was making Lou and Alice and Lexie the three antagonists. Like, here are all the 'good' prisoners. And here are Lou and Alice and Lexie, the 'bad' ones. Not a lot of realistic or engaging conflict when good and bad has been so arbitrarily marked-out.

Other failings of the period: the ridiculous scared straight story with the four youngsters coming in each day to put them back on the straight and narrow. Also, the terrible idea to have Nora as top dog and the 'rule by council'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well folks, tonight's the night, I'm on episode 691, this is it, two more episodes left! I actually feel emotional.....:cry:

No more Ann, no more Rita, no more Lurch, no more Freak....

I'm about 7 away from the end. Merle in Ingleside, the Freak has just come back after being hounded out of all the jobs she applied for by Willie Beecham. Will probably finish it tomorrow:cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finished at Midnight. As good as I remember the final episode being when I first watched it! Don't think it was actually said where the Freak was transferred to at the end?

Could you imagine it being Barnhurst, and the Freak being a prisoner under Governor Bennett? :eek::D
  • Options
    richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    will2510 wrote: »
    Finished at Midnight. As good as I remember the final episode being when I first watched it! Don't think it was actually said where the Freak was transferred to at the end?

The Inspector said she was going to 'the west' IIRC
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah they said no one wanted her. Probably for her own safety but also because she had pissed off so many officers throughout her career as well! lol

If you want to let your mind run riot about what may have happened to The Freak then watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaB82c1CcbU
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah they said no one wanted her. Probably for her own safety but also because she had pissed off so many officers throughout her career as well! lol

If you want to let your mind run riot about what may have happened to The Freak then watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaB82c1CcbU

I've seen that clip before, some time ago.

In my opinion the hand held camera work, Maggie Kirkpatrick, the incidental music, the real prison set and a surprisingly menacing feel, make it better than anything Wentworth has done so far.

And to think, it's only bloody Home and Away! A show I never watch. And it's been better in one little clip than Wentworth has in the 3 episodes I've seen of it.