Options

Never seen such a mixed reaction to a death before.

InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
Forum Member
Excluding of course those where the deceased was a criminal. It's astounding, usually all bad points are sidelined and all good are brought to the forefront but Thatcher's death seems to have - genuinely - got a mixed reaction.

Comments

• Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was far too controversial and affected too many peoples lives for there to have been the usual response to her death.
  • Options
    Linda_AndersonLinda_Anderson Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    I think you either loved her or hated her. There doesn't seem to be an in between.
  • Options
    Barry_JohnsonBarry_Johnson Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i remember when saddam hussein died; some people were very upset, some were celebrating.
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you either loved her or hated her. There doesn't seem to be an in between.

Absolute rubbish.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all a bit marmitey, really.
  • Options
    pinkyponk34pinkyponk34 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InMyArms wrote: »
    Excluding of course those where the deceased was a criminal. It's astounding, usually all bad points are sidelined and all good are brought to the forefront but Thatcher's death seems to have - genuinely - got a mixed reaction.

Well, she was quite old.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Absolute rubbish.

That's just what I thought. It's my opinion. You are of course entitled to your opinion just like anyone else.
  • Options
    CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InMyArms wrote: »

Shows how much hatred exists in UK :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    She was a very controversial figure, who improved some people's lives but absolutely destroyed the lives of others. Her death was always going to be like this.

What I do find a bit galling is that many of her DS supporters, in the various threads saying things like "it doesn't matter what she did in her life, even the bad things, she is dead now show respect" are the very same people who populate other threads gloating about the deaths of people in prisons and other criminals. Some of them are the same people who were, even just a couple of months ago, calling for the death penalty for the Bulger Killers too.

It's all a bit weird.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's just what I thought. It's my opinion. You are of course entitled to your opinion just like anyone else.

No. You're absolutely wrong in your statement.

I always felt ambivilent towards her, neither liked nor disliked her. I was not affected by her tenure in office in any way. I never voted for her nor supported her.

So...that's one person who goes against your rather flimsy perception of 'you either love or hate her', so there's your argument trashed.

I'm certainly not going to hate her because people tell me I should hate her.

And that has never made any sense to me, how you can hate and despise someone you don't even know. You only think you know, you know what you read, you know what you hear from others, and from that you form an opinion.

And that's all it is...a view, an opinion. And frankly there is a lot of bandwaggoning on here, plenty going along with the popular view of her as 'evil'. Comparing her to the worst despots and tyrants of history.

It's pathetic in the extreme.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I always felt ambivilent towards her, neither liked nor disliked her. I was not affected by her tenure in office in any way. I never voted for her nor supported her.

So...that's one person who goes against your rather flimsy perception of 'you either love or hate her', so there's your argument trashed.

And that has never made any sense to me, how you can hate and despise someone you don't even know. You only think you know, you know what you read, you know what you hear from others, and from that you form an opinion.

And that's all it is...a view, an opinion. And frankly there is a lot of bandwaggoning on here, plenty going along with the popular view of her as 'evil'. Comparing her to the worst despots and tyrants of history.

Calm down! Jesus wept! :rolleyes: What's pathetic is someone having a big rant because they don't agree with someone's opinion. For someone who doesn't care you're very angry!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jenbonjovi wrote: »
    Calm down! Jesus wept! :rolleyes: What's pathetic is someone having a big rant because they don't agree with someone's opinion. For someone who doesn't care you're very angry!

?

Beg your pardon? Angry?

I think you need to go back and read my post again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ?

Beg your pardon? Angry?

I think you need to go back and read my post again.

Yes..
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Comparing her to the worst despots and tyrants of history.

Who, since we didn't vote for or live under their tenure, or know, and we only read about them, we only think they were nasty, but really ambivalence is probably the more logical reaction.
  • Options
    Forum Member

No, I know what she did to the Scottish people. I had to pay that hated poll tax when she used Scotland as a guinea pig.
    And I'm sorry but I thought everyone was entitled to an opinion.

And I don't appreciate being called pathetic.

Anyway I'm finished, I'm outta here. You guys enjoy your forum.
  • Options
    Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I don't get why some people are so ecstatic she's dead, she was an old woman and whatever she did in the past (I say that as an Irish person) her death doesn't change any of it now :confused: or am I missing something?
    If people don't want to pay respects that's fine they don't have to, and I'm all for debating, discussing and dissecting the actions of public figures but people going around singing Ding dong the witch is dead (and allegedly downloading on iTunes)... Yea she's dead. And? What actually has changed now in 2013 because she's dead?
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hated her, and sort of admired her, and loathed some of the things she did, and respected others.

Very interesting times. I was angry a lot at the time, but not always, and now, well....she was monstrous but important, she was a very important figure.

I'm not surprised at the reactions though, it's been like that for, well over thirty years.
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty indifferent, she was before my time, I barely remember Major.

Whatever she did to the country didn't really affect my family at the time.

TBH, I'm too busy trying to survive this government to get to waste my time worrying about one I know little about.
  • Options
    monkinomonkino Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I know what she did to the Scottish people. I had to pay that hated poll tax when she used Scotland as a guinea pig.
    And I'm sorry but I thought everyone was entitled to an opinion.

And I don't appreciate being called pathetic.

Anyway I'm finished, I'm outta here. You guys enjoy your forum.

The community charge was implemented in Scotland first because it was Scotland which had been calling out for reform of the then rates system adopted under an earlier government. It was not to treat Scotland as a guinea pig, but rather to rectify a problem which had hurt Scotland the most.

The community charge was actually a fair tax - it was unpopular and repealed because local authorities had set the bills too high. The local authorities which set their bills too high were Labour authorities.
  • Options
    NatoPMTNatoPMT Posts: 3,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not so much that it's a mixed reaction, but the strength of the reaction is what's so unique...people dancing in the streets?

I am pretty anti-thatchy but the one thing this does demonstrate is how unique she was (that can be followed with a sigh or relief or sigh of resignation, depending on your individual stance)
  • Options
    monkinomonkino Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those celebrating the death of an 87 year old woman should be ashamed of themselves. Did they leave their homes to dance in the streets when Saddam Hussein or Colonel Gadaffi died? Its all for show.
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should read some of the comments on twitter, they're really vile ! Even if people really disliked her & her policies , the level of venom on the day she died is uncalled for.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Michael Jackson died, the mods were quick to create a sub-forum to house the multitude of threads so I don't see why they can't do that with this for a few days - everyone will invariably want their own little "piece" of the story by creating their own 'witty' thread about it, so why not just give them a sub-forum to play in for a while ?
  • Options
    shuddershudder Posts: 1,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    You should read some of the comments on twitter, they're really vile ! Even if people really disliked her & her policies , the level of venom on the day she died is uncalled for.

Tell that to the families of the 96!!! :mad: