freezing

jake19801957jake19801957 Posts: 3,606
Forum Member
✭✭✭
the past week when i turn my pc on it starts up ok but within minutes the mouse arrow freezes and i cant do a thing expect turn it off with the start button its happen 4 times just today . my tower is about 2 and half years old as anyone got a clue what it could be

jake

Comments

• irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the past week when i turn my pc on it starts up ok but within minutes the mouse arrow freezes and i cant do a thing expect turn it off with the start button its happen 4 times just today . my tower is about 2 and half years old as anyone got a clue what it could be

jake

I assume its more than the mouse that freezes. Does the PC respond to keyboard entry? How about hitting Ctrl-Alt-Delete - assuming its Windows? If the whole machine has frozen then it sounds like a hardware fault... maybe over heating or the memory or motherboard has developed a crack. Do you have temperature monitoring tools? Might be worth checking the temperature of the CPU and ensure it doesnt get too high. Have you checked your event logs for any issues? You can test for faulty memory by hitting F8 on boot up in Vista and Windows 7.
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my experience, probably a hardware problem - PSU, or more likely motherboard failure, but perhaps a memory fault.

Two things to try:

1) Rule out software as a cause by booting off a CD and seeing if the system still freezes after a while. Use something like Ubuntu - which also has a memory test option built in that you can select when it boots.

2) Have a look at the motherboard and see if you can see any bulging or leaking capacitors. If you can, that's likely the cause. If you can't, it still might be the cause!
  • jake19801957jake19801957 Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    I assume its more than the mouse that freezes. Does the PC respond to keyboard entry? How about hitting Ctrl-Alt-Delete - assuming its Windows? If the whole machine has frozen then it sounds like a hardware fault... maybe over heating or the memory or motherboard has developed a crack. Do you have temperature monitoring tools? Might be worth checking the temperature of the CPU and ensure it doesnt get too high. Have you checked your event logs for any issues? You can test for faulty memory by hitting F8 on boot up in Vista and Windows 7.

hi

it does not respond to any key at all the blue lights on the tower dont flash . when i turn it back on it comes up with cpu settings ive just been hitting enter till it gets to the signing in bit.how do i check the events log ..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Event logs are viewable under Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Logs. Check the system and application logs. Another thing worth trying is opening up the case and checking vents and fans are free of dust or obstruction. You can also check the board and memory then too as njp recommends.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when i turn it back on it comes up with cpu settings
    What do you mean by that? Have you been altering settings in the BIOS?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    njp wrote: »
    What do you mean by that? Have you been altering settings in the BIOS?

I think he just means the standard POST display at the start. It then sounds like the PC is throwing up the boot up menu screen due to an improper shutdown, which hes just hitting return on to do a normal boot. Correct me if I'm wrong OP. You could try booting into safe mode and seeing if the freezing still occurs after any length of time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its just froze for the 4th time today . so only way to turn it off is at the start up button , so when i turn it back on it comes up with cmos set up utility... so im not sure what to do so i hit Esc button .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its just froze for the 4th time today . so only way to turn it off is at the start up button , so when i turn it back on it comes up with cmos set up utility... so im not sure what to do so i hit Esc button .

Interesting... it seems the BIOS thinks there's been some kind of hardware change which is why its booting into the BIOS set up screen. That points to a hardware fault - I'd guess memory seems likely. Does the amount of memory listed in the BIOS screen match what you expect? BTW, I'd take this opportunity to back up all your essential files if you havent already done so just in case the whole thing decides to never boot again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    Interesting... it seems the BIOS thinks there's been some kind of hardware change which is why its booting into the BIOS set up screen.
    I think it's just that the BIOS has detected an unexpected restart and has decided that it might be a configuration issue (a failed attempt at overclocking, for example), so it gives you a chance to correct it before the next restart attempt.

I was just trying to establish that the OP hadn't changed anything there to provoke the problem in the first place, and didn't change anything afterwards either!

What I'm not sure is if the BIOS automatically reduces clock speeds after certain types of fault - but if it did, that wouldn't make things worse, so we can probably ignore it.

My money is on the motherboard, with a side-bet on the memory. But he should also check for non-functioning fans on the motherboard. It's still not clear to me how long this system is able to run before crashing, and whether it's highly variable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flipping froze more times today then ever , last time when i turned it came up with

boot device
    sata 3 mwdc wd3200AAjs
    net work NUIDIA BOOT agent 249.0

jake