Options

The Great British Bake Off - Series 5 - Starts 6th August 2014

Comments

• Options
    ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why has this thread been moved to the Reality forum?

I don't understand why all of these cooking shows keep getting moved especially since I would not define either Masterchef or The Great British Bake Off as being reality TV

How about Couples Come Dine With Me also gets moved as that is the epitome of trashy reality TV nowadays?
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strange to see this in the Reality forum. I post in a few other threads here (think of that what you will, those of you with a touch of RTV snobbery) but I wouldn't have said it fits in here any more than shows like X Factor, BGT, I'm A Celeb, etc. which have their own sub-forums.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish the Bake Off had its own sub-forum. It gets so many viewers and has a spin-off now.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    chuck_wipplchuck_wippl Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    ^^ Why is this Martha character being shoved in our faces already?

Thumbnail pic for promo the trailer, lead pic in the article, centre of the promo collective pic and biggest pic of the profiles. Why are they doing this already? :confused:
  • Options
    fern3fern3 Posts: 1,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    I wish the Bake Off had its own sub-forum. It gets so many viewers and has a spin-off now.

Then please request one.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/contact/?contact_type=forum#~oLkH8yLOlGzXaA

The more requests, the more likely it is to happen.
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    I'm already feeling uncomfortable about how this forum (and twitter) will inevitably rip apart Martha. Poor kid. :( Especially if she's good and does well.

I don't think GBBO needs a sub-forum, Masterchef doesn't so why does GBBO, it would just dilute the conversation as everyone will want to start their own thread.
  • Options
    ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm already feeling uncomfortable about how this forum (and twitter) will inevitably rip apart Martha. Poor kid. :( Especially if she's good and does well.

I don't think GBBO needs a sub-forum, Masterchef doesn't so why does GBBO, it would just dilute the conversation as everyone will want to start their own thread.

I'm going to count how many people post "She shouldn't be on the show. She should be concentrating on her studies"

I hope she does well but I can't see her going all the way
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    I'm going to count how many people post "She shouldn't be on the show. She should be concentrating on her studies"

Either that or accusations of favouristism from Paul cause she's not had time to practice bakes because of AS exams.
  • Options
    CamisCamis Posts: 13,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's a shame, but I think you're right. I hope she is ready for it.
  • Options
    hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    fern3 wrote: »
    Then please request one.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/contact/?contact_type=forum#~oLkH8yLOlGzXaA

The more requests, the more likely it is to happen.

I got a reply to mine. They saidthey aren't going to open a GBBO subforum. :( But they said we can open separate threads regarding GBBO in the RTV forum (like the soaps forum I assume).
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    One thread per episode should be enough, plus an anti-Jo Brand rant thread which is more than likely to pop up.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That depends if you buy into the idea that people instantly dislike young pretty girls. I didn't like Ruby last year but it was nothing to do with her age or looks. I am going to wait until I see the show before I make up my mind about anyone.

I think a sub-forum would give opportunities for Appreciation threads and discussions about different recipes with tips and tricks.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I looked through the comments after the Mail article, a significant number of them brought up again all the rubbish about Hollywood lusting after or even having an affair with contestants something completely fabricated by tabloids and sad people on forums like this. So it is not looking promising.

A sub-forum just means one more click and more people missing the threads. I did not immediately find the Masterchef after the move to Reality. I have thought of these programmes as Reality, I think of a reality programme as one where cameras follow someone around as they get on with the Real life but the meaning seems to have widened to cover just about anything.
  • Options
    EmmsEmms Posts: 866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are potted biographies for all the new contestants here - http://thegreatbritishbakeoff.co.uk/bakers/series-5/

Not that you can form an opinion from a photo and paragraph of text. I shall wait till the show starts to see who I take to. I don't recall ever disliking a GBBO contestant in the past, so hopefully this year will be no different :)
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Emms wrote: »
    There are potted biographies for all the new contestants here - http://thegreatbritishbakeoff.co.uk/bakers/series-5/

Not that you can form an opinion from a photo and paragraph of text. I shall wait till the show starts to see who I take to. I don't recall ever disliking a GBBO contestant in the past, so hopefully this year will be no different :)

I don't know, I've slightly got my eye on Jordan as being potentially annoying, a bit 'I'm mad me', although that could just be down to his hair :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    Either that or accusations of favouristism from Paul cause she's not had time to practice bakes because of AS exams.

I never saw favouritism from Paul & Mary towards Ruby, but I did perceive favouritism from the show/producers themselves.

And, like my previous post said, why oh why is Martha already getting more exposure than anyone else? Even if it is (so far) just from the DM. I would genuinely like to know. Why single out one person? Why can't their exposure be equal? A prelude to my perception of this so-called "favouritism"? I sure hope not :(

When Big Brother or The Apprentice does it, it's because they're gross "Reality" shows in the worst sense, but GBBO isn't supposed to be like that :(
  • Options
    hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    I never saw favouritism from Paul & Mary towards Ruby, but I did perceive favouritism from the show/producers themselves.

And, like my previous post said, why oh why is Martha already getting more exposure than anyone else? Even if it is (so far) just from the DM. I would genuinely like to know. Why single out one person? Why can't their exposure be equal? A prelude to my perception of this so-called "favouritism"? I sure hope not :(

When Big Brother or The Apprentice does it, it's because they're gross "Reality" shows in the worst sense, but GBBO isn't supposed to be like that :(

I find it quite offensive to categorise BB and TA together. I like both, but they are both in twp completely different leagues of RTV! TA is a thinking mans reality tv program, whereas BB is about as trashy as they come.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And, like my previous post said, why oh why is Martha already getting more exposure than anyone else? Even if it is (so far) just from the DM. I would genuinely like to know. Why single out one person? (
    Maybe because she is the youngest competitor ever on the competition (note to the mods - it's a competition, not a reality series).

Which seems to be a valid enough reason at this stage in proceedings.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Well, it's all about Nancy for me.

She's the spiritual successor to Christine and I'm anticipating some gloriously bitchy side-eyes from Mary (again!)
  • Options
    Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully the forum harpies won't take against anyone this year. Although there is evidence in this thread of that happening already.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I find it quite offensive to categorise BB and TA together. I like both, but they are both in twp completely different leagues of RTV! TA is a thinking mans reality tv program, whereas BB is about as trashy as they come.

Although not a fan of BB since BB5, I love TA. But the only reason I associated it with the trashiness of BB is because of their decision to cast Luisa in the last series. Total trashy move hiring someone whose business credentials pale in comparison to their headline-grabbing sexcapades and general thirst for fame. Was only her, to be fair though. As far as I've seen they haven't cast anyone like that previously.
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Maybe because she is the youngest competitor ever on the competition (note to the mods - it's a competition, not a reality series).

Which seems to be a valid enough reason at this stage in proceedings.

I agree! It's not Reality TV! It's a competition.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Already have a bit of an uncomfortable crush on the one with the beard. Iain is it? Ah. Beards.
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you seen the advert for Google where the fella tries to make a ladybird cake ?
    I wonder if this is to tie-in with GBBO ? :)
  • Options
    Eliz_EllenEliz_Ellen Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Done too.
    Also I pointed out to them that their "captcha" image purports to be made up of a "word pair" but only has one set of characters displayed!!