THAT Sound Effect

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
Forum Member
Why oh why oh why did they need to include the slapstick sound effect in Deep Breath when the Doctor is trying to creat a psychic link with Madame Vastra and it ricochets off her causing him to sleep. The best way to describe it is probably 'Badoink!'. It just made me cringe!

Any other parts of Deep Breath or other Who episodes that make you really cringe or think 'why did someone think that was a good idea?!'

Comments

• Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Burping wheelie bin springs to mind at great speed.
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,939
    Forum Member
    I think it should have come up on screen with a flash drawn around it like on the old Adam West Batman show!
    :)
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    Personal toe curlers.

The series 6 Amy Pond/River Song arc... every second of it.
    Floaty Jesus Doctor - Last Of The Timelords (I can live with Dobby)
    Slitheen design
    The Silver Cloak Gang. (The End of Time)
    The Olympics in Fear Her
    The Girl who waited/Souffle Girl/The Impossible Girl/Fish Fingers and Custard/ Raggedy Man...all the Matt Smith era Guff
    Time Beetle design in Turn Left.
    'Put Me Down. I Hate You' cartoon character kid to Cyberman - Nightmare in Silver.
    A Mothers love guff - Wardrobe Xmas nonsense.
    'Bannakaffalatta did good?'
    'Hey! Who turned out the lights?' (also Donna's face on that 'Nodule' thing as it turns around..more unintentionally funny than toe curling. )
    That weird poisoned dance/spin around/ collapse thing Matt Smith does in his Tux whilst leaning on his cane.- Lets Kill Hitler.
    Rory dressed as a Roman -A Good Man Goes To War.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt it was Wheatley approved.
  • FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    Personal toe curlers.

The series 6 Amy Pond/River Song arc... every second of it.
    Floaty Jesus Doctor - Last Of The Timelords (I can live with Dobby)
    Slitheen design
    The Silver Cloak Gang. (The End of Time)
    The Olympics in Fear Her
    The Girl who waited/Souffle Girl/The Impossible Girl/Fish Fingers and Custard/ Raggedy Man...all the Matt Smith era Guff
    Time Beetle design in Turn Left.
    'Put Me Down. I Hate You' cartoon character kid to Cyberman - Nightmare in Silver.
    A Mothers love guff - Wardrobe Xmas nonsense.
    'Bannakaffalatta did good?'
    'Hey! Who turned out the lights?' (also Donna's face on that 'Nodule' thing as it turns around..more unintentionally funny than toe curling. )
    That weird poisoned dance/spin around/ collapse thing Matt Smith does in his Tux whilst leaning on his cane.- Lets Kill Hitler.

Clearly Doctor Who isn't the right show for you. Try a drama.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A sound effect? Have we ran out of things to talk about?
    Forum Member
    Firegazer wrote: »
    Clearly Doctor Who isn't the right show for you. Try a drama.

Clearly you are under the impression every second of the show is perfection.

Ah well, good luck with that one.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I thought it was a very funny and well timed sound. Hilarious and made me laugh out loud.

As critiques go, that sound effect is pretty thin!
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing is, Doctor Who is a show with feet placed wide apart & a crooked walk. At times it edges into really dark horror & sci-fi territory. At other times it draws back into the family-friendly & even childish feel-good & humour zone.
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't mind the sound, I mean if we didn't have it, how would we have understood what would have happened?

Now - as for cheap gag where Strax throws newspaper at speed up to Clara at the window and she doesn't duck and gets knocked unconcious, really ?
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't forget The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang, and A Christmas Carol, in which he was dressed as a Roman on board a spaceship.

;-)
    Forum Member
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    Don't forget The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang, and A Christmas Carol, in which he was dressed as a Roman on board a spaceship.

;-)

Aye. In 'Pandorica Opens/Big Bang' he was a 'Roman'. (Auton) A Christmas Carol it was for saucy fun (although it was really a visual gimmick for Rory the Roman fans)

In 'A Good Man'..it was because..er...why exactly would someone dress as a Roman to go and rescue their wife and child when they are not a Roman? Is this Rory bloke supposed to be a 'real' person or a cartoon character to pin fan favorite clothes on. Sums up the Matt Smith era attitude to depth of character. That is why it curls my toes in A Good Man and not PO/Big Bang.

• Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    If it's down to sound-effects, I 'll go back to Matt Smith's era (and possibly David's too!).
    I liked the Tardis to land with that THUMP noise at the end of the materialisation! OK - they didn't do it EVERY time in the classic series either. But most times, the Tardis landed with a good THUMPING sound. In Matt Smith's era it sounded like a hammer on a tin can!!!! Awful & embarrasing:o
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    Now - as for cheap gag where Strax throws newspaper at speed up to Clara at the window and she doesn't duck and gets knocked unconcious, really ?

No, not really. The newspaper makes her fall back or she jumps back out of the way. Where was it said it knocked her unconscious? :confused:
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Back to Sound -effects:-

In Tom Baker's era ( and Peter davisons) they used the noise of the scanner opening for the doors opening/or vice versa!!
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back to Sound -effects:-

In Tom Baker's era ( and Peter davisons) they used the noise of the scanner opening for the doors opening/or vice versa!!

I am pretty sure they were different. One was distinctly higher pitched than the other. I think! :confused:
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aye. In 'Pandorica Opens/Big Bang' he was a 'Roman'. (Auton) A Christmas Carol it was for saucy fun (although it was really a visual gimmick for Rory the Roman fans)

In 'A Good Man'..it was because..er...why exactly would someone dress as a Roman to go and rescue their wife and child when they are not a Roman? Is this Rory bloke supposed to be a 'real' person or a cartoon character to pin fan favorite clothes on. Sums up the Matt Smith era attitude to depth of character. That is why it curls my toes in A Good Man and not PO/Big Bang.

As I understand it it's because the story of the Lone Centurion had had an impact across races and time. The Doctor felt that Rory dressed as a Roman would have more of an affect than Rory in jeans and a T-shirt. I think there was something mental in there as well - dressed as a Roman, Rory seemed to see himself as more of a soldier. Rory in civilian clothes held a lot more fear.
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    As I understand it it's because the story of the Lone Centurion had had an impact across races and time. The Doctor felt that Rory dressed as a Roman would have more of an affect than Rory in jeans and a T-shirt. I think there was something mental in there as well - dressed as a Roman, Rory seemed to see himself as more of a soldier. Rory in civilian clothes held a lot more fear.

Then give him a combat outfit and a gun. Sorted.:)
    After all the guy is going into battle, the enemy have guns, a space station full of the buggers. What is Rory going to do with a sword and heavy Roman gear weighing him down. Fine for a bit of rumpy pumpy with his wife in her saucy policewoman stripper outfit, but to go into battle wearing it..seriously. Rory is supposed to be a real person and not a cartoon character.

It was a cheap and lazy visual recall.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then give him a combat outfit and a gun. Sorted.:)
    After all the guy is going into battle, the enemy have guns, a space station full of the buggers. What is Rory going to do with a sword and heavy Roman gear weighing him down. Fine for a bit of rumpy pumpy with his wife in her saucy policewoman stripper outfit, but to go into battle wearing it..seriously. Rory is supposed to be a real person and not a cartoon character.

DOCTOR: The greatest military machine in the history of the universe.
    AMY: What is? The Daleks?
    DOCTOR: No. No, no, no, no, no. The Romans.
    Forum Member
    rwebster wrote: »
    DOCTOR: The greatest military machine in the history of the universe.
    AMY: What is? The Daleks?
    DOCTOR: No. No, no, no, no, no. The Romans.

Rory is a nurse from a small English village. He isn't a Roman solider.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rory is a nurse from a small English village. He isn't a Roman solider.

Good thing he looked the part, then.
  • comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, the sound effect was very out of place, weird
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Rory is supposed to be a real person and not a cartoon character.

Right. A real person that partially recalls years of military training implanted in him prior to two thousand years of being a plastic robot, who has to rescue his wife and child from a space station in the future alongside a giant lizard and a potato clone.

Are you still sure this is the show for you?

Seriously, Roman Rory is a mindset, not a costume. He remembers being a hero in Roman armour, and if you're going to be a hero, dress like one.
    Forum Member
    Johnnysauscepn

Right. A real person that partially recalls years of military training implanted in him prior to two thousand years of being a plastic robot, who has to rescue his wife and child from a space station in the future alongside a giant lizard and a potato clone.

Partially recalls eh? And this means how to fight like a Roman Soldier as well does it? Against a gun tooting army? Shame his Roman tactics and awareness of his enemy got lost then isn't it..Swords versus guns? This memory thing? does it also stop him grasping the reality of the situation or does he just dress as the Doctor tells him to.

Giant Lizard and a potato clone are irrelevant, they could be burping bins for all their one dimensionality, they are secondary characters. The actual scenario of the episode is irrelevant. It could have been a battle against the marshmallow people on Candy island for all I care. It really is nonsense to suggest that because Doctor Who has sci/fi, fun, ridiculous elements, be them secondary characters or scenarios that the main protagonist/s stops behaving as a real human. Rory is one of the main protagonists. Now for me there has to be the basics of believing in the protagonists actions and decisions, in this case there wasn't. For this viewer it was a visual recall for no other reason that titillation. It was dressing up dolls.

Can he turn on Roman mode like turing on a tap? It would have come in handy in later episdoes would it not?

Maybe Rory should just show up in his nurse outfit when needed as well.

Are you still sure this is the show for you?

I did not realise the right of criticism was reserved for proper fans like yourself.
    I also did not realise that my take on how certain fictional characters are written means I should not or can no longer be a fan of the show even when in this viewers option it stumbled through an extremely vacuous period in terms of character writing.

Seriously, Roman Rory is a mindset, not a costume. He remembers being a hero in Roman armour, and if you're going to be a hero, dress like one.

It's a costume, a visual gimmick, a recall for fans. He is not a Roman Soldier. Nothing to do with any depth of character. You have your opinion I have mine. I found it cartoon and it highlighted the awful characterisation of that era/series. You on the other hand did not.

Forgive I must have misread the OP's request for moments that make others cringe. Maybe I should have edited it so it contained no Moffat moments.

Bloody hell:D This place.
  • MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    Strax is starting to become annoying. A few misunderstandings stemming from racial or cultural differences is amusing but it's going too far and the humour is increasingly forced. Why is he - apparently - becoming totally ignorant of human anatomy afters spending MORE time with humans - it makes no sense.

It's like watching the awful scripts they gave to Cat in the later series of Red Dwarf - he apparently became more stupid and knew less about everything as he got older - which was actually cos the writer just had him reeling off catch phrases and had given all of his best lines to Kryten.

Why can't we have just one male supporting character in DW who isn't a moron?