• Options
    The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My top 3 are Ainley, Gomez and Simm.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    With The Master now a woman they'd have to redesign it as it always did look a bit like a vibrator!

Don't be silly.

Oh . . wait . . you may have a point.
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Delgado Jacobi Simm the rest pale in comparison
  • Options
    DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still not sure about the Master in the movie counting as a regeneration. The Master took the body over and ran it into the ground, as I remember. It was a human body with only one heart, not Gallifreyan.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dogmatix wrote: »
    I'm still not sure about the Master in the movie counting as a regeneration. The Master took the body over and ran it into the ground, as I remember. It was a human body with only one heart, not Gallifreyan.

Another question (or two)

Are the decayed versions of The Master played by Peter Pratt and Geoffery Beevers two seperate or just one incarnation?

Further to that if they are one incarnation are they just the decayed version of the Delgado Master and all three of them are playing the same incarnation?
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always assumed that Peter Pratt and Geoffrey Beevers were playing the same crispy character so the same incarnation. As for them being a badly burnt Delgado Master, I always assumed not for some reason though I don't *think* it was ever stated one way or t'other?
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dogmatix wrote: »

Doesn't that account for Tremas too?
  • Options
    dvirgodvirgo Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Delgado...defo. Missy no, i don't think so
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Roger Delgado was THE MASTER!!
    Missy is a good replacement.
  • Options
    RooksRooks Posts: 9,101
    Forum Member
    Delgado by a country mile followed by Ainley (particularly in Survival). Delgado played the single best bad guy in the shows 51 year history.

"Ah Miss Grant, regretfully I must kill you.. but I did so enjoy our chat" :)

I don't see any of the post-Ainley Masters as the character.
  • Options
    alphonsusalphonsus Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Delgado and Gomez. Both had their own interpretation of the Master and his/her motivations. Gomez in particular had a completely different take on how to achieve her aims - not attempt to confound the Doctor, but make his nature part of the scheme.

Ainley suffered from having to pretend to be Delgado (except in 'Survivall' where he showed a different aspect). Simm chewed every piece of scenery in sight, as did Roberts. Pratt and Beevers (with respect - it's the role they were given) were scenery. Jacobi doesn't really count to my mind as he had so little screen-time actually as the Master and as the Professor just irritated me with his over-niceness.
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all! Haven't visited the "Who" forum since the end of August, as I didn't want to come face to face with any spoilers to do with the current series.

Now that it's ended, I can happily visit again. :)

I voted for Anthony Ainley as my first choice, and Roger Delgado second. I do like Ainley's Master quite a lot. My most favourite AA Master quote has to be, "Oh, my dear Doctor, you have been naïve!" And my favourite AA Master story is The Mark of the Rani. Both Kate O' Mara and Anthony were great together! :D

I'm not sure about Series 8, to be quite honest. I'm still in two halves about how much I liked it. If I had to say now, I'd probably give S8 a 6, maybe a 7 overall.

Anyway, Nick Frost as Father Christmas eh? :cool: Looking forward to it. He's certainly the right size that Santa was.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone but Simm and Roberts. John Simm just didn't work for me as a character and Eric Roberts looked like he had stepped out of a trying too hard to look cool 80's American series e.g The Equilizer or the like.
  • Options
    highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    Delgado, Ainley then Jacobi for me.
  • Options
    Xmas_TrenzaloreXmas_Trenzalore Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always assumed that Peter Pratt and Geoffrey Beevers were playing the same crispy character so the same incarnation. As for them being a badly burnt Delgado Master, I always assumed not for some reason though I don't *think* it was ever stated one way or t'other?
    If you count Big Finish canon, not only are Pratt and Beevers the same decaying Delgado incarnation, but
    The Anthony Ainley Master encounters an alien creature in "Dust Breeding" that destroys the body he stole from Tremas leaving him in his burnt Beevers form again.

After gaining the ability to live as a Morphant Deathworm and being sucked into the Eye of Harmony, he escaped and ended up in early industrial England.

He then migrated to America and spent decades possessing mobsters before getting found out and sealed into a bricked off pent house, rotting back into Beevers.

After that, he was discovered and detained by UNIT and kept in a comatose state , before using his hypnosis to escape and steal back his TARDIS.

Some time after this, he received a new regeneration cycle from the Time Lords and regenerated into Alex Macqueen. The Eighth Doctor says they were probably buttering him up for something down the line...
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talma wrote: »
    Because Jacobi wouldn't have been able to do it otherwise, but he was fantastic for those few minutes. I loved John Simm's Master first time round, but Delgado was the first and best.

That makes sense, but I'd still like to have seen him play the role for more than a few minutes. They couldn't have him in a two parter at least so he could play the role of Yana in part 1, get revealed at the end and then spend a full episode in part 2 playing the Master? He didn't even get a full episode playing the character, just a few minutes!
  • Options
    Crocodile TearsCrocodile Tears Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    "Die doctor! Die doctor! Muwuaahahahahahahahaha!"
    ^Based on this cartoonish performance alone I could never vote for Anthony Ainley.

As for that ravenous-chicken-eating, ham-acting, dress-wearing, head-shaking , irritating embarrassment John Simm, he should hand his head in shame!

Best Actor: Delgado
    Best Actress: Gomez
    Most Potential: Jacobi
  • Options
    cezzycezzy Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Preferred John Simm in his first incarnation as the Master. Second story ruined him yet still pick him as a favourite. Michelle Gomez has the potential to be brilliant & looking forward to seeing how she plays out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    Everyone but Simm and Roberts. John Simm just didn't work for me as a character and Eric Roberts looked like he had stepped out of a trying too hard to look cool 80's American series e.g The Equilizer or the like.

That's a bit harsh. Edward Woodward was effortlessly cool. :cool:
  • Options
    ArthurJBearArthurJBear Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    I'd also add McQueen (Big Finish) to my list of Delgado, Ainley and Gomez
  • Options
    TorchwoodBoyTorchwoodBoy Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Delgado and Gomez for me.

The first and the last (so far.)

Both playing the master, in a way that makes it feel like even though they are fighting the Doctor, they still don't really want to hurt him if they don't have too. Both just wanted their friend back.
  • Options
    misfittmisfitt Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    Roger Delgado

Series 3 John Simm. - Probably the best 'Master' story imo. Turns out this incarnation was quite the nasty wife beater.

Michelle Gomez. - I'm really looking forward to seeing more after a rather brilliant debut, although slightly pushed to one side and rushed towards the end of DIH

Anthony Ainley

Derek Jacobi (short but wonderful)

Too young for Roger Delgado but completely agree about John Simm and Derek Jacobi. The latter's performance was too shortlived.

Best

M