Rochester & Strood By Election 20/11/14

MattXfactorMattXfactor Posts: 3,223
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What are people predicting will happen here in terms of vote share , what sort of % do you think UKIP are likely to win?

Also does anyone know at what sort of time tonight we can expect a result?

Couldn't find another thread created on this topic but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sky bet have UKIP to win 40-45% at odds of 15/8 and 45.01-50% at odds of 15/8 too so its looking very likely to be between 40-50%, with UKIP as short as 1/250 with some bookies to win the seat.

Comments

• .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    Lots of talk about this in the UKIP watch thread.

I think it will be roughly UKIP 40% Tories 35% Green 10% Labour 10% and 5% the rest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think UKIP will get around 45%. However, I also reckon they'll stand a good chance of losing the seat in the next general election.
  • MattXfactorMattXfactor Posts: 3,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think UKIP will get around 45%. However, I also reckon they'll stand a good chance of losing the seat in the next general election.

I agree with this , I certainly thing Reckless will have a very tough job come next may holding onto his seat.
  • SanguiniusSanguinius Posts: 1,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKIP to win obviously due to an incumbent candidate that knows the area and won with 49% of the vote at the last GE. If the Conservatives can get around 5-8% near him then they look really primed to take it back next year at the GE.
  • G926G926 Posts: 1,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm from Rochester.

One thing is for certain, going by the amount of personally addressed leaflets that have come through my letterbox in the last 2 weeks, none of the parties are campaigning on the environment :D

I have never been bombarded my so much propaganda.

A lot of it is also coming from third parties campaigning for the parties, obviously to get around the spending cap.

Reckless did nothing for Rochester and Strood when he was a Conservative IMO and I really hope he gets kicked into the wilderness. Unfortunately I think he may win, but like has been said above, I think he will lose the seat at the General.
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Live thread on R&S polling day over at the Telegraph, for anyone interested:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/byelection/11241798/Rochester-and-Strood-by-election-live.html

It's good to see a thread, which will keep me entertained, especially during the night, watching the results come in. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    G926 wrote: »
    I'm from Rochester.

One thing is for certain, going by the amount of personally addressed leaflets that have come through my letterbox in the last 2 weeks, none of the parties are campaigning on the environment :D

A lot of it is also coming from third parties campaigning for the parties, obviously to get around the spending cap.

Reckless did nothing for Rochester and Strood when he was a Conservative IMO and I really hope he gets kicked into the wilderness. Unfortunately I think he may win, but like has been said above, I think he will lose the seat at the General.

Are you near a polling station? getting any feeling of things e.g turnout etc.?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    for anyone interested:

Tom • 2 minutes ago
    Latest Poll.

."New Survation/Unite poll on Rochester: Ukip 48% (+48), Con 33% (-16), Lab 16% (-13), Lib Dems 1% (-16)." > Holy moly.
  • SanguiniusSanguinius Posts: 1,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's an old poll.

Would be very surprised if UKIP do get 48% of the vote.
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    08.10: David Cameron has ordered every single one of his MPs to Rochester. A lot of them have turned up and when they do they make sure to sign their name on a board in Rochester Conservative HQ to make sure their PM knows it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/byelection/11241798/Rochester-and-Strood-by-election-live.html

BIB - Worried, Dave? LOL :D

ETA: Forgot to add this bit:

The i paper has this funny analysis of how long the MPs actually bothered to stay. They camped out at Rochester station and clocked them in and out. As it turned out they couldn't get back to London fast enough - although some did pause to grab a sausage butty for the journey home.
    They report: that William Hague, leader of the house, could have been expected to set a good example, but after arriving at 11am on Monday he spent just 23 minutes wooing voters with Tory candidate Kelly Tolhurst.

Also a twitpic of the signatures of Tory MPs who have visited Rochester and Strood - err, recently:

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/535109221860122624/photo/1
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No I'm at work, will be voting later.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Labour's Emily Thornberry has caused a stir this afternoon:

https://twitter.com/EmilyThornberry/status/535450556199075840/photo/1

I think Labour are losing the plot. That's what happens when the ship you're sailing in has no rudder.
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    G926 wrote: »
    I'm from Rochester.

Yep. I find it hilarious that people are voting for Reckless because they want a change to the local government that he led. It deserves a facepalm.

Just voted on the way home from work and I must say I'm not impressed with the UKIP activist outside, he was demanding your polling number even though he has no right to know it and kept physically blocking the elderly Tory woman from collecting it too. There were no activists from other parties outside.

I think UKIP have it, but I don't think they will win by the margin they think they will.

Either way they won't hold the constituency come the GE.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labour's Emily Thornberry has caused a stir this afternoon:

https://twitter.com/EmilyThornberry/status/535450556199075840/photo/1

I think Labour are losing the plot. That's what happens when the ship you're sailing in has no rudder.

Probably took the photo to show her friends in Islington what a non-mansion house looks like.

"It was remarkable... I've never seen anything like it before"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2842783/Labour-MP-accused-outrageous-snobbery-tweeting-photo-remarkable-house-flying-St-George-s-flags.html

Oh dear. Just keep digging that hole for yourself...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    Just voted on the way home from work and I must say I'm not impressed with the UKIP activist outside, he was demanding your polling number even though he has no right to know it and kept physically blocking the elderly Tory woman from collecting it too. There were no activists from other parties outside.

I think UKIP have it, but I don't think they will win by the margin they think they will.

Either way they won't hold the constituency come the GE.

One of my pet hates, the activists outside the polling stations. They catch so many people off guard asking for their polling number.

And they look so shocked when you tell them no lol
  • Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    I think Reckless will hold/"gain" the seat, relatively comfortably.

I wonder what Labour are playing at. They held that seat in its Medway incarnation from 1997 to 2010 and now they don't even seem bothered.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Probably took the photo to show her friends in Islington what a non-mansion house looks like.

Apparently she tweeted it because she's never seen England flags on a house before.. outside of a World Cup I'm presuming. If so she's not travelled very much.. I see them all the time out of my train window when I travel across the country.
  • Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    Apparently she tweeted it because she's never seen England flags on a house before.. outside of a World Cup I'm presuming. If so she's not travelled very much.. I see them all the time out of my train window when I travel across the country.

That's something for them to ban if they get back in May. ;-)
  • DaccoDacco Posts: 3,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you really think so?, may well be some tactical voting to keep opponents out but Rochester pretty unlikly.
  • AliceyAlicey Posts: 5,294
    Forum Member
    Must be a culture shock for Emily. Bet they don't even have a latte making machine or a copy of the Guardian inside that house!

Labour are apparently claiming to not understand what is wrong with her tweet...which I think shows just how out of touch/contemptious they are of their working class base. It is lucky for them that they actually can take that vote for granted.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    I think Reckless will hold/"gain" the seat, relatively comfortably.

I wonder what Labour are playing at. They held that seat in its Medway incarnation from 1997 to 2010 and now they don't even seem bothered.

Thing is, they're going to get a third place at best whatever they do and so if they put in a real effort and they still don't get anywhere then it'll look even worse for them. Personally, I'd love to see them get bumped into fourth place by the Greens and for the Lib Dems to get another lost deposit. I'd love to see all three rotten main parties get trashed in this by-election one way or another.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .Lauren. wrote: »

Happens all the time when I vote here. Usually it's the Green party who ask for mine. I don't think I've ever walked into the polling station here and not been asked for it.
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    Reckless to hold, easily, but with far fewer votes than he got in 2010.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UKIP to win with absolutely no effect on the General Election next year or their importance to British politics in the long term.

So what's the fuss?
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    UKIP to win with absolutely no effect on the General Election next year or their importance to British politics in the long term.

So what's the fuss?

To the contrary, things could get very interesting indeed in May next year if the next parliament contains 20 SNP MPs, a dozen UKIP MPs and a handful of Green MPs all at the expense of both the Labour and Conservative parties.