Venice Ban Wheelie Suitcases

occyoccy Posts: 65,126
Forum Member
✭✭
To protect from noise pollution.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2842400/Venice-bans-wheelie-suitcases-noise-pollution-canal-bridges.html

I wonder if fines could happen in the UK for some stuff.

What would you like to ban people for using?

Comments

• QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    What would you like to fine people for?

Shit-posting.
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QT 3.14 wrote: »
    Shit-posting.

That'll be £20 please.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Middle lane hoggers on the motorways who crawl along at 51 mph, oblivious of what traffic is in the other two lanes.

Oh wait...
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering you cant catch a cab to the majority of the hotels, not being able to drag your suitcase along is going to be very inconvenient.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Authorities say that the noise of large tour groups dragging the bags over the bridges keeps local residents awake at night, and ultimately, amounts to noise pollution.
    Only wheelie suitcases with silent inflated tyres, rather than rubber ones, will be permitted in the lagoon city, under the strict new regulations brought in by the council.

I imagine a group of wheeled suitcases on a stone bridge, especially if it was cobbled, could cause a hell of a racket.

Time for enterprising locals to turn up with small carts with proper inflated tyres, like baggage trucks at the airport. Whack on several cases and deliver them to their destination.
  • Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    Considering you cant catch a cab to the majority of the hotels, not being able to drag your suitcase along is going to be very inconvenient.

Good - Venice over the years has become absolute tourist hell .Anything that puts people off can only be a good thing imo .
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chuck Wao wrote: »
    Good - Venice over the years has become absolute tourist hell .Anything that puts people off can only be a good thing imo .
    You mean apart from being under water and preposterously expensive? I'd sink it if it would make any difference
  • Sargeant80Sargeant80 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That photo :D

Guy carrying his suitcase like a pro and the girl dragging hers along, becase its the same size as her. :D

My view is that if you can't carry it, you have too much stuff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    That'll be £20 please.

Erm...No, this is rip off Britain so that'll be £200 PLEASE.
  • Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean apart from being under water and preposterously expensive? I'd sink it if it would make any difference

Ease the weight of the heaving masses on top will surely stop it sinking so quick ;-)
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    I imagine a group of wheeled suitcases on a stone bridge, especially if it was cobbled, could cause a hell of a racket.
    Even on a regular pavement - there's a small group of (presumably) colleagues alll with wheely-cases that go past here roughly the same time every evening, I first mistook it for a new regular flight going a bit lower than it should...
    Time for enterprising locals to turn up with small carts with proper inflated tyres, like baggage trucks at the airport. Whack on several cases and deliver them to their destination.
    Sounds like a good idea and at (presumably high) Venice prices you might expect the hotel to have something like this organised already. So it's probably the cheap crowd at fault with their cheap plastic cases with the cheap plastic wheels... unlike the owners of the expensive plastic cases with the expensive plastic wheels that make just as much noise but they spend loads and are therefore desirable unlike that lot who came in on the coach and who aren't there to buy lots of expensive posh tat*.

* and in case any lawyers from the Venice tourist board are watching, this somewhat standardised description for tourist souvenirs is applied equally to all destinations without prejudice, though may in future be modified subject to recept of properly formatted and pecuniarily-enhanced requests.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noise pollution ? I've never noticed wheeling a suitcase makes much noise. Our hotel had an entrance from a canal, so we splashed out on a water-taxi. But walking around I didn't find myself deafened by people dragging suitcases about.
    It doesn't surprise me though, Venice is stunningly beautiful, but it must be the rip-off capital of Europe. Anything to fleece the tourists.
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good, those things are a pain in the arse.

Not the invention itself which is quite clever and useful; more the lazy idiots who insist on trailing the thing three feet behind them at all times regardless of the surface they are on or the people around them.

The main problem on cobbles that I could see isn't the noise but the constant stopping every five paces and turning around to right an overturned or stuck case, or gumming up the stairs while trying to drag the thing up like bloody Sisyphus rather than just picking it up and carrying it for a bit.

Obviously there are some people that can't carry a heavy case but I like to think that someone would help them in those situations anyway. The fit and well people who do it however are unfortunately blocked by this site's naughty word filter.

And the people who try cutting across a huge throng of people while dragging one behind them should just be shot there and then.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    Only wheelie suitcases with silent inflated tyres, rather than rubber ones, will be permitted in the lagoon city, under the strict new regulations brought in by the council.

There's the answer.

I guarantee there will be a roaring trade of these type of wheelie suitcases in Venice before long. It's an obvious niche market to be exploited.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    I guarantee there will be a roaring trade of these type of wheelie suitcases in Venice before long. It's an obvious niche market to be exploited.

As far as I am aware there aren't presently any such cases on the market and there won't be by next May when these new laws are rolled out (pun intended:D). And even if the modern equivalent of Leonardo da Vinci does invent and sell such contraptions, unless sold worldwide, it is hardly going to help your average British, American or Japanese tourist unless they have to buy and decant their luggage at the airport. I somehow don't think the authorities have thought this whole thing out.
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    ... And even if the modern equivalent of Leonardo da Vinci does invent and sell such contraptions, unless sold worldwide, it is hardly going to help your average British, American or Japanese tourist unless they have to buy and decant their luggage at the airport. ...
    In a cupboard somewhere I have a fold-up L-shaped thing with wheels and a strap which magically turns a great multitude of moveable containers into wheeled moveable containers. The wheels are solid and it's not exactly a new thing but these may even still be on sale somewhere and all it needs is a slight adjustment to the design for the different type of wheel.

The items are small so a van at the exit of the airport would probably do quite well until you made enough money to bribe the security guards to let you park a bit closer.