Options

BBC Wimbledon Coverage 2012

Comments

• Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the ability to close the roof and the floodlights on, will we see Casualty also move to BBC2?
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fordj wrote: »
    I'm assuming they'll move the national lottery show at 8.20 to BBC2, strange then they didn't move Raiders to BBC2 at 6.30, it would have fitted in perfectly.
    Moving a programme from one channel to another means that scheduled recordings do not take place. Unless people who have set a recording are aware of the change, they end up missing the programme (cue barrage of complaints). In modern PVRs, postponing a programme should, in most cases, mean that the set recording remains in limbo until the EPG gets updated (meaning programme is not missed).
  • Options
    jeffersbnljeffersbnl Posts: 4,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the ability to close the roof and the floodlights on, will we see Casualty also move to BBC2?
    Unlikely- a large part of moving the Tennis is - probably - to make sure the major Shakespeare adaptation goes out at 9pm. The two comedy programmes are repeats, so Casualty can either be pushed back later or even to next week, depending on how late the Tennis goes.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty pathetic that on so-called “People”s Saturday” for much of the day on the BBC (for Freeview) there’s only been one match available to view, BBC2 being taken up with a rag-bag of tedious repeats (why couldn’t these be ditched for one week - would pensioners and shut-ins die without a daily Bargain Hunt?) and Athletics having hijacked the red button. For a brief period there was no tennis on any Freeview channel as they switched from BBC1 to 2 and then bizarrely back again a few minutes later.

And regardless of the eventual outcome it’s scandalous that NONE of the Rosol’s match was shown other than when they went around the courts and updated scores.

If the BBC weren’t such a bunch of Star****ers and jingoistic flagwavers we might actually see a good variety of matches at all times.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Problem is,of course,of not knowing how long the tennis will run for. Last night could easily have gone on till 10.00pm or later,in the event it was over in half an hour so they slotted a repeat of HIGNFY in,but as I said the problem is the unknown length of the match.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Pretty pathetic that on so-called “People”s Saturday” for much of the day on the BBC (for Freeview) there’s only been one match available to view, BBC2 being taken up with a rag-bag of tedious repeats (why couldn’t these be ditched for one week - would pensioners and shotins die without a daily Bargain Hunt?) and Athletics having hijacked the red button. For a brief period there was no tennis on any Freeview channel as they switched from BBC1 to 2 and then bizarrely back again a few minutes later.

I believe the techinical term is “A ****ing mess”.
    So as long as the tennis fan is catered for on both of the BBC's main channels for most of the day, you are happy and stuff everyone else.

Sadly, an all too common sentiment on DS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    So as long as the tennis fan is catered for on both of the BBC's main channels for most of the day, you are happy and stuff everyone else.

Indeed, although its usually the other way round!
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty pathetic that on so-called “People”s Saturday” for much of the day on the BBC (for Freeview) there’s only been one match available to view, BBC2 being taken up with a rag-bag of tedious repeats (why couldn’t these be ditched for one week - would pensioners and shut-ins die without a daily Bargain Hunt?) and Athletics having hijacked the red button. For a brief period there was no tennis on any Freeview channel as they switched from BBC1 to 2 and then bizarrely back again a few minutes later.

I believe the techinical term is “A ****ing mess”.

Actually, the technical term is that Regional News can't be shown on BBC Two until DSO has fully completed.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Actually, the technical term is that Regional News can't be shown on BBC Two until DSO has fully completed.

And it will continue to be the case in the English regions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »

Yes, how unreasonable to expect them to cover a grand slam, one of the two tournaments they have left, professionally and comprehensively. How foolish of me. Clearly Cash in the Attic, Bargain Hunt and Dad’s Army is way more vital.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the BBC weren’t such a bunch of Star****ers and jingoistic flagwavers we might actually see a good variety of matches at all times.
    Funny, I've just been watching a match between an American and a Spaniard, before that an American and a Chinese. Must have been imagining those
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, how unreasonable to expect them to cover a grand slam, one of the two tournaments they have left, to be covered professionally and comprehensively. How foolish of me. Clearly Cash in the Attic, Bargain Hunt and Dad’s Army is way more vital.
    Is coverage from 11:30am through until - most likely - 9pm or later not comprehensive enough for you? Is multiple streams online not a worthwhile option? Should athletics fans not be able to watch the European Championships on TV?

Why did they switch to BBC 2? They had to to allow the regional news to be shown on BBC 1- it can't be on BBC 2. Have you never read the complaints on here when the regional news gets dropped.
  • Options
    PorkSausagePorkSausage Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fear not. Harry Potter starts soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jeffersbnl wrote: »
    Funny, I've just been watching a match between an American and a Spaniard, before that an American and a Chinese. Must have been imagining those

Meantime the Tsonga match and the Rosol match went unscreened. The BBC follows the familiar names and the top seeds to the exclusion of practically everyone else. Michael Chang suffered at their hands, being the invisible man at Wimbledon for years. Savour the appearance of Baghdatis becuase all too often his matches get the bum’s rush from the Beeb as well. But of course he’s playing Saint Andy today so they’ve cleared BBC1 for the match.

Like I said, star****ers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fordj wrote: »
    I'm assuming they'll move the national lottery show at 8.20 to BBC2, strange then they didn't move Raiders to BBC2 at 6.30, it would have fitted in perfectly.

Makes sense as it'll push back the Shakespeare programming by 10 minutes. If they decide to postpone Secret Fortune then the lottery schedule will now be two weeks behind. Secret Fortune was meant to start last week but due to The Voice's grand final. In It to Win It aired last week instead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is coverage from 11:30am through until - most likely - 9pm or later not comprehensive enough for you?

Yes, if it’s on BBC1, 2 and red button. All too often it isn’t.....like today.
    Is multiple streams online not a worthwhile option?

I like to watch TV on TV. I’m peculiar like that.
    Should athletics fans not be able to watch the European Championships on TV?

It wasn’t scheduled in my listings so perhaps they could sod off and watch it online as you suggest?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meantime the Tsonga match and the Rosol match went unscreened. The BBC follows the familiar names and the top seeds to the exclusion of practically everyone else. Michael Chang suffered at their hands, being the invisible man at Wimbledon for years. Savour the appearance of Baghdatis becuase all too often his matches get the bum’s rush from the Beeb as well. But of course he’s playing Saint Andy today so they’ve cleared BBC1 for the match.

Or how about- the matches the majority of the audience want to see.

As for 'unscreened' - wasn't it available through the website, or cable and satellite? Should Athletics fans have no red button coverage at all? From next year YouView boxes will be able to access the streams and display them on your TV. Plenty of options if you really want to watch another match rather than just come onto a forum and moan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, if it’s on BBC1, 2 and red button. All too often it isn’t like today.
    I see, so you want three BBC outlets taken up and everyone else who'd like some alternative (non kids) viewing from the BBC during the daytime can just go and do one. Great attitude.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rather annoyed they've bumped Raiders

They could have put it on bbc hd
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn’t scheduled in my listings so perhaps they could sod off and watch it online as you suggest?
    You've clearly got a poor source of listings- it was scheduled - as you can see here
    BBC Red Button schedule
    Saturday 30 June
    Athletics
    1700-2035 Live coverage of the European Athletics Championship in Helsinki.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rather annoyed they've bumped Raiders

They could have put it on bbc hd
    BBC HD is (thanks to the BBC Trust) or for simulcasts or later airing of programmes shown on other BBC channels. Anyway, its due to be replaced by BBC Two HD.
  • Options
    Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Constant Changing of channels really annoys me
    why is this :confused:
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,023
    Forum Member

Tsonga is seeded higher than Roddick and Ferrer which is the match they had on BBC1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbedin73 wrote: »
    Constant Changing of channels really annoys me
    why is this :confused:
    Earlier it was because the regional news can't be shown on BBC 2 for technical reasons.

Now its because they like to put major events- and Murray on a Saturday night at Wimbledon is a major event- on BBC 1. For some strange reason if an event moves from BBC 2 to BBC 1 most of the audience switches over. If an event moves from BBC 1 to BBC 2 a large portion of the audience stays watching BBC 1. Strange but true. Seems like the more 'causal' viewer expects big events to be on BBC 1.
  • Options
    Riley_StuRiley_Stu Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    I don't like Wimbledon and I am getting worried that it will be on until at least 11pm is that true?

I am so worried as I want casualty to be on :(