Faster way to transfer from Galaxy S4?

TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
Forum Member
Seems my files take an awful long time to copy over from my Samsung Galaxy S4 to my PC-- average about 40 mins. Okay there may be 2 or 3000 pictures but even so that's seem over the top.

I tried getting AirDroid but twice it said it installed but I could not find it on my phone, so gave up. Checked downloads, apps, nothing.

So anyone any ideas? My pc and the drive the files are going to are fine, high spec so no problem on that end.
Thanks
TH

Comments

• Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have the files on your memory card?

If so it might be worth putting it in a memory card reader and trying that? Not sure if USB 3 will make a difference or if the limit is just the read speed of the memory card?

I normally just leave my S5 copying across whilst I'm doing something else and takes a bit longer than yours even though that's USB 3.

Does your phone not get automatically backed up to Dropbox or something like that anyway?

Also if you got some backup software you could just backup the latest files and not all of them everytime.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The S4 is a USB 2.0 device so its not especially fast compared with 3.0 or the considerably faster 3.1. I've used Send Anywhere to transfer files via WiFi make sure you use the PC app and not the web browser. Memory card speed also effects transfer rate.

https://send-anywhere.com/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    I have an S4 and I never have issue with it...maybe you dropped yours or something? :/
  • TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    Thanks guys.

At the moment it saves pictures direct to the phone. If I can get it to save to the card then I can just buy another one, remove the full one and continue using the camera with that, then later transfer the files at my leisure.

It's the waiting that's a pain. That turned out to be almost an hour, with the phone starting at 3 hours, quickly to one, then slowly down to 40 minutes, down to 25, down to 16, back UP to 21, and every second thereafter to the end. Bloody hell!

If I can't get it to save to card I may try that send anywhere thing thanks.
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have to back up the whole phone every time?

Just wondering if you could just do one backup to your PC and then back that up to DVD/External hard drive and then just backup the latest files after that (should only take a few seconds then).
  • gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should definitely consider cloud backup or physical backup to you pc more regular. 2-3000 pictures on your phone not backed up is risky. Your phone could get water damage or could suddenly become faulty so you could potentially lose everything.
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trollheart wrote: »
    It's the waiting that's a pain. That turned out to be almost an hour, with the phone starting at 3 hours, quickly to one, then slowly down to 40 minutes, down to 25, down to 16, back UP to 21, and every second thereafter to the end. Bloody hell!

The reason it does this is because Windows automatically assumes all files are the same size and calculates the transfer time based on this, then it constantly recalculates the times when the files sizes differ.